Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stratford-upon-Avon  (Read 4381 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 12:42:39 »

Will be going away with the other half for a couple of nights and staying in Worcestershire. As the Mrs likes shakespeare and shit so I thought we'd spend a day in Stratford-upon-Avon.

So my question for those that have been is what's really worth seeing and doing feasibly within a day? The theatre is already ruled out because it's playing Julius Caesar and neither of us are too keen on that.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 12:46:39 »

Im not far from there, only 30 mins,  sod stratford and get pissed at my house instead

Where in worcestershire are you staying?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 12:50:35 »

He's bard.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 12:55:07 »

We tried to go for a day once, got there very late, went to this really weird Museum of Magic thing on the High Street which was basically just some random bloke who had a few Harry Potter props in his house and Shakespeare's house had closed by the time we got there.

So probably not much use to you I'm afraid. Pretty little place though.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 13:00:41 »

Check out the sauce.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 13:11:58 »

There's an open top hop on-hop off bus thing that stops at Anne Hathaway's house (extra cost to enter).

River Ride.

You can still poke your head in to the theatre, and there is a viewing tower and possibly tours.

And, er...um..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 13:34:30 »

Check out the sauce.
Stratford Upon Avon Sauce?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 14:40:54 »

I've cycled there and back a few times from Swindon, a good destoination as it's about 50 miles due north and the route runs through quiet Cotswold lanes until you get just outside the town. Would then drink the Black Swan (Dirty Duck), which was always fun, with a riverside location and luvvie memorabilia.

Shakespeare's house has to be done I think, even though it's a honeypot....
china red

« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 14:49:59 »

Live really close and whilst it's a nice town always find there is a lot less to do than I expect.  Maybe worth combining with a half day at warwick castle which is really good
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 15:03:32 »

I lived in Warks for 2 years, went to Stratford a couple of times and wasn't that great. Leamington Spa was nicer.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 15:41:13 »

Stratford is nice but very expensive and caters very much for the tourists but you have to visit Shakeys house and Ann Hathaways house when you are there, parking is a nighmare at weekends though.

Warwick town centre is lovely but don't go to the castle as its a total waste of money, went there a month ago for the first time and it was rubbish, great if you have 8 year old kids or an American friend with you who knows nothing at all about history. £30+ is a total rip off and the new dungeon experience was utter crap.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 15:45:57 »

Stratford is nice but very expensive and caters very much for the tourists but you have to visit Shakeys house and Ann Hathaways house when you are there, parking is a nighmare at weekends though.

Warwick town centre is lovely but don't go to the castle as its a total waste of money, went there a month ago for the first time and it was rubbish, great if you have 8 year old kids or an American friend with you who knows nothing at all about history. £30+ is a total rip off and the new dungeon experience was utter crap.

Agree about Warwick... sort of theme park history, it was years ago that I went, but obviously hasn't changed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 15:53:22 »

Agree about Warwick... sort of theme park history, it was years ago that I went, but obviously hasn't changed.
It is, a real dumbing down of history that is aimed at foreign schoolkid tourists and young children, no detail anywhere about the importance in our history of the Earl of Warwick "the kingmaker".

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 16:45:04 »

It is fucking ace if you do have kids though, we had a few really good days out there when the kids were younger. Agree that historically it's bunk, but it's a great "theme park with a different slant" for younger kids
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 17:25:10 »

The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum is in Warwick and is really interesting. Much better than the castle.

It's All Good..............
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: