Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread  (Read 23512 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #120 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 15:31:48 »

The issue wasn't the quality of delivery, which was very impressive, or the numbers but the fact he makes a move to come nearly every time but does not look like getting close on most.  That disrupts the defence, it is very similar to the issue David James had.  Vigs is clearly a good keeper and generally has good instincts, just this one area.  Fortunately most teams are shit at corners, so it shouldn't be a big problem.
Very much this, shotstopping Vigs is excellent but he hates coming for crosses and rarely gets to them, as Rob says.

That is fortunate as we conceded 14 corners yesterday, 10 vs Carlisle and 10 vs Norwich. (as a comparison in those 3 matches so far we have collected only 8 in total).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 15:58:12 »

Very much this, shotstopping Vigs is excellent but he hates coming for crosses and rarely gets to them, as Rob says.

That is fortunate as we conceded 14 corners yesterday, 10 vs Carlisle and 10 vs Norwich. (as a comparison in those 3 matches so far we have collected only 8 in total).

All keepers are good at shot stopping...it's the easy part.  It's also the most eye catching part. The difficult stuff are.. the more technical aspects, like how you control your defenders, command the box at set plays, and distribute the ball.

These abilities are less eye catching, but more important.  It's why keepers often improve with age, as experience counts.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 17:55:41 »

The corner count is probably high due to the 'get rid quick' defending - not pretty, but effective. Takes some getting used to after the fannying about of the past few seasons.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 08:18:54 »

I'd rather be facing corners (which of the 34 we've faced we've conceded 0 goals) than an attempt to play out which would inevitably give the ball away.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 08:19:17 »

Well done to Flitcroft for changing it at halftime otherwise we would have lost - League 2 football comes to the CG going to take a bit of getting use to but if we can play like we did in the second half then we will get use to it quite quickly. Exeter beaten play off finalists so not a bad result in my book...they seem to be trying which is not something you could say at any stage last season it`s just the skill level that is not very good. Onwards and upwards

Bathtime
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #125 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 09:09:33 »

I'd rather be facing corners (which of the 34 we've faced we've conceded 0 goals) than an attempt to play out which would inevitably give the ball away.
I agree totally, I always advocate a defender getting rid of the ball by the fastest method.

None of this fannying around playing out of defence and kick it as far into the stand or upfield so you can regroup at the back in preperation of the next delivery into the box.

I just prefer the keeper to either come for the corners and claim them or stay on his line and let the defence sort out the crosses, many times Vigs seems to do neither with confidence at corners.

Peter Shilton never came out to collect corners he never commanded his area he always left that to the defenders, but he made the choice to not come out....Vigs must do the same if he is not confident or strong enough to claim crosses/corners.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Chrystovski

« Reply #126 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 09:51:38 »

A fair result in the end but plenty to be optimistic about.

I thought we looked a League 2 outfit. Solid, unspectacular but I think it will prove to be effective at this level. Basically it's what we've been crying out for these past few months/years.

I thought Dunne was a concern and was caught out of position too much, he was neither protecting the defence or midfield.

Our wingers were ineffective, until DF made the switch to 4-3-3 at HT. But 2nd half I thought we were much better. Norris looked like a different player and Woolery looks like he will get you 20-25 goals a season. His movement and pace will cause all sorts of bother for the oppo.

I liked the look of our defence, no nonsense and organised.

I think Vigs is being asked to do a different role to his 2 previous seasons and will need some time to adapt.

Exeter will be up there this season, so definitely a point won rather than 2 lost.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #127 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 09:56:05 »

Agree with most on here.

I personally don't think we need Dunn & Lingzanhi in the team at home but that's just me.

Exeter are a very strong team in this division and that squad is virtually the same as last season and you could see they know eachother and what they have to do inside out.

A good point imo
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 10:25:39 »

I thought Dunne was a concern and was caught out of position too much, he was neither protecting the defence or midfield.

Our wingers were ineffective,

I liked the look of our defence, no nonsense and organised.

Agree about Dunne, not happy with him in that role.  One winger was totally ineffective but Brophy showed us glimpses and helped make our goal but the fact that in the first half he had to come inside all the time made it easy for their defence, he doesn't have an effective right foot.  My concern about the defence is that we did get turned once or twice and the lack of pace could crucify us.  It was a good point at the end of the day/

I see Tisdale complaining about the handball in the box, I have some sympathy with him there but from our end of the DRS the "goal" he claimed was over the line was not, although we did live a charmed life for a few seconds!
Panda Paws

« Reply #129 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 10:31:40 »

I personally don't think we need Dunn & Lingzanhi in the team at home but that's just me.

Agreed - Thomas and one of them should be fine defensively and CT is better on the ball than either (despite him being persona non grata to some). JG, Mullin, Woolery and Norris in front ot them.

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 11:46:26 »

This is an interesting point.... these days because of player churn, I'm not sure that teams carry much forward from the previous year, but I suppose it is possible that both Carlisle and Exeter could go well this season.

Every one of Exeter's starting 11 was there last season, and of course the manager has been there for forever and a day.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 12:11:54 »

Every one of Exeter's starting 11 was there last season, and of course the manager has been there for forever and a day.

Well done to them... when we went there in the Boycott trophy back in November 16, they were Conference bound on the back of 1 home win in 17 games overlapping the previous season. Most clubs would have binned Tisdale....

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 12:24:45 »

Well done to them... when we went there in the Boycott trophy back in November 16, they were Conference bound on the back of 1 home win in 17 games overlapping the previous season. Most clubs would have binned Tisdale....

Yes (presumably you mean 06), and even last season their home form pre-Christmas (2 points from 11 games I think) was dismal - I think they set some kind of all time FL record with it.

Despite that, they reached the playoffs with some exceptionally good away form... and all of the relevant personnel still seem to be there, meaning that they are bound to start the season pretty well and the away form should remain very strong.

That was probably the hardest home game of the lot.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Monday, August 14, 2017, 15:51:46 »

Yes (presumably you mean 06),

No this game....

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20171203

Apparently we won on pens...
« Last Edit: Monday, August 14, 2017, 16:14:00 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore