Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Creepy Crawley Official Match Day Thread  (Read 33671 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 19:08:26 »

I admire our young fan's commitment. Can't be easy in these corporate times. So many of their contemporaries just take the lobotomised route and support Chelsea etc.

Quite right Reg. I think any millennial who's resisted a lifetime's onslaught of consumer-oriented marketing and does something positive to support their local side deserves credit. Good on the little tykes, bless 'em.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 20:38:09 »

Interestingly, we have more or less the same record as last season at the same stage, 7 points from 4 games, and are 9th. Also only 4 goals scored, but we've conceded one more this year.  Last season it was the historic shitness up front which cost.

Did nobody tell the silly buggers to stop at 3 or 4 points after 4 games, as per 85-86 / 11-12? If so, we'd clearly have been on for a runaway title.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #152 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 09:25:56 »

I hate flags and banners at football nearly as much as I hate drums and other musical instruments but their self-appointed ownership of 'atmosphere' makes me cringe.

However, at least they try to be positive which is something lacking in general.
This is exactly the same for me.

No drums, no trumpets, no flags and no banners.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
hobodan

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 11:01:40 »

'Refugee's welcome' banner.  What a joke 😂

Introducing politics into a sports club is pointless. Every person will have a different opinion. It will only encourage those who disagree to make a 'refugee's NOT welcome' banner.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 11:06:25 »

From memory after all the fuss said banner turned out to be size of a bloody tea towel!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 12:02:56 »

'Refugee's welcome' banner.  What a joke 😂

Introducing politics into a sports club is pointless. Every person will have a different opinion. It will only encourage those who disagree to make a 'refugee's NOT welcome' banner.
Fully agree, although it didn't stop a few on here throwing their dummies out the pram when PdC took over.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 13:57:10 »

Fully agree, although it didn't stop a few on here throwing their dummies out the pram when PdC took over.

That's not the same thing, is it? An individual making an individual choice, based on their own views?

It's All Good..............
EldeneRed

« Reply #157 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 14:04:32 »

As a young fan who tends to sit with the GWReds guys, I would say that it's being overly passionate in our support. It's like a crazy love.

This is our town, this is our team, this is who we are etc. It probably just looks like youthful bravado to the older fans who've seen and done it all before, but it's very much part of the match day experience for the younger group, experiencing the ups and downs with much more intensity.

The flags and banners are our way of emulating "ultra" culture, and showing our extreme love and dedication to the club.

Some may see it as cringe, but it's quite a gripping feeling when you're not yet filled with the apathy of 30+ seasons of 3rd tier football.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 15:41:10 »

I'm more of an older fan than a younger one and I thought the banner at the Exeter game was superb, FWIW
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #159 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 15:56:11 »

I'm an old fit and I enjoy the stuff the gw reds do. They get behind the team in their own way. At least they are trying to create an atmosphere. Good luck to them.
If you've got one of them on twitter giving it some then a little bit of youthful hubris is not surprising and yes they may think they are more important than they are, again a bit of hubris.
The refugee flag was a grade a fuck up though but maybe they're allowed one in a while.
Overall I enjoy their stuff.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 16:35:54 »

The banners are fine, it's the direct abuse to Taylor that was out of order

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman

« Reply #161 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 17:28:53 »

The banners are fine, it's the direct abuse to Taylor that was out of order
I hadn't heard this, why did he get abuse?

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 17:41:51 »

Cos he's a fan of the piss stains
Peter Venkman

« Reply #163 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 17:55:30 »

Cos he's a fan of the piss stains
Hes not though, he said in an interview pre game that he has never supported the Pox but his wife's family do which was why he was at Wembley.

Phew....Matty Taylor has never supported the Pox but a lot of his family do. Cheesy

I guess the abuse does show an utter stupidity from a section of our fans without knowing the facts, I do despair sometimes.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 28, 2017, 17:57:11 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Peter Venkman

« Reply #164 on: Monday, August 28, 2017, 18:04:20 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cfw1j

47.00 mins into the programme.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: