Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 359974 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 12:14:42 »

I'm assuming we do get the 'scarf above the head' shot and this appointment actually happens (the big news on the OS is still 'Town Become Switch on to Swindon Ambassadors').

With that caveat in mind, I'm really pleased that Power has been true to his word and appointed a proper manager as opposed to a glorified cone gatherer like Drummy. Flitctoft* should get 100% control over first team affairs and we will go back to a much more traditional management structure. It was pretty obvious that after some initial success, the 'model' (how I detest that term in this context) sucked balls and if it was not majorly overhauled/changed we were going to be in serious trouble.

Thankfully Power appears to have realised this and if he is also true to his word with regard to budgets maybe, just maybe we could be in for a reasonably enjoyable season.

*Waits for ..."BBC Wilts understands David Flitcroft will NOT be the next Swindon manager"
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 12:51:15 »

Was he in charge when we played Bury at our gaff last season? They were big & ugly. Bit of a shift from the tappy sideways stuff.
No, that was in February,  he was sacked by Bury in November 2016.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 12:58:02 »

No, that was in February,  he was sacked by Bury in November 2016.

No it was September '16 we played them at the CG.
Flashheart

« Reply #1563 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:01:16 »

Personally I'm wiling to forego any playing style preferences this season even if it means hoofball. Just get the fucking job done. We can worry about pretty football later.

Not that I'm suggesting he is a hoofball merchant (I don't know either way), more that I'm just not fussed.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:03:44 »

Wasn't it one of their fuckers who crocked Sendles White?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:04:52 »

Wasn't it one of their fuckers who crocked Sendles White?

Tom Pope. Who has gone back to Port Vale
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:18:19 »

Personally I'm wiling to forego any playing style preferences this season even if it means hoofball. Just get the fucking job done. We can worry about pretty football later.

Agreed, Sturrock's game wasn't pretty but it got us out of League 2 at the first attempt.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:32:30 »

Solid enough appointment has a bit of managerial experience, at least it looks like he can appoint his own No 2, fitness coach and physio.

Interesting to see the type of style he believes you need to play for this level, and having managed a team that has played and managed in L1 previously, he may know a few of our players that have been offered new deals so can quickly decided whether to pull contract offers or not.

His Bury outfit were pretty much what you'd expect from a lower Div norvern side... big and ugly with little football played.

Judging by that Town fans are going to have to accept, that this will represent a sea change... however needs must, a return to basics is needed.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:34:54 »

His Bury outfit were pretty much what you'd expect from a lower Div norvern side... big and ugly with little football played.

Judging by that Town fans are going to have to accept, that this will represent a sea change... however needs must, a return to basics is needed.

Seems to like quick(ish) wingers also
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:37:24 »

Yeah 'cos our fans just loved the technical way we have been playing for the last two years?
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:38:46 »

I think after the last couple of seasons we must be amongst the easiest set of fans to convince that a more direct approach is the way to go. A tippy tappy style is even less likely to succeed in League 2. We'd have had the crap kicked out of us on a weekly basis.

I'm indifferent at present. Leaning towards being pleased. Had some good times as manager and some very poor ones. At the same time much prefer this appointment to Sheringham or a Hockaday type.

Let's see where we are when the squad has taken some sort of shape.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:43:23 »

Remember that Bury away game actually, the season after they came up... They tore us a new arsehole at their place.

On the flipside.. Anton Rodgers scored against them that day...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 13:48:50 »

Yeah 'cos our fans just loved the technical way we have been playing for the last two years?

As I say needs must. We're in Div 4 so need to play Div 4 football.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 14:06:42 »

As I say needs must. We're in Div 4 so need to play Div 4 football.
Beats the hell out of Conference football Wink
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: Monday, June 5, 2017, 14:09:55 »

More importantly does anyone know his favourite cheese yet?
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: