Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 30 Years since the Hungerford shootings  (Read 1758 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 14:56:47 »

A sad anniversary (tomorrow) for a familiar Town End 'face' who will be known to older TEF-ers.  He still regularly attends home games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/hungerford_massacre
THATCHAMRED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:05:04 »

Can't believe it's that long ago I was 16 then and had been to Swindon shopping with some mates,when the bus arrived back in Hungerford it was in lockdown!

Trevor lived around the corner from me in hillside road when I was a kid. Still see him in the Merlin and at games still sporting his Ben Sherman clobber!
« Last Edit: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:07:40 by THATCHAMRED » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:06:18 »

I was 17, sad event, remember it well.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:31:41 »

Thanks for sharing, PF

A truly shocking event at the time. No one at the time could really conceive of killing sprees in this country and least of all in the gentle, homely Kennet valley.

I hadn't known of Trevor Wainwright's Townend connection. I'm sure all our thoughts will be with him for this anniversary tomorrow.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:34:11 »

I was 13 at the time and during the school holiday I was visiting a mate who lived on the other side of Hungerford when it happened.

My mum had dropped me off earlier and then when the news broke she desperately tried to enter Hungerford to find me and pick me up. These were the days before mobiles, the town had been put into lockdown and there was no way we could contact each other. I'll never forget her reaction and relief when we eventually found each other afterwards.

He'd shot one of my classmates - she lost a leg - and subsequently he killed himself in my school. I can't believe it's been 30 years.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 16:38:49 »

I broke my leg playing football and had an appointment at pmh. All quiet when i went in. As I came out ambulances arriving carrying some of the injured / dead.didnt have a clue until I got home and saw the news.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 18, 2017, 17:31:05 »

Yes, it was indeed a sad day. 

I had my first alcoholic drink in the back bar (name?) of Trevor's parents' pub the Belle View, now called Longs I think. A nice traditional landlord/landlady couple. I used to stand with Trevor and others at the back of the Town End, and went to quite a few away games with the same group in the late sixties. Sunday nights were spent at the Bell at Purton Stoke, happy days... Trevor and I lost touch but did chat online briefly a few years ago via the Adver forum.

Saw his photo on the BBC online feature today. My thoughts are with you Trev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: