Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 361519 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:02:58 »

My gripe was that you describe us as being in our worst state ever and that is utter crap and you know it. Under Diamandis we had winding up orders every other week, players not being paid, Administration and Ben Lambert coming on here and sending emails threatening us with legal action. We're not even close to that or the 3k league crowd we got against Cambridge when SSW, his twat of a son and Diamandis were involved!

Indeed those were dark days, yet somehow, it did still feel as if there was a football club in there somewhere worth saving...hence the whole orange protest.

A club is more than just a balance sheet....atm I look at it at see next to nothing I can relate to, aside from the fans and even here many a long standing season ticket holder have had enough.

Of course we may bounce back from the present nadir, it has happened before.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:11:19 »

Just getting too old Reg, are you sure you haven't had a small cycling incident around Liden Lagoon recently?

Hill would be a good choice
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:13:13 »

Indeed those were dark days, yet somehow, it did still feel as if there was a football club in there somewhere worth saving...hence the whole orange protest.

The club is still there, and unlike the Diamandis days is unlikely to be wound up in the next 48 hours. That period coincided with my first period of working away from the main office for a prolonged period of time and I have very vivid memories of various afternoons locked away on my own in a site office updating this site very 5 minutes to see if we had been wound up or changed hands....

even here many a long standing season ticket holder have had enough.

Considering how shit our crowds were for much of the Diamandis period they were not that long standing?
Flashheart

« Reply #723 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:19:13 »

FH will know the right term for your "if you don't agree with my extreme characterisation, then you must be absolutely happy with everything" argument, but it's specious and you know it.

His comment was a strawman fallacy, deliberate or otherwise. He may have constructed the strawman intentionally because it's an easier target to attack. Either that, or he is genuinely unaware he committed a fallacy at all...

Cognitive distortion is a psychological phenomena that pretty much blinds people to the whole picture. There's a list here of how it manifests itself, and there's several on the list that fit Reg to a tee. Polarised thinking is the particular term we're looking for in this instance. https://psychcentral.com/lib/15-common-cognitive-distortions/ I expect Ells would know more about it than I do.

It's thought to be a by-product of evolution in that there was a need for a fight or flight reaction in order to aid survival. For example, trying to weigh up the situation when faced with a poisonous snake in the wild instead of assuming the worst could end up in disaster.

To be fair to Reg, it is very common. I come upon it on pretty much a daily basis and it can be so blatant that one often wonders if I'm just dealing with a troll. Apparently though, people do genuinely struggle with it. Lot's of them.

I don't know if you actually wanted an answer, but there it is Cheesy

Oh, and I actually have him on ignore which is proving to be futile because you cunts keep quoting him Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:20:00 »

The club is still there, and unlike the Diamandis days is unlikely to be wound up in the next 48 hours. That period coincided with my first period of working away from the main office for a prolonged period of time and I have very vivid memories of various afternoons locked away on my own in a site office updating this site very 5 minutes to see if we had been wound up or changed hands....

Considering how shit our crowds were for much of the Diamandis period they were not that long standing?

When was the last time you visited the CG? 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:28:50 »

When was the last time you visited the CG? 

Not sure of the relevance, but I honestly couldn't tell you, the 240 mile each way trip kind of makes it very difficult and I have little incentive to go south of Birmingham these days unless for work?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:29:47 »

Reg, putting aside the quality of the team, what was our smallest home league crowd in 2005/6 vs 2016/17?  That's a good barometer to how people feel in terms of engagement with the club.  Add that to the balance sheet and P&L account, and cash flow (none of which can be ignored because we've been a business since a date back when you remember).

There is a good case for the on field problems being close to club equaling poor, and the New Manager, some Brazilian called Gaffer would be good, will be key to how that develops.  I don't see that as a Trust issue though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 16:49:17 »

Reg, putting aside the quality of the team, what was our smallest home league crowd in 2005/6 vs 2016/17?  That's a good barometer to how people feel in terms of engagement with the club.  Add that to the balance sheet and P&L account, and cash flow (none of which can be ignored because we've been a business since a date back when you remember).

There is a good case for the on field problems being close to club equaling poor, and the New Manager, some Brazilian called Gaffer would be good, will be key to how that develops.  I don't see that as a Trust issue though.

05/06.... 4,100 for a Tuesday night after we lost 7-1 at Forest

16/17.... 6,100 several of these or near enough

The trust wish to buy the CG, but the CG is not just a piece of real estate it exists to showcase the product of STFC and atm that product is  not as it should be.

It's legitimate for the Trust to ask the owner of the club of his plans to improve the product, or not as the case may be.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #728 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 17:03:29 »

Keith Hill's odds have shortened significantly.
Apparently hes been approched by Wigan according to the Dale forum.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:19:37 »

Steve Cotterill now 5/1 - 3rd favourite.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:20:53 »

Steve Cotterill now 5/1 - 3rd favourite.
It's becoming clear that the bookies have as little idea as we do.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:48:47 »

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/20715921
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #732 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:54:13 »

Keith Hill isn't even listed
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 18:57:06 »

Keith Hill isn't even listed

That's how likely to manage Swindon he is.....

Cotterill has shot up the list.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 19:05:57 »

And this list shows just how nonsensical it all is

https://m.oddschecker.com/t/football/football-specials/swindon/next-permanent-manager
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: