Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mark Cooper back at the County Ground next season. .........  (Read 16146 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:40:08 »

FGR are kind of ingrained into the local area, from kids football all the way up.
Will be interesting to see what happens with the kids' football. Up to U11 they compete in N Wilts League, from U12 up they rebrand their kids team as an "Academy" and play in JPL. Not sure what JPL rules are on FL clubs entering their academies in the league, but I'm fairly sure N Wilts don't permit it. For understandable reasons. But while their kids' teams are generally of a pretty high standard at grassroots level, they're not going to be able to compete against proper Academy teams
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:48:32 »

FGR have become the closest FL club to Swindon ever.

The Stroud/Stonehouse/Ciren and also Tetbury, have always been solid STFC country, not only players and staff, remember we lost 3 last summer, but fans.  Maybe it'll help Power up his game.

Cooper on Vince in today's Guardian "he's not conventional but he's good to work for. He gave me the opportunity to have full control, of the football side"
Good Point, Had'nt thought of that one Reg, I know there are a fair few 'nuetral' football fans who also travel from this area on a regular basis, I'm not saying its going to make a vast difference to our gates, however, every bum on seat matters and I'm sure there will be a few who take an interest in FGR due to the locality of the ground to the 'Gloucestershire' nomads. 
If we play football again as we did last season (Hopefully Not) and they play as they did yesterday, if I was a nuetral I know where I would be going !!.
C'mon Power, We've got to sort ourselves out this season - more competition than ever !!!!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:55:41 »

Quote from: pauld
FGR are kind of ingrained into the local area, from kids football all the way up.
Will be interesting to see what happens with the kids' football. Up to U11 they compete in N Wilts League, from U12 up they rebrand their kids team as an "Academy" and play in JPL. Not sure what JPL rules are on FL clubs entering their academies in the league, but I'm fairly sure N Wilts don't permit it. For understandable reasons. But while their kids' teams are generally of a pretty high standard at grassroots level, they're not going to be able to compete against proper Academy teams

you know I hadn't really considered the implications in that respect.

interesting
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:14:32 »

They'll probably just rename/spin out the younger age groups as "Cirencester Rovers" or something (they play at the Royal Ag or "Hogwarts" as we like to call it!) and then have them as feeders into their "proper" Academy, starting at U16 I think? Tails would know, his mate used to play for them IIRC
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:19:01 »

Always taken a passing interest in FGR having originally been a Stroud boy.

Always believed in supporting your local team - Town was my local team. That was tested when Cheltenham came into the league and I lived and worked there for a bit. But you don't change, do you.

Interesting which team I would take more of an interest in if STFC were to disappear - Prob FGR.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:22:57 »

Yeah he did, it was out of Swindon College and they were coached by Paul Hunt so essentially it was a college team just branded as an FGR youth team. They used to play against mainly other non-league teams youth setups.. Eastleigh, Cirencester, Weymouth etc.. Not sure how it works now.

As for FGR, I'm not too sure he'll get his stadium / business park so it will be interesting to see how long he sticks around. Either way, there's no way Nailsworth (or the middle of nowhere where Vince wants them to be) can sustain a FL team without a backer making serious losses. They'll enjoy the ride but I feel it will all end in tears. (see.. Rushden and Diamonds)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:37:07 »

As for FGR, I'm not too sure he'll get his stadium / business park so it will be interesting to see how long he sticks around. Either way, there's no way Nailsworth (or the middle of nowhere where Vince wants them to be) can sustain a FL team without a backer making serious losses. They'll enjoy the ride but I feel it will all end in tears. (see.. Rushden and Diamonds)
This
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:44:02 »

This

Max Griggs, built a wonderful little club at R and D.... they suffered when Power came in.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:54:40 »

Max Griggs, built a wonderful little club at R and D.... they suffered when Power came in.
Come on Reg you know full well they basically went into financial meltdown the moment Griggs turned the money off as they were reliant on a benefactor. They were also based a fair distance from their historical roots so many similarities to FGR if Vince gets his way.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:00:22 »

Funnily enough, I saw FGR (then Stroud FC) at R&D precursor Rushden Town in the very early nineties… always wondered what those fans (and Irthlingborough's) made of Rushden & Diamonds. Never bothered to find out, mind.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:04:43 »

Come on Reg you know full well they basically went into financial meltdown the moment Griggs turned the money off as they were reliant on a benefactor. They were also based a fair distance from their historical roots so many similarities to FGR if Vince gets his way.

The new ground is a concern. Sure, it might give Vince the opportunity to grow the club, but it also appears to take away the club's ability to scale back down should Vince leave that their current home in Nailsworth affords them. Nothing lasts forever, and FGR will need a get-out plan. If they have one, they can just enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:28:45 »

They suffered because they no longer had his money.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:45:46 »

But where did the money go?
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:57:26 »

There isn't much information on Power's tenure at R&D apart from he was there for a year, he was only a director (and not the owner). He was reportedly (depends which news source you read) was just Director of Football (the same role he had at Cambridge and here (before he "bought out" Jed) ).

Based on that, I can't see the link with Power that the club went into admin considering he left in 2009 and they didn't enter admin till 20011 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14012770 where they reportedly had 2 owners after Power and the other directors walked away. There may be well much more that went on that isn't in the press?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 11:51:32 »

Wouldn't surprise me to see Cooper sign Branco for next season
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: