Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best sauce for steak  (Read 6274 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 09:52:20 »

Béarnaise. By a distance.
The only acceptable answer other than none at all.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 10:28:19 »

Come the revolution anyone who orders steak medium will be interned, and anyone more well done than that will be shot. I think I've just simultaneously solved bad steak eating and the strain on the NHS through population redistribution.

Steak houses out here often employ people that don't know how to cook steak. It often comes overcooked. I have tried to ask for a rare steak in the hope of at least getting a medium, but this often failed. I find 'just don't burn it' to be far more effective at getting something reasonable, although even this is not reliable. I have had to give up on some places because 'just don't burn it' was simply beyond them. One can't expect too much for 3 quid, granted, but I like my steak edible at least.

There are some places where one can get a really good steak though, of course. Although these cost more, and tend to be more of a faff. They're for an evening out, not just popping out to grab something to eat.

I'd actually be inclined to agree that there should be little to no sauce on a good quality steak, although I am partial to Worcestershire sauce. For the 3 quid stuff though, a pepper sauce does just the job. Kind of like mixing coke with whiskey, it's fine to do with the standard stuff, but unforgivable with the finer blends.
Panda Paws

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 10:28:27 »

Béarnaise. By a distance.

This. Close thread
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 10:38:56 »

I said peppercorn, but wouldn't normally have sauce on a steak.
A steak sandwich with pan fried mushrooms and softened onions is superb.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 11:02:27 »

We are lucky in that we have a very good Steak restaurant literally across the road from us which doesn't get frequented as much as it should (its not the cheapest).

I love Bernaise sauce but also partial to a pepper sauce or just a nob of garlic butter.

al fresco is also nice when the cut of steak is nice and juicy and cooked perfectly (rare/medium rate for me).

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Barry Scott

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 11:31:39 »

Why take a lovely piece of meat and ruin it with a heavily flavoured sauce?

A well cooked and seasoned (Anything over medium/rare isn't worth eating) steak shouldn't require any sauce to enhance it.

Salt, pepper & a nob of butter near the end of cooking but nothing else.
Sometimes I put some garlic cloves and rosemary in the pan.

But smother it in a creamy sauce? Nah, not for me.

This.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 11:50:49 »

Ketchup

Sad to say, i must be on my way
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 11:58:18 »

Ketchup

Have you read the 5th post in?   Popcorn
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 12:36:30 »

Ketchup

This cannot be tolerated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 12:41:09 »

Steak houses out here often employ people that don't know how to cook steak. It often comes overcooked. I have tried to ask for a rare steak in the hope of at least getting a medium, but this often failed. I find 'just don't burn it' to be far more effective at getting something reasonable, although even this is not reliable. I have had to give up on some places because 'just don't burn it' was simply beyond them. One can't expect too much for 3 quid, granted, but I like my steak edible at least.

How do you live under such conditions? Sounds horrific.

There are some places where one can get a really good steak though, of course. Although these cost more, and tend to be more of a faff. They're for an evening out, not just popping out to grab something to eat.

Phew. As you were.

I'd actually be inclined to agree that there should be little to no sauce on a good quality steak, although I am partial to Worcestershire sauce. For the 3 quid stuff though, a pepper sauce does just the job. Kind of like mixing coke with whiskey, it's fine to do with the standard stuff, but unforgivable with the finer blends.

£3, are you sure of which animal its from?

That said, had a horse steak a few months ago. Its like a very lean normal steak, which to me kind of takes the enjoyment out of it. I need a bit of fat on/in my steak if at all possible.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 13:28:17 »

If it's a really good cut then no sauce is needed. Otherwise it's peppercorn.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 13:59:28 »

It's own blood. Rare FTW

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 14:18:41 »

Peppercorn or A1 - That is all.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 14:25:02 »

We are lucky in that we have a very good Steak restaurant literally across the road from us which doesn't get frequented as much as it should (its not the cheapest).

I love Bernaise sauce but also partial to a pepper sauce or just a nob of garlic butter.

al fresco is also nice when the cut of steak is nice and juicy and cooked perfectly (rare/medium rate for me).
Is it Hawksmoor?

I was hoping Hawksmoor wouldn't disappoint and it didn't.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2017, 14:45:13 »

Stilton for me, rocquefort was bloody nice too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: