Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 359997 times)
garethgillman

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1455 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 18:56:27 »

win rate per team managed means nothing, the record for Paul Cook who has just got Portsmouth promoted and also got Chesterfield promoted from L2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cook_(footballer)

Southport: 17%
Sligo Rovers: 47%
Accrington: 24%
Chesterfield: 44%
Portsmouth: 48%

Going by Swindon fans, he should never been given another job after sucking as Acrrington and Southport but in 4 years has got 2 different teams promoted from L2, it proves my point that any manager can look bad if the players around them are poor.

any manager needs the chance so whoever is appointed wouldn't bother me
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:13:51 »

Quote from: Audrey's Bellend
But who's to say a 31% win rate at Morecambe isn't actually bloody good given their situation.

Looks like Coventry are going for it - signing our old boy James Collins. Their 7th signing.
what, 7, but all the players and agents are on holiday? shenanigans.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1457 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:28:28 »

Don't you think that maybe the expectation would be that he'd do better with more resources? Do you think Power and his Pals are looking for somebody that will win 31% of games for us?

Spell at Telford aside, Bentley is essentially a one club man.
It would remain to be seen if he could rise to the challenge in an entirely different environment to Morecambe.
From what Power has said, the aim would appear to be to get out of L2 at the first attempt.
Going from 31% to the well over 40% plus required would be no mean feat.

I don't mind Power taking his time over this appointment as long as panic doesn't supersede the need for some proper due diligence.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1458 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:40:13 »

This is the Reg-giest post I've ever seen from someone who isn't actually Reg

Blimey. That was not the intention.
Getting up at stupid o'clock to, in the main, follow shit around the country for the last couple of years might have eroded slightly what is normally an optimistic outlook on all things STFC.

Will still be looking forward to the start of the new season regardless of who is the manager.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
garethgillman

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1459 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:45:28 »

I don't mind Power taking his time over this appointment as long as panic doesn't supersede the need for some proper due diligence.

Plenty have done it, if you have a bigger budget and the choice of more players means you can have different playing style and better options on the bench. Paul Cook went from 20% to 44% going from Accrington to Chesterfield, both in the same division but a bigger budget.

I don't know much about Bentley to judge him but someone like Sherringham would be a good signing just because of the name, look what PDC did when he came here, if he can do what PDC did but on a more realistic budget then he would also be loved by the fans.

Mark Cooper, had a 29% win rate at Tamworth after 138 games, 128 games at Kettering he had 57% win rate, he doubled his win ratio by moving clubs.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1460 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:47:38 »

Spell at Telford aside, Bentley is essentially a one club man.
It would remain to be seen if he could rise to the challenge in an entirely different environment to Morecambe.
From what Power has said, the aim would appear to be to get out of L2 at the first attempt.
Going from 31% to the well over 40% plus required would be no mean feat.

Bentley looks to be a competent Div 4 manager.  Exactly what we need atm.

His sort of man is Kevin Ellison 38 years old and most of his career scuffing round the lower Divs.... he'll score you a few goals still though.

We're going to have to hope, if it is Bentley, that he can find us a squad of Div 4 journeymen pronto
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:50:09 »

His sort of man is Kevin Ellison 38 years old and most of his career scuffing round the lower Divs.... he'll score you a few goals still though.

We're going to have to hope, if it is Bentley, that he can find us a squad of Div 4 journeymen pronto

If he does come, perhaps he will bring Michael Rose with him 👀
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:50:59 »

We got Danny Williams from a club where he was a long serving employee.

That's my romantic straw clutch if Bentley rolls in to Town...
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 21:30:24 by Costanza » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:00:33 »

If he does come, perhaps he will bring Michael Rose with him 👀

If we're going away from the creche scheme, as Power intimates, then a gaffer like Bentley is going to want the likes of a Rose.

Lower league journeyman types.  Personally I'll settle for a Rose rather than a BOO.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1464 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:08:39 »

Ha, looked up Kevin Ellison earlier when Bentley was first mooted.

Power has stated that being in current employment won't be an obstacle if it means getting the right person in.
Just thinking that Gareth Ainsworth might be worth a punt. That's without any knowledge of what his level of contentment at Wycombe might be, although may have been attracting interest from higher divisions, but wouldn't need to uproot from up North.

Lack of availability of a good pot of Scouse could count against us as far as Bentley is concerned.

Crap!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:09:41 »

If we're going away from the creche scheme, as Power intimates, then a gaffer like Bentley is going to want the likes of a Rose.

Lower league journeyman types.  Personally I'll settle for a Rose rather than a BOO.
Fighting for Football League survival would be like a dream for you wouldn't it, all your prophecies of doom and gloom would come to fruition. You've been wanting something like this to happen for years.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:17:15 »

win rate per team managed means nothing, the record for Paul Cook who has just got Portsmouth promoted and also got Chesterfield promoted from L2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cook_(footballer)

Southport: 17%
Sligo Rovers: 47%
Accrington: 24%
Chesterfield: 44%
Portsmouth: 48%

Going by Swindon fans, he should never been given another job after sucking as Acrrington and Southport
Everyone sucks at Southport, it's inherent. And win ratios are bollocks, it's all about PPG
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1467 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:24:34 »

Fighting for Football League survival would be like a dream for you wouldn't it, all your prophecies of doom and gloom would come to fruition. You've been wanting something like this to happen for years.
I'm with Reg. I think we are in danger of losing our league status. I'm not sure what makes us confident. In the last 3 seasons we've lost virtually every game to teams lower than us. A decent manager and good player recruitment could put this to bed quickly. If it is Sheringham then I'd boe very worried. If that cunt Sherwood is still around I'd be very worried. I still can't get over the way we went down last season and the way Power let us when it was so preventable. I've heard Power's words but I've not seen anything tangible that would back these words up.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:24:40 »

Everyone sucks at Southport, it's inherent. And win ratios are bollocks, it's all about PPG

Bentley has won 371 from 930 points or 1.2 points per game

Cooper was 1.4 but only a 3rd of the games

PDC was 1.58 from 95 games
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1469 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:26:43 »

Ha, looked up Kevin Ellison earlier when Bentley was first mooted.

Power has stated that being in current employment won't be an obstacle if it means getting the right person in.
Just thinking that Gareth Ainsworth might be worth a punt. That's without any knowledge of what his level of contentment at Wycombe might be, although may have been attracting interest from higher divisions, but wouldn't need to uproot from up North.

Lack of availability of a good pot of Scouse could count against us as far as Bentley is concerned.

I mooted Ainsworth back in April....sadly he's 3 years left on his contract.

Didn't realise Bentley was Scouse. Could be a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: