Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 359982 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:28:51 »

So you don't think there are fans who will want to ask questions about the direction is taking the club. Fair enough maybe you don't get out much, but the underlying vibe I get from chatting with many Town fans of long standing is one of discontent.
Come on Reg, that's 6th form debating society level stuff. theakston and others objected to your OTT characterisation of the current state of affairs as being the worst state the club's ever been in. No-one suggested that there isn't discontent, of course there is, and rightly so. Or that people shouldn't be asking questions. Absolutely they should and you are right that the Trust is probably a good vehicle to do so. FH will know the right term for your "if you don't agree with my extreme characterisation, then you must be absolutely happy with everything" argument, but it's specious and you know it.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:37:31 »

There is only discontent because the quality of players have diminished year on year, which makes people think of asset stripping but you only have to look at how the club was left by Black that it was inevitable the new owner(s) would come in and cut costs because there is no way that a L1 team should be overspending by £5m a year on wages. We had championship level budget in L1/2 and didn't get promoted so it was always going to happen.

Power has supposedly got that overspend down and now are running at close to break even but the players we have on the budget we had wasn't good enough and the manager / coach didn't do enough to keep us in the league. Power has come out and said the right things since relegation (I got it wrong) and (new manager will have full control over recruitment) so I am optimistic that he has learnt a very valuable lesson and that he was trying to do everything where as delegating tasks out to those more experienced is always wiser.

The next 3 days will tell if what he has said, will happen.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:39:04 »

Though in general I’m quite frustrated with Power’s communication and PR,  I do think on this issue his hands are tied.

Approaching a manager employed by another club, whether realistic or not, is always going to be a precarious and tricky business. Something that can’t be done while giving constant updates to interested observers. Not least because of the potential for ‘tapping up’ accusations.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:42:50 »

Everything. Pick a Ramsey, Drummey, or a Vivaesh and it kills expectations and resets it to more 'kids football', which is surely the crux of most of the issues fans have.
OR give whoever is appointed a fair chance and judge them based on their recruitment, style of play and results.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:48:07 »

Come on Reg, that's 6th form debating society level stuff. theakston and others objected to your OTT characterisation of the current state of affairs as being the worst state the club's ever been in. No-one suggested that there isn't discontent, of course there is, and rightly so. Or that people shouldn't be asking questions. Absolutely they should and you are right that the Trust is probably a good vehicle to do so. FH will know the right term for your "if you don't agree with my extreme characterisation, then you must be absolutely happy with everything" argument, but it's specious and you know it.

Theakston's reply was a response to my suggestioin that some fans at the Trust meeting might want to ask questions on the general drift of the club, not just Trust matters...which he considered utter crap.

My opinion that the club is in a worse state now....is just that my opinion. I'm quite happy to debate why I've arrived at the conclusion.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:59:12 »

OR give whoever is appointed a fair chance and judge them based on their recruitment, style of play and results.

Yes of course. It would be foolish to jump on a managers back straight away.

But I'm really sick to death of a million and one loans and castoffs, tippy tappy shit, and an inability to defend or attack.

But don't ask me to be immediately thrilled at type of manager being appointed that would appear to be in place to continue this. I need proof before belief. I bet I'm not alone.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:01:07 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:03:49 »

It will never catch on....
Chrystovski

« Reply #667 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:05:27 »

Yes of course. It would be foolish to jump on a managers back straight away.

But I'm really sick to death of a million and one loans and castoffs, tippy tappy shit, and an inability to defend or attack.

But don't ask me to be immediately thrilled at type of manager being appointed that would appear to be in place to continue this. I need proof before belief. I bet I'm not alone.

This
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #668 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:05:27 »

Back to the point about Evans; our initial approach at least got us some attention and I wonder if more candidates have come forward as a result.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:11:30 »

Back to the point about Evans; our initial approach at least got us some attention and I wonder if more candidates have come forward as a result.

Think AA is the next logical choice, as he has basically said in the press "come and get me", there is also the chance that Cotterill could be tempted, as he has supposedly applied for the job twice previously and is now out of a job.
Chrystovski

« Reply #670 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:17:45 »

In defense of Reg, whilst the club might be on a more stable footing (as we are led to believe) the club is fundamentally broken on the pitch as a result of Power assembling one of the worst squads in living memory. He has little interest in engaging with the fan base, his appointment of Sherwood was shambolic, we have a limited budget, stale football, few salable assets and to top that off he has a shady history which will always leave big question marks over his intentions. At this moment it is hard to be optimistic. Yes, that may change over the summer but at this moment I can see why Reg and other Town fans feel the way they do.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:25:23 »

stale football, few salable assets and to top that off he has a shady history which will always leave big question marks over his intentions.

Is this not entirely contradictory?
Chrystovski

« Reply #672 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:37:17 »

Is this not entirely contradictory?

Why, are his intentions to have few salable assets and stale football?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:41:04 by Chrystovski » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:57:58 »

In defense of Reg, whilst the club might be on a more stable footing (as we are led to believe) the club is fundamentally broken on the pitch as a result of Power assembling one of the worst squads in living memory. He has little interest in engaging with the fan base, his appointment of Sherwood was shambolic, we have a limited budget, stale football, few salable assets and to top that off he has a shady history which will always leave big question marks over his intentions. At this moment it is hard to be optimistic. Yes, that may change over the summer but at this moment I can see why Reg and other Town fans feel the way they do.
I'm one of them. Completely agree with all the above. Just don't think it required the leap into hyperbole of Comic Book Guy style "Worst. State. Ever." Which served to undermine, rather than reinforce, what I suspect was his main point, to urge fans to attend the Trust meeting and use it as a platform to (indirectly) ask questions of the regime
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 13:15:51 »

I'm one of them. Completely agree with all the above. Just don't think it required the leap into hyperbole of Comic Book Guy style "Worst. State. Ever." Which served to undermine, rather than reinforce, what I suspect was his main point, to urge fans to attend the Trust meeting and use it as a platform to (indirectly) ask questions of the regime

Let me rephrase it then...

The Trust are having an open meeting on the 24th May at MECA.

I would urge all who are able and have STFC in their blood, to get along to this. I don't think the club has been in a worse state in my time, but there are other posters who disagree.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: