Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 2 Predictions 2017/2018  (Read 15597 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 4, 2017, 16:16:10 »

My 2 pounds predicts Harry Smith as league 2 top scorer.66/1

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, August 4, 2017, 20:13:04 »

Just for fun Reg, I want to see your prediction for Swindon. Cheesy  Don't worry about the rest of the table as only one club really matters.

I'm always certain of a playoff minimum in this league and I'm more confident we can get 3rd.

Hopefully we can start well until the further signings can be made up top
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, August 5, 2017, 10:27:13 »

I predict I won't be able to listen to live commentary anymore!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, August 5, 2017, 11:42:46 »

Just for fun Reg, I want to see your prediction for Swindon. Cheesy  Don't worry about the rest of the table as only one club really matters.

I'm always certain of a playoff minimum in this league and I'm more confident we can get 3rd.

Hopefully we can start well until the further signings can be made up top

As I said... no idea.  Don't know any of our players, apart from the few leftovers and yet to see them play or any training sessions.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, August 5, 2017, 13:05:01 »

fair comment, but I was expecting something like it will be between us and Newport to stay up......can't you be just a teeny little bit negative, Reg? Wink

PS  7th place for me.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 18:51:48 »

If we finish below Accrington, Stevenage, Wycombe and Carlisle (next to no business this summer, shite the back end of last year) then a) we've failed spectacularly and b) I'll eat my hat.

Half a hat?

Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 18:52:50 »

Quote from: Batch
1-8 somebody
9. Swindon
10 - whatever is left : somebody

I think we will fall short due to not having enough goals in us, as things stand. Don't really care about the rest.

turns out, goals against was also a problem. still...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 15:40:54 »

turns out, goals against was also a problem. still...

Goals For wasn't really a problem, we were joint 5th highest scoring team in the division, tied with the lovely Mansfield and Cheltenham on 67. Only bettered by;

Luton Twn 94
Wycombe  79 (they conceded 60 only 5 less than us)
Accy Stan  76
Notts Co    71

Understandably the top three come out on top and then it's 5th placed Notts.

Funny you mention the Goals Against because that theme seemed to be a problem through the division.

The figures show that every team in L2 this season conceded at least 46 or more goals. Meaning a minimum GA = 1.00 per game. I haven't looked at the data for previous seasons but with that mindset you could quite easily extract that if you went into every game believing you needed to score two, to win then you would be more than likely get promoted. This is proven by Luton having just over GF = 2.04 per game. However achieving just over GF = 1.50 per game was probaly enough. Champions Accy only achieving GF = 1.71. We achieved GF = 1.46 but our ratio against was too similar at GA = 1.41. A slight nudge up in GF data (to 1.50) and a nudge down in the GA (to 1.30) and we might have just sneaked those play offs.

I know it's all hindsight but having this data should Town go with an attitude of "score two mentality" or will PB (if here) sure us up and insist on his "clean sheet mentality" for next season?

Interestingly, Wycombe finished 9th last season...finished 3rd this time. It won't take much to get promoted. I would fear Silkmen and potentially Tranmere coming up more than Shakers, Cobblers, Franchise FC, or Pine Villa coming down. Out of the PO lot I back Coventry. The remaining three Exeter are probably the strongest. Anyone that finished below us we have no reason to fear and should be confident of beating next season. One from the Conference always does well and one coming down will do ok too. I'm going to stick my neck out already and put us down for a top 3 finish. A top 7 could look something like this;

1st Town
2nd Tranmere (if promoted May 12th)
3th Notts County
==============
4th Pine Villa
5th Exeter
6th Mansfield
7th Franchise FC
==============
8th Silkmen

Yep, call me deluded, i'm happy with that.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: