Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best sauce for steak  (Read 6273 times)
china red

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:03:08 »

Don't understand the obsession with steak, if I get a mixed grill I swap it for a sausage
DorsetRed

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:04:57 »

I would suggest your in the minority there China red
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:09:23 »

Is it Hawksmoor?

I was hoping Hawksmoor wouldn't disappoint and it didn't.

Nah, its an independent Argentinian place. Only thing is that it appeared on some Gordon Ramsay TV program and its generally busy every night and so we can't just wander over the road whenever we fancy a hunk of steak (the black pudding is lovely also).

I have never been to Hawksmoor, but have heard very good reviews.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:32:51 »

Don't understand the obsession with steak, if I get a mixed grill I swap it for a sausage
Lunacy
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:43:29 »

I couldn't understand the fuss about steak until I had a perfect, properly cooked one (well done should be illegal).
I agree that no sauce is necessary but then I'm not a saucy person generally (ooh)

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:50:38 »

Quote from: china red

what the actual fuck!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 15:58:10 »

what the actual fuck!

but 'steak' on a mixed grill is pretty inferior isn't it?

You hardly get a juicy fillet so I can kind of get where this crazy man is coming from.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
china red

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 16:08:46 »

If I go to a fancy restaurant or a placed renowned for it's steak I'll try one because I'm still hopeful I will find one I like.  I generally just find beef chewy and bland (I've tried blue-well done steak). 

Must just be me
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 16:19:32 »

You must be mentally ill sir
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 16:23:51 »

Blue well done?

*edit. Ah. Blue to well done.

If you're finding it chewy then you're somehow doing it wrong. A properly cooked steak should just melt in the mouth. I didn't used to like steak as I found it tough to eat. It turned out it was because it was my Nan that used to cook and she'd always do it well-done.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 17:13:31 »

Best sauce for steak? Hmmmm, subjective really. As an ex butcher I never go for a sauce. The steak should stand up for itself on the plate and just a hint and I mean hint of English mustard or horseradish sauce.

That said the quality of steak can be hit and miss depending on where you purchase it from as does the cut. Rule of thumb is go to a quality butcher on the understanding that the meat has been aged on the bone and not in a vac pac bag as a boneless primal cut. Vac pac primal cuts are often butchered while the carcass is still warm in the abbotoire thus not losing its most valuable component. Moisture. Moisture = weight = ££££'s. Beef aged on the bone loses 10-20% of its moisture if aged for three to four weeks thus concentrating the flavour, rather like reducing a stock or wine when cooking. Even the aged 21-28 day supermarket steaks start off being aged for only a few days to set and cool then butchered and vacuum packed. Cooking should be quick on hot a hot griddle or on a BBQ. The more you cook a steak the more moisture you lose obviously, however, you're more likely to end up nailing it to you shoes. I did make a wicked brandy and peppercorn sauce a number of years ago under duress from the missus.

Fillet is one of the few muscles in the animal that has little or no mechanical use, next comes the sirloin (Henry V111's favourite cut which he knighted, hence sirloin apparently) followed by rump and ribeye. Had a flat iron steak a few years ago in Florida which comes from the shoulder but you really do need to age that as you'd be chewing that next year. Mine was fine and I can think of only a few butchers in the Swindon area where I'd ask for it.

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 21:40:13 »

Tira de ancho rib eye steak at cau restaurant in bath with chimichurri sauce - simply the best.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, July 5, 2017, 06:12:46 »

next comes the sirloin (Henry V111's favourite cut which he knighted, hence sirloin apparently)

Not true

http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/sirloin.asp

Word origin of 'sirloin'
"surloyn, from Old French surlonge, from sur above + longe, from loigne"
DorsetRed

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, July 5, 2017, 08:02:57 »

For those we really care, I seasoned the steak and cooked with rosemary, garlic and butter as per ginginho instructions. Tasted amazing.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, July 5, 2017, 08:05:10 »

Griddled?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: