Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salisbury v Town  (Read 13806 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:03:46 »

average wage was 40 just a couple of years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

sticking by my 'depends if it was a youngster comment'.

but obviously it depends if they could get more elsewhere.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:09:04 »

DF didn't feel he was worth £800 pw at the time of speaking to him but made it clear he could be earning that by the end of the season if he pulled his finger out.
The player ended up staying where he was because he felt they would offer him a new contract at he money he wanted quicker than he would earn it at Swindon.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:13:03 by Quagmire » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:16:32 »

Could you imagine as a kid being to that you could play football and make 40k+ a year for it, and that kid saying "Fuck that, couldn't give a shit. I'm gonna go and work for Nationwide instead".
Quite. I know it's not the megabucks that some players can command but it's a decent wage for a lad in his 20s. It's not like a lot of these lads are turning down £100k+ jobs in international finance to come and play football.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:19:02 »

anyone who expects something from him this season is delusional quite frankly.

I assume you think he is going to have a fantastic season then?  Hmmm
EldeneRed

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 08:34:57 »

I think Brophy was very good in our games vs Supermarine and Melksham but a very poor showing last night, maybe one of the reasons he was subbed off.

He spent a large amount of the game on the floor, great speed and skill but seemed flimsy today.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 12:38:54 »

People saying £800 doesn't sound like much... take last seasons's wage budget of (rumoured) £1.2 million and divide it by 22 players and it comes out as £1000 a week average wage.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 12:59:08 »

Opinions are opinions. In my eyes £400 pw is low for any player in his 20s who are more than likely be out of a job and having to re-train in another 10+ years. Obviously some people think that's a priveledged situation and vice versa.

Anyway back to the Salisbury game...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 13:29:08 »

Opinions are opinions. In my eyes £400 pw is low for any player in his 20s who are more than likely be out of a job and having to re-train in another 10+ years. Obviously some people think that's a priveledged situation and vice versa.

Anyway back to the Salisbury game...
But that's not even close to what you said originally.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 13:35:47 »

400 p/w isn't far off what a new player to L2 will earn, it doesn't sound a lot but they are unknown. Austin wouldn't have been on much more than that when he signed from Poole originally but with determination and skill, he is now earning in excess of £1m a year. Everyone has to start from the bottom in any job and £400 p/w is an ok wage for a job which can be dramatically improved year on year. It doesn't take a lot to go from £400 p/w to £10,000 p/w.

People like Hussey, Robertson and Mcdermott will be on probably more than double the £400 p/w (putting them on an average 40k) but they have earnt that with their experience, players like Bainbridge haven't as they have come right out of an under 23 team, they have to earn their place.

I am glad DF is doing this as it's teaching these "kids" coming from the premier league teams that they won't be on £5k a week, they have to start from the bottom and work themselves up, very few "kids" from the prem teams make it in the prem league.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 13:45:32 »

But that's not even close to what you said originally.

I stand by my original point. People started saying how it was privileged and i responded saying in monetary terms at that weekly income i don't think it is. I related low pay to low performance in my first post
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 13:55:01 »

400 p/w isn't far off what a new player to L2 will earn, it doesn't sound a lot but they are unknown. Austin wouldn't have been on much more than that when he signed from Poole originally but with determination and skill, he is now earning in excess of £1m a year. Everyone has to start from the bottom in any job and £400 p/w is an ok wage for a job which can be dramatically improved year on year. It doesn't take a lot to go from £400 p/w to £10,000 p/w.

People like Hussey, Robertson and Mcdermott will be on probably more than double the £400 p/w (putting them on an average 40k) but they have earnt that with their experience, players like Bainbridge haven't as they have come right out of an under 23 team, they have to earn their place.

I am glad DF is doing this as it's teaching these "kids" coming from the premier league teams that they won't be on £5k a week, they have to start from the bottom and work themselves up, very few "kids" from the prem teams make it in the prem league.

Im quite sure it does. You could be a league 2 ability player and no matter how much determination and hard work you put in go nowhere at all.

This was also a comment about Zavon Hines, a 28 yr old. who wanted to earn more regardless of performance related pay. If he got injured a doubt the extra money would be paid and i think he's entitled to look elsewhere if he feels he can get it.

and I also agree 100% with this.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 14:12:00 »

If I'd interviewed for a job and was offered half my current salary, I'd not be accepting or pursuing that 'opportunity' any further, in fact I'd find it rather insulting.
I'd also question whether that potential employer was ever serious about wanting to employ me, or if for whatever reason they felt they could chance their luck and grab someone on the cheap.

I know the professional sports labour market doesn't reflect any other, but everything is relative. I bet a lot of TEF members wouldn't drop their job for the £400 p/w privilege of playing for a league 2 club. Others would be more than happy.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 14:28:09 »

If I'd interviewed for a job and was offered half my current salary, I'd not be accepting or pursuing that 'opportunity' any further, in fact I'd find it rather insulting.
I'd also question whether that potential employer was ever serious about wanting to employ me, or if for whatever reason they felt they could chance their luck and grab someone on the cheap.

I know the professional sports labour market doesn't reflect any other, but everything is relative. I bet a lot of TEF members wouldn't drop their job for the £400 p/w privilege of playing for a league 2 club. Others would be more than happy.

I have been there, got offered a job a few years ago for "a good opportunity", it was less than half what I was earning at the time so I politely declined their offer BUT if it was for a company I would want to work for, I would consider it as money isn't the be all, I would work for less if I was happier.

In this case, if it was a player being offered less than their current wage then fair play for declining but it sounds like they are on less than the wage at the moment but feel like their current club will offer them a new contract with the wages they want, where as Swindon want to see they perform before they offer them what they want. It comes down to if you feel like you have more opportunity to grow with that company e.g.

Company A offer you £2000 p/m but you can't get promoted to a new job
Company B offer you £1500 p/m but you have potential to get promoted to different levels within the business.

Do you take the £2k and then look for another job in 2 years when you want to earn more or do you take offer B, take a lower wage initially but progress to a more senior level in that business.

If you play for Accrington, you are unlikely to see a promotion with them but you are with someone like Swindon or Coventry, with promotion you can build in wage rises and it also puts you on the radar of other clubs who will offer you more money to join them.
Flashheart

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 14:32:58 »

It's not so much about whether or not somebody should accept the salary, but rather their attitude once it has been accepted. If somebody doesn't give a shit because they think they are not being paid enough then they should not have accepted the job in the first place. It's the comment about them not giving a shit that started all this.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 14:49:36 »

It's not so much about whether or not somebody should accept the salary, but rather their attitude once it has been accepted. If somebody doesn't give a shit because they think they are not being paid enough then they should not have accepted the job in the first place. It's the comment about them not giving a shit that started all this.

Unfortunately money is an incentive in most peoples careers not that hard to understand. Fans always bring up the money side of things when they aren't perceived to be putting a shift. Wayne Rooney- waste of space £300k a week, £400 a week and he doesn't look too bad.

I don't think what I put is as outrageous as a lot of you are making out. As swindon fans we all want the players to be working for our team as hard as they can push. The reality is they aren't fans of swindon and without a money carrot in front of them they may not work as hard as wrong as it is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: