Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs West Ham U21s  (Read 15847 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 09:25:26 »

It would make me so happy if that happened
Unfortunately there is probably more chance of us signing Gareth Bale.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 09:29:19 »

That wouldn't make me as happy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 09:57:52 »

I noticed that last night all the Div 4 teams had a problem seeing off the kids. Now this could be a Div 4 managers conspiracy to kill off the comp.... make sure the final is Spurs U 21, playing at their home ground v some norvern monkeys, or it could be that Div 4 football is just a different beast. I'd hazard a guess that Luke's team would have seen off the junior Hammers, yet been completely unsuited to Div 4.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 10:17:23 »

Adver report, WHU 3 shots on target - all converted!!  Problems at the back?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 10:30:38 »

Adver report, WHU 3 shots on target - all converted!!  Problems at the back?
The first goal sounded like it was a defensive error but the other 2 didn't.

Haven't seen the goals but maybe Vigs would have saved 1/2/3 of them?

But, if you don't risk Henry in games like this then you don't know how he will cope when played in anger and not in a crappy cup game.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 10:32:17 »

Too early to say for me, I'm only judging it on the league games.

If we ship a couple Saturday then maybe but 2 in 2 league games doesn't concern me.

The standard of goals from Norwich were pretty high quality and I'm guessing those kids last night are technically solid so I don't care we conceded against them
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 10:35:38 »

Can't speak for Carlisle but we only conceded one vs Exeter due to fortune and finishing.

Not too worried yet about the defence though. We started the season quite leaky under Di canio too

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 10:48:25 »

Can't speak for Carlisle but we only conceded one vs Exeter due to fortune and finishing.

Not too worried yet about the defence though. We started the season quite leaky under Di canio too
Indeed.

Under Macari when we won this league in 85/86 we conceded 14 goals in our first 8 games with only one clean sheet.

Under PdC when we won this league in 11/12 we conceded 15 goals in our first 12 league games but we had 4 clean sheets in those.

Last season we had let in 17 goals in the first 12 matches.

So far 2 conceded in 2 league games isn't that bad, the only time we have let more than a goal a game in has been as BD says in the cup games against teams from much higher leagues.

Far too early to say if there is a defensive problem, we sound a lot stronger at the back than we did in the last couple of seasons already though.

Flashheart

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:01:40 »

If my memory serves me right, we were shaky under PDC to begin with.

Then, just by chance, McCormack filled in at defence due to injuries and turned out to be a revelation. There he stayed, and our defence frailties were a thing of the past.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:03:11 »

At Carlisle I wasn't too worried about the back four, they looked fairly solid. It was the lack of any cover from midfield that was worrying.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:05:20 »

If my memory serves me right, we were shaky under PDC to begin with.

Then, just by chance, McCormack filled in at defence due to injuries and turned out to be a revelation. There he stayed, and our defence frailties were a thing of the past.
Our last 3 forays in this league the early season results were...

Under PdC  first 13 league games WLLLLWWWLWLDW finished 1st
Under Wise first 13 league games WWWWWWLWLDDDD finished 3rd
Under Macari first 13 league games LLWDWLLLWWWWW finished 1st

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:07:57 »

The first goal sounded like it was a defensive error but the other 2 didn't.

Haven't seen the goals but maybe Vigs would have saved 1/2/3 of them?

But, if you don't risk Henry in games like this then you don't know how he will cope when played in anger and not in a crappy cup game.

Bad error for the first goal (Dunne & Lancashire), second one stemmed from Dunne being caught in possession and the third just making use of space in behind a full back (can't remember which one).
But big spaces in behind the full backs (mainly Hussey) throughout the game which West Ham exploited.

Have noticed in all of the games so far that Dunne & Lingazi don't play as out & out holding midfielders.
On Saturday there were instances where both were up near the halfway line and Exeter found it easy to play through & behind them to attack the defence.
Hopefully once they have worked each other out, then one will sit when the other one goes forward.
Also, when Conroy plays then the defence should have a bit more confidence to just push up a bit, as he is probably the quickest of them.

I'm sure DF will pick up on any tweaks that need doing & react accordingly.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:10:01 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 12:44:04 »

The goals are up now (starts at 2.29 in).  Sloppy defending for the first two WH goals and bad luck for the third.  Can understand why the Ref gave a free kick instead of a pen at first. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10990902/checkatrade-trophy-round-up-wins-for-man-city-notts-county-west-ham-and-swansea
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 12:53:17 »

It's definitely the midfield. We were overrun at times by both Exeter and the Irons. Seems strange playing, essentially, 2 holding midfielders.

Last night, obviously McDermott isn't match fit and you won't get much cover from Iandolo - ditto Brophy.

The other thing that worries me slightly is we have only scored 1 goal from open play - Woolery. Another pointer to the midfield not really clicking.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 12:59:26 »

We've looked far less solid than I thought we would so far.
We've looked far more threatening than I thought we would.

Call it a draw.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: