Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Has Power learnt a big lesson?  (Read 25785 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:27:30 »

How many times  has he said i will be recruiting early, and it usually ends up 2 weeks before the season starts.

On this point... I think there's a difference between a lie, and not delivering on a promise. In fairness to Power, we signed Goddard right after the season ended. I can't really call him a liar for not getting business done early, I don't believe for a second he was sat around going "mwa hahaha I will sign no one until August" I just think we were probably beaten by other clubs to a lot of the players he wanted. That's not lying.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:44:02 »

On this point... I think there's a difference between a lie, and not delivering on a promise. In fairness to Power, we signed Goddard right after the season ended. I can't really call him a liar for not getting business done early, I don't believe for a second he was sat around going "mwa hahaha I will sign no one until August" I just think we were probably beaten by other clubs to a lot of the players he wanted. That's not lying.

This, this and this

Unfortunately there is a few people who believe Power didn't sign anyone just to save 1 month of player wages  Roll Eyes

Buying a player is like buying a house, you put an offer in then wait while the owner makes their decision, you then might have to raise your offer and then get all the surveys and mortgage sorted before you can move in. In an ideal world you can move in within weeks but you could be waiting 2 months. We were supposedly in for the Peterborough player but had an offer rejected, he then went to Northampton.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:03:47 »

Buying a player is like buying a house,

No Gareth. Buying a club is like buying a house.  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:05:15 »

Buying a player is like buying a house,
You're Bob Holt's unacknowledged bastard offspring, aren't you? Suddenly it all makes sense
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:46:46 »

You're Bob Holt's unacknowledged bastard offspring, aren't you? Suddenly it all makes sense

Corrected for you?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:55:29 »

Corrected for you?
tbf, he's a bit younger and more coherent
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 12:31:18 »

tbf, he's a bit younger and more coherent

What Bob Holt?  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 10:58:54 »

Archibald been interviewed and I know its not going to be him as manager from a good source I don't know the reason but I would imagine others have been interviewed as well and wouldn't be surprised if this week or next week and announcement is made.

Quoted just in case he's Chang'd it..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 11:03:19 »

But he just rambles on about shit and uses dodgy analogies all the time.

So does Holt to be fair.

Smiley
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 13:54:29 »

"Obviously I've been involved (in playing and recruitment affairs) since my tenure at the football club because I had to be,'' he added.

"Losing £500,000 a month, I needed to bring in players that we could sell. I did that successfully for a couple of years.

"We sold millions and millions of pounds of players to get the debt (the club) was in on a monthly basis down and under control but obviously (in) the last season, that's very evident that we didn't do it properly.

"We ran out of magic in the wand and found ourselves in the position we are at the moment.

"Next season, we need to go down a more traditional route and that's what we're going to try and do.

"We needed to try and find the nuggets to keep this club's head above water. It's a different remit this year, (it's) about getting the club back into League One whatever way we need to do it.''

From http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15299221.Sherwood_poised_to_end_Town_tenure/ & his call into BBC Wilts yesterday.

I am really hoping that the final part is true and now we are over the debt free hurdle, the club will be ran more traditionally (still on a budget) but with less focus on selling players. I can see why he did it, no body wants to own a business losing half a million a month but the way he chose only worked for a short term and relies on quite a lot of luck.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 14:23:07 »

Like almost every other club we'll still need to sell players on a consistent basis. As regards club debt I doubt we are debt free - we'll owe Power personally instead of outside debtors.

I think Power cocked-up big time thinking we could 'limp over the line' to avoid relegation. If he really is loosening the purse strings I'm sure he thought it would be to attempt to go up from L1 not to regain L1 status from L2.

Strangely, I'm quite looking forward to next season
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 15:04:35 »

Strangely, I'm quite looking forward to next season

Certainly it is the first season where we go into with our FL status under question. Wouldn't say the prospect particularly thrills me though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 15:08:27 »

it's certainly one of the more interesting close seasons. what happens next....

we'll talk about excited or otherwise one we have a manager and some players
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 15:10:02 »

it's certainly one of the more interesting close seasons. what happens next....

we'll talk about excited or otherwise one we have a manager and some players
One thing at a time Batch....be patient...manager first Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 15:11:24 »

we'll owe Power personally instead of outside debtors.

We are supposedly debt free to him apart from funds he put into the club in December, we became debt free to him in July last year (again supposedly).

I would guess that he won't let us get into massive debt (to him personally) so the budgets will reflect the division we are in but sounds like next season that philosophy has gone out of the window just so we get promoted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: