Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morecambe vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 20122 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, August 20, 2017, 17:06:13 »

Flitcroft got a little "defensive" in the post match interview when questioned about the style of football (even though the interviewer didn't mean it in the way he took it).

I haven't seen us play yet, but couldn't really give a toss what style of football we play this year as long as we get out of this division.  From what I have heard and read the wind played a big part in the performance yesterday, but out of interest, where are we on the Williams > Hoofball scale based on how we are playing at the moment?

Think Howard Wilkinson - get it forward quickly, no messing about at the back, but with creativity upfront so when we get in possession the other teams half we can switch.  For this league it's probably very effective, especially when you are doing it on purpose.  Most players at this level just lack composure, which is why it's more of a scramble.  We seem to be doing it on purpose so we are quite effective.  In both away games, I've seen enough to suggest we'd have upped our game if needed, getting in front meant we could be less worried about attacking intent.  Exeter passed through us, very few will try that so coming out of that game with a result was a good effort.  Flitcroft has set us up to be one of the better teams at nonsense football.  I think if we start to get a good run of results we'll open up a little more, using the confidence.  The flip side is that if we aren't getting results it won't bring the crowd along (although the effort may keep them onside I guess).
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, August 20, 2017, 17:27:31 »

After 5 games, last season Tails put up a post, backed by many who thought we'd easily be mid table, questioning those who thought the campaign would be a relegation battle.

To be fair I think if we'd kept hold of Furlong and Doughty we may have stayed up...

But you are right, too early to judge. Performances haven't been great, but effective and I think we've already taken on 2 of the better teams and got results. The key, for me, will be towards the end of the year when more injuries / suspensions / lack of fitness start to hit. If we are as fit as Flitcroft said he wanted us to be then this is where we can and probably will take teams to the cleaners.

But as others have said, we look like we could quite comfortably take a pasting on a bad day. But I think it'll be rare. We've had to show some fight already this season and it's gone our way. I don't think top 7 is out of our range by any means.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, August 20, 2017, 19:20:40 »

To be fair I think if we'd kept hold of Furlong and Doughty we may have stayed up...

But you are right, too early to judge. Performances haven't been great, but effective and I think we've already taken on 2 of the better teams and got results. The key, for me, will be towards the end of the year when more injuries / suspensions / lack of fitness start to hit. If we are as fit as Flitcroft said he wanted us to be then this is where we can and probably will take teams to the cleaners.

But as others have said, we look like we could quite comfortably take a pasting on a bad day. But I think it'll be rare. We've had to show some fight already this season and it's gone our way. I don't think top 7 is out of our range by any means.

Think we'll have a much better idea, although not yet the full picture after, the next 4 games. 2 home and then 2 away. 

If we are to make the CG a fortress then, we'll need to see a start v Crawley and Barnet. Then if we are to get a pasting, Luton away would seem a very good candidate, followed by mid week by Notts County who seem a bit better then of late
digby

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, August 20, 2017, 21:31:11 »

The wind did play a big part in the game - it was so bad that one of our tents didn't survive Friday night !!  Eek

It was the first time I'd seen the new look team of this season (missed the 2 home games as was camping 'oop Norf').
Totally different from last season, a good battling gritty performance !

The way we're set up with 2 defensive midfielders means we're going to be very difficult to beat -both Linganzi and Dunne put in great battling performances. But at a cost maybe, as we had very little creativity (only McDermott) and resorted to lots of long balls down the wings that weren't very successful due to the wind !

I was very impressed with Mullin, he never stopped running and was a continual thorn in their side. Norris looked really up for it and looks a much changed player from last season, just needs to get a few goals. Woolery didn't stand out and I didn't see much of his alleged dazzling pace, but to be fair the long balls punted up to him were of very poor quality ! Lancashire was a rock at the back and had a very solid game but the one player that failed to impress was Purkiss who looked a bit shaky and let his man get past him too often altho he did help in the build up to the goal !

All in all, a very steady, hard working combatative performance but a bit dull to watch - but the 3 points was the main thing  Grin
Flashheart

« Reply #94 on: Sunday, August 20, 2017, 21:33:59 »

I think we're going to like Mullin. He looks like a right nuisance.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 07:58:52 »

Been away on holiday... so 3 games in and top of the league how do people think we are actually going to do?
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:22:46 »

Been away on holiday... so 3 games in and top of the league how do people think we are actually going to do?

We should win the league and win it comfortably, anything less would be failure.  One hell of a lot of dross and garbage and we are slightly better.

Having said that in League 1 next season, we'd need to change quite a few.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:32:18 »

I think we're going to like Mullin. He looks like a right nuisance.

Yeah he's already becoming a bit of a cult hero. Plus he's found the net a few times early days which always bodes well
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #98 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:54:59 »

We should win the league and win it comfortably, anything less would be failure.  One hell of a lot of dross and garbage and we are slightly better.

Having said that in League 1 next season, we'd need to change quite a few.
I think the aim is promotion, yes we have a large budget for this league but so do Coventry, Luton, Mansfield and FGR, all probably higher than our budget.

To win the league will take a few more signings and some good team spirit but it is doable, I wouldn't consider getting into the play offs as being a failure but we should aim higher.

As for next season if/when we do go up then it will be almost a whole new squad I am sure as Flickers likes horses for courses, almost all the players he has signed so far have been there and done it in this league and know what is expected and fitness and motivation levels needed.

That will be different in a higher league and I am sure we would see wholesale changes if we do go up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:59:30 »

We'll grind out results. Probably won't win many games by more than the odd goal. The football won't be pretty and all the teams we play (...and beat) won't rate us and won't be able to understand why we're going so well.

We will do that all season and get promoted
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 10:56:58 »

We'll grind out results. Probably won't win many games by more than the odd goal. The football won't be pretty and all the teams we play (...and beat) won't rate us and won't be able to understand why we're going so well.

We will do that all season and get promoted

Pretty much what Bolton did last year in League One
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 12:18:32 »

Yep, I can well imagine being the fan of an opposing team scratching my head at how this opposing team is doing so well, even now I reckon all three teams we've played are looking at the league wondering how on earth we've come out on top after 3 games.  We certainly don't have to worry about the pitches getting cut up in the winter this season!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 13:53:13 »

I think the aim is promotion, yes we have a large budget for this league but so do Coventry, Luton, Mansfield and FGR, all probably higher than our budget.
I've read this a few times and whilst I realise of course that they have an uber rich vegan owner I've yet to see any actual evidence of this.* They didn't make many signings in the summer and certainly none of note whilst we all know that Woolery came to us instead of them... Hmmm

Edit: *meaning of course, I have yet to see any evidence of them having a bigger budget than us - not of having an uber rich vegan owner  Wink
« Last Edit: Monday, August 21, 2017, 13:55:20 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #103 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 15:08:38 »

I've read this a few times and whilst I realise of course that they have an uber rich vegan owner I've yet to see any actual evidence of this.* They didn't make many signings in the summer and certainly none of note whilst we all know that Woolery came to us instead of them... Hmmm

Edit: *meaning of course, I have yet to see any evidence of them having a bigger budget than us - not of having an uber rich vegan owner  Wink
Yeah thats true, he hasn't put his money where his mouth is when it comes to transfer fees...yet...but I am sure wages wise they will compete with us even if they survive on 2,000ish crowds much as Crawley did.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 16:33:05 »

Edit: *meaning of course, I have yet to see any evidence of them having a bigger budget than us - not of having an uber rich vegan owner  Wink

That's a tad Daily Mailesque isn't it! 'rich vegan owner'. You've missed his sexual preference and value of his house. Shame on you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: