Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mobile broadband  (Read 5930 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:19:15 »

Moving home and looking to ditch Sky and stream all my TV content. New place has very slow broadband - 7.9mb - so looking at mobile.

Any idea what sort of data usage I would need if I streamed everything.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:27:11 »

One hour of netflix is probably what 500mb

Two hours a day * 30 days = 30gb

+ other usage.

Lots.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:32:23 »

Have a  look into 4g home broadband. Same technologu as a mobile but you get a dish/aerial on your house.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 10:06:31 »

use https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

it will tell you what broadband options you have available in your area, e.g. if you can get Fibre, it will be much cheaper and easier than a mobile broadband. MB should only be a last resort imho.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 10:19:45 »

Looks like the only options available in Watchfield are Sky, BT or TalkTalk.

Home broadband looks good but struggling to find an economic unlimited data usage deal.

Could be stuck with Sky  Sad
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 10:23:30 »

Watchfield, as in Watchfield next to Shrivenham?

Unusual, as they have had their exchanges upgrade to fibre recently.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 10:29:07 »

That's the one. I entered the postcode to see what's available and only got those 3 options
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 10:56:46 »

That's the one. I entered the postcode to see what's available and only got those 3 options

According to my search of Sn6 8tQ which is in watchfield, you have access to BT FTTC which is fibre broadband which will give you a minimum of 30mb internet depending on the package you get.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 11:35:05 »

According to my search of Sn6 8tQ which is in watchfield, you have access to BT FTTC which is fibre broadband which will give you a minimum of 30mb internet depending on the package you get.
Ha ha ha ha. So they claim. We had BT FTTC, got 12-14 on a good day, was usually below 10, frequently below 5. Fucking useless.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:19:57 »

Ha ha ha ha. So they claim. We had BT FTTC, got 12-14 on a good day, was usually below 10, frequently below 5. Fucking useless.

I have had FTTC since it came out and never had any issues, 30+ every day without fail but guess depends on how far you are from the exchange. I run on wifi on the 30+ package and get 25mb, if I plug into the router then get the 30
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:25:35 »

The Mrs has non-fibre Talk Talk broadband and it's abysmal. Thankfully I've finally managed to persuade her to get Virgin broadband after year of whinging.

But back to my original point, if Talk Talk's non-fibre option is anything to go by, I'd avoid them like the plague.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:30:35 »

I have had FTTC since it came out and never had any issues, 30+ every day without fail but guess depends on how far you are from the exchange. I run on wifi on the 30+ package and get 25mb, if I plug into the router then get the 30
Lovely. Everyone likes a smug twat Smiley

(and yes it does depend on how far you are from the exchange - so definitely check that, if your cab is more than a mile or so from the exchange, don't touch BT FTTC with a bargepole. And definitely don't rely on their "You should get x speed" quotes, I think they just stick a pin in a speed chart to come up with those)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:31:14 »

The Mrs has non-fibre Talk Talk broadband and it's abysmal. Thankfully I've finally managed to persuade her to get Virgin broadband after year of whinging.

But back to my original point, if Talk Talk's non-fibre option is anything to go by, I'd avoid them like the plague.

I have non fibre Talk Talk and can confirm it is absolute garbage.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:33:14 »

We are on BT fibre and even out in the countryside we never see less than 70mb speeds, I have had nothing but good service from BT, seems I could be almost alone in this though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 12:45:11 »

Same here, get to the top speed with no issues ever on FTTC, we run a lot of devices (phones, pc's, laptops) and never get any slowdown or issues. I just checked I am getting 37mb on wifi on the 76mb package and that will be down to my pc not having the fastest wifi card.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: