Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 361138 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:23:24 »

Interestingly when we won the title in 85-86 we only won 2 of our first 8 games and lost 5 of those.

Do you think fans were more understanding then, because I think if our new manager has that kind of start next season there will be many calling for him to be sacked
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:26:01 »

The few that "hate" Evans is because he called the club a circus when PDC was here

Cheers, but that's not why I hate Evans at all. I've said worse things about the club under PDC than Evans did myself.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:26:47 »

You mean like Di Canio did..

I'll repeat myself.

When he began PdC could happily pick 7 of 11 starters already on the books, which included players like Caddis, Flint, and Ritchie, all of whom have been in the Championship or in Ritchie's case Prem recently. He could also stick Nathan and Ferry on the bench. An XI of already contracted players would have been possible.

Our new manager is going to have Conroy, whose played about a dozen games, Conor Thomas, who most don't rate, 4 goal striker Luke Norris, with Jon Goddard. However you want to dress it up, that is not a strong core for a FL club even in the basement.

No doubt the XI for our opener, will have the fewest STFC FL games under their belt since the opener v Luton in 1920.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:33:58 »

http://mobile.mansfieldtown.net//news/article/2016-17/gaffer-excited-after-hat-trick-of-signings-3718096.aspx
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:35:56 »

I'll repeat myself.

When he began PdC could happily pick 7 of 11 starters already on the books, which included players like Caddis, Flint, and Ritchie, all of whom have been in the Championship or in Ritchie's case Prem recently. He could also stick Nathan and Ferry on the bench. An XI of already contracted players would have been possible.

PDC did bring in a lot of players that summer - most of them were pretty dreadful through a variety of agent connections - Atiku, Comazzi, Lanzano, Magera, Risser etc. - in some ways he was very lucky that we had a lot of very talented players in the squad already. Can't deny that he got them fit and playing together, but building a squad was not his forte.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:40:43 »

PDC did bring in a lot of players that summer - most of them were pretty dreadful through a variety of agent connections - Atiku, Comazzi, Lanzano, Magera, Risser etc. - in some ways he was very lucky that we had a lot of very talented players in the squad already. Can't deny that he got them fit and playing together, but building a squad was not his forte.

Yes, this is the point....if PdC hadn't the core of quality around, given some of the dross who he brought in we'd have struggled.

The new manager isn't going to have that advantage... the Evans thing as suspected looks increasingly like a smokescreen, but he's showing at Stags, that to build a squad you need to crack on with it.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 19:07:33 »

Do you think fans were more understanding then, because I think if our new manager has that kind of start next season there will be many calling for him to be sacked

If that was the Macari season, we actually got him re-instated after he'd been sacked - so yes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 19:24:54 »

Not all fans are stupid... Macari had managed to turn around the home form in 84/85...fans could see a side looking to win the game, could see players improving. The slow start in 85/86 was a consequence of only 3 home games in the first 8 and the away form still being a problem. The opener at the CG was lost, but the next 2 won...in fact the 1-0 defeat to Wrexham was the only loss that season, also there was progress in the LC.

The new manager is going to need to show some evidence of t e home form being at least more acceptable than the historic shite we've had to put up with the last couple of seasons.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 23:23:06 »

How is it becoming a farce? didn't we say 8 days a few days ago and everything else appears to be either agents or clubs leaking their own info out, nothing has come from us so far has it?

I don't know where it's come from, but it's coming from somewhere.  Why not just keep things quiet about who we're speaking to until there's something concrete to avoid all the speculation?  Other clubs seem to manage it.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 23:38:46 »

I don't know where it's come from, but it's coming from somewhere.  Why not just keep things quiet about who we're speaking to until there's something concrete to avoid all the speculation?  Other clubs seem to manage it.

I'm quite sure other teams without managers will be going through the same...

Fans and the media look at potential targets, just like this 42 page thread! Fans put money on tips/rumours/hopes, betting odds tumble, the adver contacts the favourites clubs to see if manager is interested hoping for a scoop. I can't see any comment from Swindon at all in this I don't know why you think it's the club
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 06:13:59 »

I don't know where it's come from, but it's coming from somewhere.  Why not just keep things quiet about who we're speaking to until there's something concrete to avoid all the speculation?  Other clubs seem to manage it.
We have kept things quiet haven't we? Mansfield came out and said they'd refused us permission, Swindon haven't said a word about it.
It's been either the Adver/Total or Mansfield, that's reported it. All Power has said officially is he'd like an appointment in 8 days. So think its a bit unfair to criticise Power/the club for what's currently in the media.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #626 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 06:48:11 »

I am not sure, I know that back then we were pretty shit so we accepted we were shit and anything extra was a nice bonus.

If that was the Macari season, we actually got him re-instated after he'd been sacked - so yes
It was Macari in charge but the reinstatement season was the one prior to that season, happened around Easter time after Macari and Harry Gregg had a massive fall out over training methods, the board sacking them both but reinstating Macari after large scale (for us) protests.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 06:53:27 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 06:57:42 »

During this situation Swindon Town and Lee Power haven't done anything majorly wrong whatsoever.

- They've given timescales (which was probably more hopeful than concrete)
- They've kept quiet
- They've not negotiated via the media

Nowadays these actions will result in

- The initial date being magnified to result in any appointment made after the self-imposed deadline being deemed as recruitment out of desperation. Especially if it's not someone from the bookmakers list.

- Criticism for not keeping the loyal fans up-to-date unlike that lovely Peterborough chairman on Twitter.

- Being criticised for going through the media even though it's Mansfield and Partick have been talking about it openly.

There will come a point when it's been too long but right now footballers are in Las Vegas and Dubai and we need to (ideally) get this appointment right. Therefore I'm happy to give Power longer on this.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 07:05:37 by Costanza » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 07:03:33 »

Is he still not here...

think I'll start to worry at the end of next week, mainly because I assumed we had a bit of a plan with the timescale and "well underway" search.

There is a lot to be done at this club.
Flashheart

« Reply #629 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 07:24:29 »

He's moaned at when he doesn't tell us what's happening. Now he's being moaned at because he is telling us what's happening, even though he actually isn't.

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't, and you're damned to be accused of doing so even if you're not.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: