Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Car Leasing  (Read 7424 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 09:59:33 »

I had a browse round Car Shop recently, as I think my old shed is probably on it's last legs so wanted to at least be prepared for when it does go (although I've been predicting it's imminent demise for the past 5 years and it's still going). Became very apparent fairly quickly that they are actually a business that sells finance, not cars. The cars are just bait for the finance packages.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:01:17 »

I really like the look of the Sportage. Plus, do KIA still do their 7 year warranty?
I quite fancy the Sportage too, anyone know how it drives?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:33:01 »

We are also looking at another motor and as I am a fuckwit on such matters what are the pro's and cons of leasing? I suppose the key is that under leasing you don't have an asset at the end of the process but alternatively for a known figure each month motoring is covered?

Can someone point me at a fuckwits guide as to whether lease or buy, if we buy its likely to be second hand ans probably funded 50% cash and 50% loan (probably try and get via interest free credit card if possible?)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:40:47 »

I had a browse round Car Shop recently, as I think my old shed is probably on it's last legs so wanted to at least be prepared for when it does go (although I've been predicting it's imminent demise for the past 5 years and it's still going). Became very apparent fairly quickly that they are actually a business that sells finance, not cars. The cars are just bait for the finance packages.

I went in a few years back with my old man and it was horrific. Don't go in there if you think you will be able to walk around at your leisure looking at cars, you wont. And if you do end up buying a car, make sure you set aside half a day to fill out all the paper work.
My old man did eventually buy a car from there but paid cash upfront so wasn't much hassle and the car has done pretty well. i've been driving it since his passing and no issues.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:41:53 »

I quite fancy the Sportage too, anyone know how it drives?
Depends on what you compare it to, I was going to get one but hated how it drove, similar with the Qashqai, they felt like a tank to me but you may enjoy it if you are going from a Skoda or Fiesta and don't mind the extra size for parking and driving round town, the Kadjar isn't too bad but still a bit wallowy on bend when pushed and is underpowered.

I liked driving the Peugeot 3008 which is a similar size but drives much more like a Focus or Astra.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:45:30 »

Depends on what you compare it to, I was going to get one but hated how it drove, similar with the Qashqai, they felt like a tank to me
Interesting as the Qashqai is another I'd looked at, purely because I quite like the "bit-bigger-than-a-hatchback-but-not-quite-a-full-SUV" form factor. Assume Sportage is similar in terms of size then? (Yes, I know I could look up the physical dimensions but it's more how it feels on the road I was wondering about)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:48:27 »

I bought my car from there but didn't set foot in there without having the money sorted from elsewhere first. I knew what I wanted and was initially quite insistent and the entire process was straightforward and pleasant. I'd recommend them if you have a fixed idea.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 11:07:27 »

I went in to the Ford showroom just for a look around, fancying a Kuga, and asked if I paid cash if there would be a discount. Got laughed at. They all want to hook you on to a credit deal - more commission for them, I reckon.

And there's me still thinking cash is king.

I'm house hunting at the moment as a cash buyer - hope that will help with any offer I may put in.

If you want a new car put the make and model you want into 'carwow' then fill your boots. Cash still is king and I saved a shedload on my Mrs i10
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 11:08:38 »

Interesting as the Qashqai is another I'd looked at, purely because I quite like the "bit-bigger-than-a-hatchback-but-not-quite-a-full-SUV" form factor. Assume Sportage is similar in terms of size then? (Yes, I know I could look up the physical dimensions but it's more how it feels on the road I was wondering about)
Sportage feels slightly bigger inside than the Qashqai but neither are that big because they are basically pumped up hatchbacks really and the Sprtage has a lot better quality feel of seats and controls than the Nissan IMO.

You wouldn't get either if you wanted bags of interior space.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 11:19:57 »

We are also looking at another motor and as I am a fuckwit on such matters what are the pro's and cons of leasing? I suppose the key is that under leasing you don't have an asset at the end of the process but alternatively for a known figure each month motoring is covered?

Can someone point me at a fuckwits guide as to whether lease or buy, if we buy its likely to be second hand ans probably funded 50% cash and 50% loan (probably try and get via interest free credit card if possible?)

I went leasing to get my car

Pros: easy to budget, new car, under warranty, no MOT and less likely to breakdown

Cons: mileage limits, up front deposit and left with nothing after the term ends

If you can cope with spending a grand or so every two to three years on a deposit and don't need excessive mileage I would recommend leasing every time

Things get better but they never get good
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:06:08 »

I lease through my employer.

Currently have a Fiesta ST Line at £232/month

No deposit
Insurance included
Tax included
Servicing included
No MOT worries
Replacement tyres free
1,000 miles/month

It's a no brainer for me
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 15:06:11 »

I lease through my employer.

Currently have a Fiesta ST Line at £232/month

No deposit
Insurance included
Tax included
Servicing included
No MOT worries
Replacement tyres free
1,000 miles/month

It's a no brainer for me
That's a cracking deal. I miss my focus ST.

Who do you work for?
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 17:14:14 »

DHL

It's not an ST but the ST Line, which is the 1.0 litre 140bhp Ecoboost engine.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 05:36:34 »

Sportage feels slightly bigger inside than the Qashqai but neither are that big because they are basically pumped up hatchbacks really and the Sprtage has a lot better quality feel of seats and controls than the Nissan IMO.

You wouldn't get either if you wanted bags of interior space.
We have looked at both cars as a replacement for ours when the time comes, probably the size of the boot may swing it for us - it seems the new Qashquai has a smaller boot than its predecessors.  Be interested to hear anybody's views on the merits or otherwise of the two cars.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 06:01:47 »

https://www.contractcars.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: