Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 360112 times)
Chrystovski

« Reply #645 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 10:21:36 »

With Power's record, I'd argue Evans was never a realistic target. As mentioned by a few others he has a record of doing it in the past with players (Goldson, Bradshaw.) The bids I think were described as measly & laughable at the time but I think it was his way of showing fans ambition with the hope of putting a few more bums on seats. Not a bad idea, as even I got excited at the thought of a name manager coming in at Town but you can only use that card so many times before people see through it.

Happily eat my words if he is appointed but would be surprised.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #646 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 10:24:45 »

I don't think the club has been in a worse state in my time.
Worse than Diamandis and Brady? hmmm I am not so sure.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 10:36:44 »

Worse than Diamandis and Brady? hmmm I am not so sure.

In many ways yes.  Diamond Mike was the unacceptable face of SSW, the club still held AGM's and sessions where fans could meet the manager, open days etc.

I'll grant you Brady and mates were bad news, but they didn't hang around for long once it was obvious they weren't going to make fantastic sums of money from the club, leaving SSW to pick up the pieces.

You always felt with SSW, that although not well suited to owning an FC, he was basically a fan with the interests of the club at heart.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 10:44:59 »

In many ways yes.  Diamond Mike was the unacceptable face of SSW, the club still held AGM's and sessions where fans could meet the manager, open days etc.

I'll grant you Brady and mates were bad news, but they didn't hang around for long once it was obvious they weren't going to make fantastic sums of money from the club, leaving SSW to pick up the pieces.

You always felt with SSW, that although not well suited to owning an FC, he was basically a fan with the interests of the club at heart.
But he delegated the running of the club to Diamandis who ran it into the ground in the interests of securing the pay-off he always felt he was entitled to. The club was so badly run at that time that it was repeatedly in danger of going out of existence and no amount of AGMs where we could ask pointed questions which would be ignored/fobbed off anyway makes up for that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 10:55:30 »

But he delegated the running of the club to Diamandis who ran it into the ground in the interests of securing the pay-off he always felt he was entitled to. The club was so badly run at that time that it was repeatedly in danger of going out of existence and no amount of AGMs where we could ask pointed questions which would be ignored/fobbed off anyway makes up for that.

As bad as it was, I still feel things are worse atm.

The Trust meeting is so say to get updates on Trust matters....but I can't help feeling there will be fans who want to ask questions about the direction Power is taking the club and how the Trust should react.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:04:48 »

Anyway....back to the manager stuff.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Hockaday as the next manager.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:10:56 »

The Trust meeting is so say to get updates on Trust matters....but I can't help feeling there will be fans who want to ask questions about the direction Power is taking the club and how the Trust should react.

Power isn't as open as previous owners but the club is far from in a worse position than ever before, if we take what Power says on face value then the club is operating profitably with no (or small amount of) debt which is owed to him. This means if he was to walk away then the club could realistically run itself as there would be no creditors banging at the door wanting payment.

Unfortunately a small group of fans have had a vendetta against Power since day one based on his previous history without no one knowing full facts. He came out and said he is here to make money but they took that as he will asset strip the club down to bare bones and then fuck off with the season ticket money in August! 3 years in and it hasn't happened yet.

In an ideal world he would be way more open about the finances of the club but he is under no obligation to do that and the numbers can easily be cooked to look better than they are to please the fans, and the majority wouldn't be able to understand what the difference between an operating and pre-tax profit is. How many clubs actually tell their fans the full finances that are owned by 1 owner and not have a board.

I get that some fans are worried but on the surface everything looks like it's ticking along nicely as we haven't done a Bury or Orient and had HMRC (or other creditors) getting the club in court over unpaid bills, until that happens then I am of the mindset that the ones who say that we are in deep shit don't know what they are talking about.

In the long term I would like to see more transparency, possibly someone from the trust on the board and a bit more fan relations from Power but realistically I can't see it happening anytime soon.

No news is good news supposedly  Wink
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:11:34 »

Anyway....back to the manager stuff.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Hockaday as the next manager.

Don't say that, the FB group will start an online riot with their thumbs  Cheesy
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:12:33 »

The Trust are having an open meeting o the 24th May at MECA.

I would urge all who are able and have STFC in their blood, to get along to this. I don't think the club has been in a worse state in my time.

Hahaha. it's not even close to being in the worst state in my time and i'm a lot younger than you Reg.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:16:17 »

You really do talk utter crap don't you! For years I've tried to work out weather you are trolling or just have the most gloomy outlook on things..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:18:38 »

Probably the least engaged with the fans that I can remember, not that all previous engagement was good.

Probably the worst direction we've taken on the pitch for a long time. Let's see if that continues.

But no evidence that in terms of financial stability we are anywhere near the worst we've been. At least not while Power it's here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:22:24 »

You really do talk utter crap don't you! For years I've tried to work out weather you are trolling or just have the most gloomy outlook on things..

So you don't think there are fans who will want to ask questions about the direction is taking the club. Fair enough maybe you don't get out much, but the underlying vibe I get from chatting with many Town fans of long standing is one of discontent.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:23:17 »

What the fuck does this have to do with a new manager?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:23:47 »

So you don't think there are fans who will want to ask questions about the direction is taking the club. Fair enough maybe you don't get out much, but the underlying vibe I get from chatting with many Town fans of long standing is one of discontent.

You haven't been on the train from Stroud have you?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:28:28 »

What the fuck does this have to do with a new manager?

Everything. Pick a Ramsey, Drummey, or a Vivaesh and it kills expectations and resets it to more 'kids football', which is surely the crux of most of the issues fans have.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: