Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 360023 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1680 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 13:00:13 »

Hmm, I've sat back and not comment on our new gaffer yet.

I've given myself time to sit back and have a think but actually after that my current thoughts are still the same as my first reaction

MEH.

I'm not overwhelmed by this appointment nor am I extremely disappointed and I honestly think that is a good thing. If anything I think we needed a MEH appointment.

Its probably the first manager in a while that hasn't divided the fanbase for one reason or another. I don't think people feel strongly enough one way or the other so perhaps, just maybe he'll give full backing from everyone even if it is in a meh sort of way.

I don't know much about him other than he's Garry Flitcrofts brother. From what I understand he kept Barnsley in the Championship before he was sacked. The following season they went down. He got Bury out of L2 and they are still in L1 now.
So, he at least kept Barnsley steady (before Wilson took them down) and improved Bury enough for them to stay in L1. So that's fairly adequate results without rooting up any trees.

So, I'd say he's had relative success where he has been previously and has the experience we've been crying out for. So I think its a solid if unspectacular appoint, which I think is exactly what we needed.

Now he just needs a complete new squad...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1681 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:10:21 »

Now he just needs a complete new squad...

Flitcroft has a hell of a job on his hands, 8 weeks to recruit an entire new squad, organise a pre season friendly programme, find some staff, get the players up to fitness and instil a new mentality.

TBF, it isn't realistic to expect us to hit the ground running....
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1682 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:31:50 »

I'm hoping he'll be a bit more positive about the task ahead than you sound, Reg  Wink

[You are right by the way]
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1683 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:40:10 »

Flitcroft has a hell of a job on his hands, 8 weeks to recruit an entire new squad, organise a pre season friendly programme, find some staff, get the players up to fitness and instil a new mentality.

Bollocks. We'll be champions by Christmas.

It's All Good..............
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1684 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:45:35 »

I'm hoping he'll be a bit more positive about the task ahead than you sound, Reg  Wink

[You are right by the way]

Well he's said he'll need to talk to 80 players... so he clearly understands what's ahead.  I doubt there'll be any official movement during the remaining 3 weeks of June, while contracts run down, so an opportunity to do stuff in the background.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #1685 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:52:40 »

Brian Clough always maintained that it took a new player six months to really settle into a team. Whether that still stands under more modern management and training methods I can only guess. Will not be looking for miracles before Christmas as the run-in from January is the most important as was proven by our ineptitude last season.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1686 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 15:58:32 »

Brian Clough always maintained that it took a new player six months to really settle into a team. Whether that still stands under more modern management and training methods I can only guess. Will not be looking for miracles before Christmas as the run-in from January is the most important as was proven by our ineptitude last season.

Good points. It's always maintained that it's the pre-season work, that pays dividends at the back end of a season.  Again something we saw last season when the pre-season was again a mess.
Flashheart

« Reply #1687 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 18:09:55 »

Swindon Town FC‏Verified account @Official_STFC  3m3 minutes ago
More
 Swindon Town can confirm that @flitcroftdavid2 is NOT the account of David Flitcroft. He does NOT have Twitter.

Some people really need to get out more.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1688 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 18:46:31 »

Some people really need to get out more.

To be fair ASD was asked to confirm if it was genuine or not, so I guess they decided to confirm it
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1689 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 18:49:25 »

To be fair ASD was asked to confirm if it was genuine or not, so I guess they decided to confirm it

I think he meant fake Flitcroft
REDBUCK

« Reply #1690 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 19:09:06 »

It's a positive that the manager wants to try and win games, bizarre as it may seem, that hasn't been the case of late.

We've had too many players recently, who just don't care about the result, allowed to have that attitude by the coaching staff.

Of course neither of these statements that you state as fact can be known to be true by you.
Flashheart

« Reply #1691 on: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 19:30:12 »

The new gaffer definitely knows how to talk the talk:

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2017/june/flitcroft---the-hard-work-starts-now/
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1692 on: Friday, June 9, 2017, 12:51:43 »

Never realised Flitcroft signed El Abd on loan when he was at Bury. Not sure if I'd want him back here, although he's probably a Flitcroft type.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1693 on: Friday, June 9, 2017, 13:59:59 »

Never realised Flitcroft signed El Abd on loan when he was at Bury. Not sure if I'd want him back here, although he's probably a Flitcroft type.

Think they fell out
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #1694 on: Sunday, June 11, 2017, 15:10:20 »

This may have already been mentioned, so sorry if I'm repeating things. When is DF being formally introduced at the CG?
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: