Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flitcroft.  (Read 26674 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 09:09:53 »

And how does that mean he doesn't receive the backing from Power?! How do you know the manager has no money to spend. Come on Reginald. You need to stop being so gloom and doom.

It is possible that Power has had a Damascene conversion..... as ever, it's about opinion, an article of faith if you like... I'm an atheist.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 10:05:37 »

They don't really help their cause, do they?! Are they looking to be banned again?
Please no, the whinging last time from both the Adver and some of our supporters was insufferable.

In regards to the lack of onsite CG gym; I am sure I recall reading that it was converted to either a bar or offices for staff? As the previous office were converted to a players bar...Jed I believe.
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 10:28:11 »

It took a fitness coach for Flitcroft to recognise at least some of what is missing. That's not a slight at Flitcroft in the slightest, rather it's one of these things that will happen with a competent new team in place.

Batch is right, this is a good news story. It's all about getting prepared and making sure they have all the equipment they need. It would have been soooo easy for the adver to approach it from that angle. Good news doesn't sell as well as sensationalist headlines that get people irate, though.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 10:41:17 »

Please no, the whinging last time from both the Adver and some of our supporters was insufferable.

In regards to the lack of onsite CG gym; I am sure I recall reading that it was converted to either a bar or offices for staff? As the previous office were converted to a players bar...Jed I believe.

There used to be a bit of space under the Arkells, up the Bank end, which had some basic gym kit in. Not very impressive but it was something... mainly used by players coming back from injury as you wouldn't get too many in it.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 11:48:19 »

It took a fitness coach for Flitcroft to recognise at least some of what is missing. That's not a slight at Flitcroft in the slightest, rather it's one of these things that will happen with a competent new team in place.

Batch is right, this is a good news story. It's all about getting prepared and making sure they have all the equipment they need. It would have been soooo easy for the adver to approach it from that angle. Good news doesn't sell as well as sensationalist headlines that get people irate, though.

Yep, and I told the adver editor this (he posts on the FB group) that they need to stop with the sensalitionist bs and to stop repeating the same interview 10 times to fill space, that there is a lot of content they can do which will get the fans interested in the paper, they are semi-listening but can't see them stopping with the sensational headlines to sell papers.

We all knew the club didn't have any facilities, they train in Calne / Bassett and the players do their fitness at David Lloyds gym (there cars are there a lot). Realistically, the gyms in Swindon will be far better than what can be done at the CG.

This also comes back to the point of Power investing in Highworth, so the club have a gym and training facilities in one place. Unfortunately it's taking a lot of time to get it sorted but the article (even though aimed wrong) proves that we do need the facility at Highworth for DF (or the next manager) to use and expand on.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 11:56:19 »

Yep, and I told the adver editor this (he posts on the FB group)

The Advertiser Editor posts in the Facebook group, bloody hell that explains a lot!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 11:58:37 »

It certainly does.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 12:20:09 »

Yep, and I told the adver editor this (he posts on the FB group) that they need to stop with the sensalitionist bs and to stop repeating the same interview 10 times to fill space, that there is a lot of content they can do which will get the fans interested in the paper, they are semi-listening but can't see them stopping with the sensational headlines to sell papers.

We all knew the club didn't have any facilities, they train in Calne / Bassett and the players do their fitness at David Lloyds gym (there cars are there a lot). Realistically, the gyms in Swindon will be far better than what can be done at the CG.

This also comes back to the point of Power investing in Highworth, so the club have a gym and training facilities in one place. Unfortunately it's taking a lot of time to get it sorted but the article (even though aimed wrong) proves that we do need the facility at Highworth for DF (or the next manager) to use and expand on.

Gareth if you read the article... it's saying that Flitcroft's main concern is in scouting and recruitment... obviously gym can be easily dealt with by deals with providers, there's plenty about.

We used to have a scout... Ken Ryder? his job not only to prepare reports on players but opposition's player style etc. Ryder went a few years back. Recruitment we know was done by Power... and once the Spurs/Sherwood connection went a right pig's ear was made of it.

Having watched us play over the last couple of seasons, it's been pretty obvious that we haven't been preparing for games in a professional manner.

Flitcroft is right to flag this up... Adver right to print it... I'm not sure that all of our fans fully understand the depth to which we have sunk and the task in getting us out of this mess that Flitcroft faces.

He certainly won't be able to do it without full backing by Power... the like of which we haven't seen for a couple of years.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 12:27:38 »

So you have the ear of the adver now, are you on their payroll yet ?

Do you know what sort of equipment DF is talking about, he may have expected to have the basics in house and for the more intense work needed to go out to the gym, I'm sure he will get what is required though as it sounds like Power is taking a back seat and allowing flitcroft to mould the club to be more professional which would help to attract different calibre of player.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 12:28:07 »

I was picking up on the points of the gym but the scouting is a concern and it proves that Williams didn't have a clue when going up against teams, did we have scouts on board when cooper or Ling were here?

Every day I am liking DF more and more, knows what he wants and needs, and will do what he can to get it, and it seems like Power is willing to give him the funds to do that (anyones guess how long that will last).
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 12:35:03 »

Do you know what sort of equipment DF is talking about, he may have expected to have the basics in house and for the more intense work needed to go out to the gym, I'm sure he will get what is required though as it sounds like Power is taking a back seat and allowing flitcroft to mould the club to be more professional which would help to attract different calibre of player.

I can't see us having a gym at the CG so will rely on the gyms around Swindon for a while yet but can see DF having a massive influence on what goes on at the training ground.

The main problem with our "equipment" is that we have always been renting facilities (Liddington, Bassett and Calne) so it's not a massive surprise that we don't have any facilities of our own, it's probably cheaper to get the players memberships at a gym than build our own at the CG.

Having our own facilities will have a lot of positives for the club including:

- less travel so more training time for players
- better equipment for the club needs
- better facilities for training and fitness
- integrate the youth and seniors better (as they all train separately at the moment)

It's going to take time to wrong the rights of the last 20+ years but least we have someone who knows what is needed and is putting in the legwork to get that done. DF is going to become a fan favourite if he keeps this up.
Panda Paws

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 12:57:39 »

Paul Jewell's kid was our scout until a few months ago.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 13:06:03 »

Paul Jewell's kid was our scout until a few months ago.

I'm not sure how it works now, but back in the day the gaffer, would definitely run the rule over players before signing, and probably watch the opposition himself when able.

I remember Macari ditching his motor with Kevin Morris in it when tey were on some scouting mission... happily no harm done.

Similarly, I once read an article about Albion Rovers, then bottom of the Sweatie pile and considered the worst club in Britain.

The correspondent, had gone to see life in the nether regions, and found Steve McMahon in Coatbridge watching a player, which turned out to be Lee Collins.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 13:33:49 »

Going off Tan's original post, what does Seamus Brady do? According to Power his role is "Sporting Director" and he was brought in to deal with the training facility at Highworth (and probably was involved in securing the use of Bassett / Calne facilities).

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/14110620.Brady_comes_on_board_at_Town_to_be_Power_s__cushion_/

"The Irishman’s role will be to oversee the completion of the training ground at 12 Oaks and act as a middleman from a footballing perspective when Power is out of the country."

“Seamus has joined us as sporting director,” Power told BBC Wiltshire.

“There’s a lot going on at the football club. With the training facility now that’s due for completion there’s numerous meetings with councils and so on for that, so Seamus is going to help oversee that for us.

Was a recommendation of super Tim Sherwood so take from that what you will.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 14:00:21 »

The fact the nearly two years after it was first published that piece still has a dreadful typo in the headline says all one needs to know about the credibility of the Advertiser!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: