Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread  (Read 23684 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:02:09 »

The foul wasn't given though Theakston. The ref only stopped the game as Norris had a head knock so he was forced to stop the game and give a 'drop ball' which Vigs basically just picked up. For me the correct course of action would have been to whack the ball down the field out of play and give Exeter the ball back as THEY had the ball when the game was stopped. Instead Vigs took advantage and started an attack. I would have been livid had that happened to us.
Yes I know that but it should have been a foul, our players were pissed off it wasn't so I don't blame them. Personally I wouldn't have given them the ball back for kicking one of our players in the head. Kicking the ball back isn't a rule and on this occasion I think we did the right thing.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:16:18 »

Interesting and enjoyable afternoon yesterday.  There was a decent atmosphere, an animated touchline and plenty of spirit.

Mullins and Norris especially looked a handful upfront. Woolery's pace and also control will give opposition defences considerable pause for thought. An exciting prospect. Would love to see him fed by the likes of Luongo. Link ups with Smith and Goddard to come. Defence looked slow but fairly well organised. Conroy to come back.  Should be ok for this League.  Vigs was however poor on crosses in the first half but alert as ever and looking as if he may be an important launcher of counter-attacks. I enjoyed seeing a few balls from full back played down the channels after last season's possession at all costs approach from rearguard positions. Forwaaard! I thought Dunne and Linganzi broke up play well but was also concerned to see them overrun at times by Exeter's superior skill and fluidity in that department.  Not sure whether this is about formations or player mixes?

As Flitcroft said, a draw was fair. Exeter played the better football.  However, if we keep our spirit and organisation, it looks like we have the talent to win more than we lose.  In this league, that alone can be enough to have you knocking on the play-offs door.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:24:41 »

Yes I know that but it should have been a foul, our players were pissed off it wasn't so I don't blame them. Personally I wouldn't have given them the ball back for kicking one of our players in the head. Kicking the ball back isn't a rule and on this occasion I think we did the right thing.

In your opinion it should have been a foul but the foul wasn't awarded. Norris was down holding his head and the ref stopped the game for that reason. Norris then got up and got no treatment or anything.

Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree as I personally thought it was poor from us to take advantage.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:33:52 »

In your opinion it should have been a foul but the foul wasn't awarded. Norris was down holding his head and the ref stopped the game for that reason. Norris then got up and got no treatment or anything.

Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree as I personally thought it was poor from us to take advantage.
The ref was inept so whether it's a foul doesn't come into it for me, and in any case the ref could have done a proper drop ball if he wanted. Let's not forget they tried to get one of our players sent off at a corner earlier in the game when one of their players threw himself to the floor, at that point all sportmanship goes out of the window.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #109 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:50:10 »

Just watched the highlights on iFollow and a couple of things that I saw....

We still look weak defending corners, Vigs is a great keeper at shotstopping but a bit of a Dracula with crosses.

Brilliant cross for our disallowed goal from Brophy, looked a good goal to me from the replay, I saw no handball or foul or whatever reason it was he didn't give it for.

Woolery took his goal like a seasoned pro, bags of pace good finish, should have had at least one more when clean through, he looks like the sort of player we haven't had in many years, a very fast striker who enjoys 1 on 1's, he could bag a lot of goals with the right service, reminds me a little of Vardy.

The 16 year old Exeter player Jack Sparkes an England U16 international making his league debut had a fantastic shot with Vigs well beaten, could well be one for the future, been scouted by Chelsea last season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 09:57:05 »

Just watched also...
The disallowed goal was pretty mistifying.
Norris and Woolery up front has the makings of an extremely exciting partnership.
Flitcroft reckons a draw was a fair result, Tisdale diappointed they didn't get all 3.
I can kind of see both points of view.
All in all, not a terrible result against a team who will probably be there or thereabouts.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:13:19 »

That pass from Norris for Wooly's goal was a mirror image of the one he played in for Goddard to score at Woking.

There are things about Norris that we're well hidden last year.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:17:07 »

I enjoyed today, it would have been good to get the three points but Exeter were decent. Both teams everytime going forward looked like scoring. I think overall it was a fair result both sides had chances to win it. Concerns for me was the midfield was not in control of the game at all and our defence looked like it still needs time to gel. Also I think there was lots of nerves out there first half. Hussey put some nice balls in but also wasted some and looked like he struggles for pace. Woolery, Norris and Mullin were my players of the game

Sent from my iPhone
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:40:50 »

thought we won the ball back before the ref blew
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:49:05 »

I enjoyed today, it would have been good to get the three points but Exeter were decent. Both teams everytime going forward looked like scoring. I think overall it was a fair result both sides had chances to win it. Concerns for me was the midfield was not in control of the game at all and our defence looked like it still needs time to gel. Also I think there was lots of nerves out there first half. Hussey put some nice balls in but also wasted some and looked like he struggles for pace. Woolery, Norris and Mullin were my players of the game

Sent from my iPhone
Good assessment. We looked short in central midfield as we had 2 wide players who stayed out wide and so when they attacked through the middle we were overloaded. Our game is width and crosses but we were largely ineffective first half as Exeter had more fluidity and movement and their central defenders were decent at defending crosses apart from our "goal" which was wrongly disallowed. Exeter were better than most league 1 teams I saw last year and I would be surprised if they don't get top 3. I like Flitcroft as he changes things when they need to be changed as opposed to LW who didn't. Woolery gives us the pace option and next league game will clearly start with Norris up front. I would sacrifice Brophy for Goddard as he should be a better supply line for Woolery. Also Conroy for Robertson who is somewhat lmited unlike Conroy who is Thompsonesque in his runs in to midfield. Our back 4 is old school division 4 and like most I enjoyed some hoof ball when needed. We should have enough for play offs and if key players - Vigs, Conroy, Woolery Hussey and Mullin stay fit - we may push top 3. Good start.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:50:47 »

The disallowed goal was pretty mistifying.

It's standard football cliche that dodgy decisions even themselves up over a season.... we've probably done it in a week. Got the rub at Carlisle with Mullin's goal and the wrong end Sat with the OG.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:54:35 »

It's standard football cliche that dodgy decisions even themselves up over a season.... we've probably done it in a week. Got the rub at Carlisle with Mullin's goal and the wrong end Sat with the OG.
True enough...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 10:58:32 »

http://www.skysports.com/…/foot…/10985970/swindon-1-1-exeter

The boy Woolery should've had a hattrick. As long as he gets chances (which i'm sure he will), he will score goals for fun here.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 13:31:31 »

Think the stick vigs is getting for the corners is a little unfair. He was surrounded by Exeter players at every set piece, with one usually tasked with pushing mullin into vigs as the ball came in

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 14:37:34 »

Think the stick vigs is getting for the corners is a little unfair. He was surrounded by Exeter players at every set piece, with one usually tasked with pushing mullin into vigs as the ball came in

The issue wasn't the quality of delivery, which was very impressive, or the numbers but the fact he makes a move to come nearly every time but does not look like getting close on most.  That disrupts the defence, it is very similar to the issue David James had.  Vigs is clearly a good keeper and generally has good instincts, just this one area.  Fortunately most teams are shit at corners, so it shouldn't be a big problem.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: