Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: melksham town  (Read 16077 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 08:43:39 »

Can only imagine number 8 is Jack Dunne.

Thanks. No prisoners, ball or man, that's the impression I got. My prediction for first suspension is September 23rd Smiley

Anyone that went, did Hines play tonight?

Er, as you can see I'm not quite up to speed on whose who! Sorry
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 08:53:58 »

Sounds like it was a good run out, get a few wins under the belt as winning can become a habit.

Look at pre season 2 years ago we got beaten at Supermarine and Solihull and only had one narrow win 3-2 vs Petersfield.

Pre season friendly results don't mean anything but fans love to see new players scoring goals galore against smaller teams and going several games unbeaten, just a bit disappointed we couldn't bag a bigger team for a home friendly this term to test us against a better set up side than non league outfits and show off to the fans. (behind closed doors friendly excepted)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:04:16 »

Sounds like it was a good run out, get a few wins under the belt as winning can become a habit.

Look at pre season 2 years ago we got beaten at Supermarine and Solihull and only had one narrow win 3-2 vs Petersfield.

Pre season friendly results don't mean anything but fans love to see new players scoring goals galore against smaller teams and going several games unbeaten, just a bit disappointed we couldn't bag a bigger team for a home friendly this term to test us against a better set up side than non league outfits and show off to the fans. (behind closed doors friendly excepted)

Lou Macari used to like a good friendly against lower opposition, in order to get a winning feeling. 87/88 I suppose being the zenith

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Friendly=YES&Season=1987-1988

Even a routine win at the Manor, and a pre jinx victory at Whaddon Road in the mix
Peter Venkman

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:17:06 »

Lou Macari used to like a good friendly against lower opposition, in order to get a winning feeling. 87/88 I suppose being the zenith

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Friendly=YES&Season=1987-1988

Even a routine win at the Manor, and a pre jinx victory at Whaddon Road in the mix
I went to every pre season that year as I was emplyed by the club at the time, my car broke down on the way back from Whaddon Road in the middle of Cheltenham.....we had some super results that year and the 2 games we didn't win we played the youth team not the first team.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:24:03 »

I went to every pre season that year as I was emplyed by the club at the time, my car broke down on the way back from Whaddon Road in the middle of Cheltenham.....we had some super results that year and the 2 games we didn't win we played the youth team not the first team.

I was in Cheltenham on Sunday... there are worse places to break down.

There was one Lou season where Duncan Shearer filled his boots pre-season then found it very difficult to score when the season started. He included 4 at FGR... would be good to see Norris or Mullin do the same this season for real
Peter Venkman

« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:42:28 »

I used to love pre season games, all the foreign trialists coming in.

I remember we had Eugene Dadi an Ivory Coast international and Bernard Tchoutang a Cameroon international play along with another African international, but the manager at the time (could have been Todd or Andy King but I am not sure) said he didn't think either were capable of playing on a wet Tuesday at Hartlepool!

Both were good players.

Tchoutang went on to play for Roda JC in the Dutch top division and Dadi had a career with Tranmere and Aberdeen over here.

EDIT: it was Nigerian international Bimbo Fatokun Larne.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:50:39 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:50:13 »

I used to love pre season games, all the foreign trialists coming in.

I remember we had Eugene Dadi an Ivory Coast international and Bernard Tchoutang a Cameroon international play along with another African international, but the manager at the time (could have been Todd or Andy King but I am not sure) said he didn't think either were capable of playing on a wet Tuesday at Hartlepool!

Both were good players.

Tchoutang went on to play for Roda JC in the Dutch top division and Dadi had a career with Tranmere and Aberdeen over here.

McMahon... was gaffer, I remember he rejected someone like Tchoutang, becasue he had no boots. Another one was a Boli, bro of Basil, famed for nutting Psycho.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:52:59 »

McMahon... was gaffer, I remember he rejected someone like Tchoutang, becasue he had no boots. Another one was a Boli, bro of Basil, famed for nutting Psycho.
I remember Roger Boli he was a big lump of a player (not tall) about 4 stone overweight! theres more here about the missed players...

https://thewashbag.com/2014/07/22/trialist-fails-the-good-the-bad-and-thomas-dossevi/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 09:54:30 by Peter Venkman » Logged

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 10:35:09 »

Tchoutang played in the digby testimonial and was immense.

McMahon also turned down Hasan Kachloul as well. Idiot

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 11:47:44 »

And just my luck - the only game I went to was Basingstoke away...got hammered.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 18:23:25 »

There was one Lou season where Duncan Shearer filled his boots pre-season then found it very difficult to score when the season started. He included 4 at FGR...

I remember that game, we went along to see our new signing (he'd just joined for £250k, which was a lot for us then), and we hadn't even seen a picture of him (pre internet days).

So out trots this ginger bloke, with lilly white legs & we thought oh bugger is that him.

He proceeded to score a goal with both feet & a header & our minds were made up that he was going to be a star.

The fact that he didn't score for what seemed like ages, until the Palace keeper threw one of his shots in his own net (well, let in a shot he should have saved anyway).

We then went to Watford on the Saturday after & he scored a screamer (so much so that I bought the match video) and his star status was confirmed Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 18:25:23 »

£250,000 is a lot for Town to pay now...!
Flashheart

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 18:27:24 »

It's a lot for most clubs outside the Championship to pay.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 19:03:15 »

I remember that game, we went along to see our new signing (he'd just joined for £250k, which was a lot for us then), and we hadn't even seen a picture of him (pre internet days).

So out trots this ginger bloke, with lilly white legs & we thought oh bugger is that him.

He proceeded to score a goal with both feet & a header & our minds were made up that he was going to be a star.

The fact that he didn't score for what seemed like ages, until the Palace keeper threw one of his shots in his own net (well, let in a shot he should have saved anyway).

We then went to Watford on the Saturday after & he scored a screamer (so much so that I bought the match video) and his star status was confirmed Smiley

Think I was abroad for the friendly season... caught my first look at Dunc at The Hawthorns... I thought he looked ill, which I assumed was why he was crap. We got stuffed undone by Carlton Palmer  Smiley
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 21:02:49 »

Hi everyone....popped along to Melksham last night
Credit to Melksham...fantastic little set up
Went to just 2 lge matches last season...just lost all interest sadly..
For what it is worth i think Linganzi looked real decent...and the youngsters looked hungry....Brophy could be very decent at lge 2 level
Anyway....hope all you people are keeping well.....look after yourselfs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: