Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 360076 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 23:44:31 »

Interesting post from 'Waggy' on Stagsnet (MTFC forum)

Re: Swindon [refused permission to speak to Evans]

Postby Waggy » Mon May 15, 2017 4:12 pm

In one thread we are rumoured to have out-bid Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Coventry for a striker and in this one the manager is after leaving for a cash-strapped car crash of a club with an elevated opinion of itself

It doesn't make sense. Anyone think that Swindon see us as main title contenders and are trying to put a spanner in the works?

Or is it possible that JR and SE have colluded to see what Swindon have in their treasure chest?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 05:24:14 »

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:02:37 »

Interesting post from 'Waggy' on Stagsnet (MTFC forum)
"A club with an elevated opinion of itself"?

I think the fact that we have approached that slug of a man would suggest otherwise.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:08:13 »

Actually, I thought that 'cash-strapped car crash of a club with an elevated opinion of itself' was a pretty good description of us.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:16:43 »

Id rather that than 'Poor man's Chesterfield' though.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:19:11 »

Actually, I thought that 'cash-strapped car crash of a club with an elevated opinion of itself' was a pretty good description of us.

I agreed with everything other than the "elevated opinion" bit because I think the Swindon's only crime here is approaching a club to get permission to speak to their manager. A club with a reclusive mentality and downtrodden fanbase doesn't strike me as elevated.

Elsewhere, I read one Mansfield fan bemoan the 'brown paper bag' transfer of Colin Calderwood during the OUR-CLUB-IS-BETTER-THAN-YOUR-CLUB dick-swinging that goes on during this sort of business. Got to love 30 year old grudges.

I thought the Football League decided that transfer fee?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:49:14 by Costanza » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #501 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:25:14 »

'Delusions of grandeur' was another accusation levelled at us. I did a double take on that one.
Chrystovski

« Reply #502 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:29:27 »

Maybe Power needs some help with his tax return, needs a couple of 0's to disappear.

In all seriousness, I think it could be a match made in heaven.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:30:22 »

The one where it Radford and Evans were collaborating together to see our treasure chest made me chuckle
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:30:49 »

I agreed with everything other than the "elevated opinion" bit because I think the Swindon's only crime here is approaching a club to get permission to speak to their manager. A club with a reclusive mentality and downtrodden fanbase doesn't strike me and elevated.

Elsewhere, I read one Mansfield fan bemoan the 'brown paper bag' transfer of Colin Calderwood during the OUR-CLUB-IS-BETTER-THAN-YOUR-CLUB dick-swinging that goes on during this sort of business. Got to love 30 year old grudges.

I thought the Football League decided that transfer fee?
They did but it was based on false information being given to them. The fee is based on, for example, the salary that the player will be paid and Swindon declared a lower salary than he was actually paid (the rest being made up with "bonuses" that presumably weren't disclosed).

Swindon wasn't the only club to do that sort of thing (Chelsea and Spurs were found guilty of financial irregularities at around the same time) but it was the one to be made an example of. I still harbour a grudge 30 years on.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:37:10 »

'Delusions of grandeur' was another accusation levelled at us. I did a double take on that one.

Delusions of mediocrity would be better.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #506 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:39:30 »

The one where it Radford and Evans were collaborating together to see our treasure chest made me chuckle
Garrr Tim me hearty.....tis empty....best we plunder the high seas again....yarrrrrr.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #507 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:44:58 »

They did but it was based on false information being given to them. The fee is based on, for example, the salary that the player will be paid and Swindon declared a lower salary than he was actually paid (the rest being made up with "bonuses" that presumably weren't disclosed).

Swindon wasn't the only club to do that sort of thing (Chelsea and Spurs were found guilty of financial irregularities at around the same time) but it was the one to be made an example of. I still harbour a grudge 30 years on.....
Exactly....and I too still bear a grudge 30 years on against the Football League hierarchy.

But what they seem to forget is that it was under Macari's guidance that made Colin into the player he became, I doubt he would have got the same standard of coaching at Mansfield under Ian Greaves so would not have progessed so quickly IMO and could well have stayed at that level.

Great coaching makes great players and Macari and staff were great coaches.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:53:12 »

I hold a grudge against the Mansfield fans for chucking a brick through the back window of the Rimes' coach back in 68.

Fucking freezing on the way home..... and don't even start on Thatcher's finest in 86.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #509 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:05:03 »

I hold a grudge against the Mansfield fans for chucking a brick through the back window of the Rimes' coach back in 68.

Fucking freezing on the way home..... and don't even start on Thatcher's finest in 86.
I was still in a pushchair in 68 Cheesy but 86 when we won the title there was a day I won't forget, even though they were going for promotion too I don't remember Mansfield fans at all that day just the invasion of about 3,500 Town fans and of course the old bill out for a bit of a fight.

I think the irony on their forum about delusions of grandeur when you read some of their posts, they seem very very arrogant that they will win promotion this season.

Swindon are another County. Once played at a higher level and now have delusions of grandeur.

Personally, I think Swindon have made the approach to try to de-stabilise us in the transfer market. If players start to doubt that Steve Evans will be here, will Mansfield still be such an attractive proposition?

He's going nowhere, maybe swindon are just trying to unsettle the players/backroom/fans because they know we want success and so do they probably so if they can cause some kind of unrest despite knowing there's no chance evans would leave for a team in the same league. 'I'm not a league 2 manager'

I find all this simmering feeling of 'Evans is bigger than Mansfield' quite distasteful. Evans will never be bigger than our club

He wants another promotion on his cv and he know he has good chance of getting it here.

He will NEVER leave us for another league two club. NEVER. He would only accept a job in a higher league where they have a stable back room that are pulling the same way with supporters.

If Swindon are doing it to try and destabilise our promotion push given we've been out the blocks quickly and publicly stated our intent then I hope Evans can convince any pending signings to still sign on the dotted line!

The Mini got more chance being made at British Leyland by Friday than Stevie Evans becoming Swindon manager

I think if Steve Evans was going to stay at Mansfield he would have come out publically and denied he was interested in the Swindon job......his silence tells you everything.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: