Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Has Power learnt a big lesson?  (Read 25786 times)
garethgillman

Ignore
« on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 14:30:09 »

When Power took over he came in and tried to control everything as he knew he had to get the club back on an even footing (if you believe that we were £4-5m a year overspend).

He recruited managers that would play under his rules which were to use the loan market primarily and to try to play the way that would get premier league teams to loan their players (Tottenham, Liverpool & Chelsea mainly so far).

Unfortunately it seems he realised he made a massive mistake in trying to do everything and the first sign of that to me was bringing in Sherwood who (supposedly) took control of all player recruitment and worked with the manager / coach on implementing different tactics for the team.

The other sign to me was Waterford, they brought in a new manager, DOF and then replaced the majority of their team and they seem to be flying high (although in a poor league). They have a mixture of old a new (got a couple in their late 30's)

Come the end of the season, he has sacked the manager / coach and 2 of the other backroom staff, and gone on record saying that the new manager will have full control over transfers, that leads to my question.

Has Power learnt a very big lesson in running a football club? Has he thrown in the towel on his vision and realised that he got it wrong?
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 14:43:29 »

More likely is that relegation has hit him hard in the pocket. I think he knows he's gonna have to get us back up at the first attempt otherwise his personal cash flow will dry up.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 14:46:47 »

More likely is that relegation has hit him hard in the pocket. I think he knows he's gonna have to get us back up at the first attempt otherwise his personal cash flow will dry up.

Money will be a big factor yes, he said after the Scunthorpe game that relegation would hit the club for about £1m but likely more
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 14:51:10 »

So yes I think he's realised his setup didn't work and it certainly won't work in L2. Hopefully new manager can be his own man without interference from Power and TT.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 14:55:20 »

Money will be a big factor yes, he said after the Scunthorpe game that relegation would hit the club for about £1m but likely more
It will cost the club an initial £1m I am sure but if he gets in the right manager who can bring in the right players then crowds will go up I am certain, to possibly higher levels than this season which averaged 6,783 whereas under the Paolo the average in L2 was 8,400 not to mention the extra revenue that a better manager may bring in with extra sales in merchandise etc. obviously IF the right man is appointed.

So in answer to your question....no I don't think Power has learnt a lesson in running a football club its just that the club (and ultimately him) have been hit hard in the wallet so hes going all out to get us back at the first attempt while not overspending as we did last time round, but I am sure we will have a very healthy top 3 L2 budget this coming season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:03:09 »

The prospect of falling to the conference does stance things to owners. They tend to not want that.

I don't think Power has anything to learn. He knew and continues to know what his strategy is, and the risk/reward associated.

He also hasn't done anything yet to address the issues, the noises are encouraging, but the proof is in the pudding.

Up to now his player recruitment MO had been to say the right thing and get linked to stupid bids for out of reach players, then fail to deliver on either.

will he do the same with the manager, lets see..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:10:58 »

I think the lesson he will have learned, is that because of the money loss, further austerity will need to be imposed on the club.

Staffing positions cut won't necessarily be replaced and we'll see more things like as now the club shop being closed.

Other savings will be attempted by dispensing with overnight stops for away games, players washing their own kit etc.

The new man/woman, might have control over recruitment, but the budget will dictate signings will be last minute to save on wages and can only be non league and kids from the Prem reject trials, + the maximum amount of loans.

So any changes will be cosmetic at best and the backdrop going into the season will be trying to ensure FL status
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:19:18 »

Utter drivel, Reg.

The club shop has closed at the end of every season I can remember going back at least a decade, that is the norm.

The pursuit of Steve Evans suggests a welcome change in approach from Power and is a clear indication we are looking for an immediate return to League 1.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:23:36 »

Utter drivel, Reg.

The club shop has closed at the end of every season I can remember going back at least a decade, that is the norm.

The pursuit of Steve Evans suggests a welcome change in approach from Power and is a clear indication we are looking for an immediate return to League 1.

Not Worthy

If Chang decrees, it must come to pass.
woolster

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:26:55 »

The new man/woman, might have control over recruitment, 

So any changes will be cosmetic at best and the backdrop going into the season will be trying to ensure FL status
I see the PC brigade have another recruit Roll Eyes
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:31:03 »

I think the lesson he will have learned, is that because of the money loss, further austerity will need to be imposed on the club.

Staffing positions cut won't necessarily be replaced and we'll see more things like as now the club shop being closed.

Other savings will be attempted by dispensing with overnight stops for away games, players washing their own kit etc.

The new man/woman, might have control over recruitment, but the budget will dictate signings will be last minute to save on wages and can only be non league and kids from the Prem reject trials, + the maximum amount of loans.

Total bs reg, the club shop is closed for a few weeks to restock for the new shirts / merchandise for the new season and why have a shop open when the season is finished, it's wasting money then. As chang said, it's been going on for many years.

Are you on the FB group as you would fit right in with Christian and his cronies  Roll Eyes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 15:56:42 »

Total bs reg, the club shop is closed for a few weeks to restock for the new shirts / merchandise for the new season and why have a shop open when the season is finished, it's wasting money then. As chang said, it's been going on for many years.

Are you on the FB group as you would fit right in with Christian and his cronies  Roll Eyes

It is however a money saving exercise as stated. If you wish to think Power has had a Damascene conversion, it is of course your perogative.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 16:14:05 »

The big lesson Power needs to learn is to tell that shitbag bottling cunt Sherwood to fuck off. I hear he chose the team at Charlton so is / was still fucking involved. The sooner he gets a full time job and can fuck off the better. If that cunt is hanging around like a piece of shit you can't shake off your shoe the new manager is fucked regardless of who he is. 
The appointment of the new manager is massive. If its JFH then pit would give me optimism. If its someone like Drummey then its business as usual.
Im struggling to see Power being hands off.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 16:17:57 »

No he hasn't learnt a lesson. He will think he knows better than anyone else. That much has always been crystal clear. Until he accepts that he doesn't then fuck all will change.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 18:45:36 »

Utter drivel, Reg.

I don't like it when Chang is right  Sad

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: