Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salisbury v Town  (Read 13807 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 21:54:33 »

I know for a fact Flitcroft won't pay silly money for a player he feels doesn't deserve it, for example.... a player was offered to DF a couple of weeks ago who he was keen on, and wanted £800 a week (yes, £800) DF told him he can have £400 and if we plays a certain amount of games, he will up it to £600, the player said no so DF told him to do one.
He is trying to drum into his signing's playing for Swindon is a big deal and he doesn't want anyone here chasing money whether it's £100 a week or £1000. Something I think most fans will love to hear.

Whilst as a swindon fan its a big deal but if those are the wages on the table I can see why some players don't give a shit when they are playing.
Flashheart

« Reply #31 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 21:58:22 »

Don't give a shit for 40K+?

Granted, better players could get more (A lot more), but if they're being touted to a L2 team then they probably ain't all that. I'm sure we're paying a fuck-ton more than most others in this division as well.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:04:13 »

Smith H could hardly miss his header, but at least he offered some sort of threat. Which pretty much entirely disappeared when Norris lumbered on. Those thinking he may come good in League 2 are in for a disappointment I fear on this display. Much rather have Salisbury's number 9 than ours on that evidence. Shame about Hines as definitely missed his creativity. Thank goodness for decent display by Will Henry in goal. Bit worrying that Vigs only player present who didn't get any game time. Not risking injury before the big move?

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Flashheart

« Reply #33 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:04:18 »

Could you imagine as a kid being to that you could play football and make 40k+ a year for it, and that kid saying "Fuck that, couldn't give a shit. I'm gonna go and work for Nationwide instead".
mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:08:43 »

My take on tonight FWIW, first friendly I've made.

Thought Linganze controlled the first half. Robertson and Conroy were building an uncompromising cb pairing. McDermott looks bang up for it and will cause problems. Held onto the ball a little too long though. Smith from Millwall is a big lad. Will get goals if the crosses are decent. Purkiss was steady enough. Did a foul throw though. Will Henry had a decent game with a little too umuch to do. Mullin was steady willing running into the corners chased everything. Norris looked strong and was the target man second half. Did ok. But still doesnt look like threatening the net.

We played a fair bit more out from the back than I would have expected. But was nice to have the option of Smith or Mullin first and Norris second.

Was great to see and hear a LOT of shouting from the DF and PF in the dugout and a fair few bollockings dished out. Also the boys on the pitch seemed to be more vocal especially the more experienced new lads.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:09:27 »

Quote from: nigel grays a postie
disappeared when Norris lumbered on. Those thinking he may come good in League 2 are in for a disappointment I fear on this display. Much rather have Salisbury's number 9 than ours on that evidence.

felt the same at Melksham to be honest, his touch was awful. mind you so were the conditions.

meh, maybe he's just a very slow starter!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:11:39 »

£800 doesn't sound much to me unless we are talking a young un.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:14:04 »

I thought it was an atrocious showing from Norris, an incredibly limited footballer but then of course we all knew that from last season and anyone who expects something from him this season is delusional quite frankly.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, July 17, 2017, 22:16:44 »

Thank goodness for decent display by Will Henry in goal. Bit worrying that Vigs only player present who didn't get any game time. Not risking injury before the big move?
Vigs played the full game against Oldham so they are just alternating it. No need to worry!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 04:40:02 »

Whilst as a swindon fan its a big deal but if those are the wages on the table I can see why some players don't give a shit when they are playing.
Your job is your job whether you are on £500 a week or £50,000. It allows you to pay your mortgage, pay your bills and to generally live (obviously to varying degrees of comfort and security). There is no excuse for anyone to do their job half-arsed, whatever their line of work.

Similarly, if you have the ability football is one of the very rare jobs where, if you do do your job well it can take you from £500 to £50,000 a week at the drop of a hat. Equally, if you don't have that ability and are stupid enough to not give a shit you can go from £500 a week to £0 equally quickly.

Footballers (or indeed any sportsmen) are privileged to get paid for what they do and any of them who don't appreciate that generally end up getting what they deserve and you would imagine, regret it for the rest of their lives.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 06:05:04 »

My take on last night - Henry showed how good he is, some great reaction saves and did everything well barring one atrocious goal kick. Management seemed pleased. My first impressions of the new management team was good. Plenty of bollocking going on when there were mistakes, which is a good sign compared to last season. DF was quiet for most of the first half and left it to potato man (whose name I have forgotten, but a child in front of me called him that and I quite like it). Tom Smith is very ginger. Twine (who looks about 15) came on, immediately had a chance, missed and got really fucked off, which was good to see.

We played a bit shit overall, Salisbury walked through our defence a few times, we took too long with the ball and lost momentum going forwards a lot, but took a good goal in the first when we didn't look to deserve one. Salisbury scored an excellent free kick and looked impressive.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 07:08:47 »

Don't give a shit for 40K+?

Granted, better players could get more (A lot more), but if they're being touted to a L2 team then they probably ain't all that. I'm sure we're paying a fuck-ton more than most others in this division as well.

I'm not sure on your sums but I was obviously referring to the lower amount stated. £400 per week being £1600 a month before tax.

Of course it's a privileged career if your paid well. But for just the example of the above in a short career it's not the glitz and expectation a lot of fans put on players.
Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 07:36:07 »

If they don't give a shit then they're in the wrong job. I did take the higher figure, but 400/week is still 20k+ which is not bad for somebody that is, presumably, unskilled in other jobs. If they are good enough at football then they'd be able to command a higher wage. If not, then tough shit. If they want to make more in another job then they are free to do so. Nothing's stopping them, except the likely lack of skills to do so. They can go and 'not give a shit' in a warehouse or building site, except they won't be allowed to do that there either.

In the meantime, DF and other managers are right to filter out those that are just in it for the money. We will be among the highest payers in the league. If we're paying 400-600 week then you can be sure the majority of players in this league will be on less then that. Do you think all of those don't give a shit? Or that maybe most have the right attitude and will play to the best of their ability? Do you think that STFC this season will be a team of players that 'don't give a shit'?
Loobug

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 07:51:37 »

Could you imagine as a kid being to that you could play football and make 40k+ a year for it, and that kid saying "Fuck that, couldn't give a shit. I'm gonna go and work for Nationwide instead".
I think attitude counts for a lot in any job. I know that at times I've put in the minimum effort to hold onto a job, rather than bust a gut for a boss I didn't respect, when I know i could get another job on the same money easily enough. Football is a bit different as you can lose it all but we are taking about a footballers here, who can be both arrogant and naive. I'm sure we've had plenty that fell into this category...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 07:52:43 »

I'm not sure on your sums but I was obviously referring to the lower amount stated. £400 per week being £1600 a month before tax.

Of course it's a privileged career if your paid well. But for just the example of the above in a short career it's not the glitz and expectation a lot of fans put on players.
It's a privileged career full stop. Anyone who fails to make the most of it i.e. doesn't give a shit, is stupid. £1600 a month (or far more likely, less than that) for working in a factory 5 days a week or £1600 a month for playing football...it's a no brainer...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: