Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 360128 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 14:52:06 »

Even worse, Chang will be right!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 14:57:05 »

Even worse, Chang will be right!
Don't worry he previously said Williams was staying so has already had his 'Chang moment'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:02:07 »

adver think Evans has two years left on his contract.

so may not be as simple as resigning without consequences for Evans (buying out contact,). it's good to speculate..
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:18:49 »

interesting comments from him when he took the mansfield job

When asked if he came close to taking the City Ground job before it went to Frenchman Montanier, Evans said "yes."

"My representatives told me that."

He continued: "The way modern day football works is and supporters probably think it was unusual for me to get a direct call from John Radford, normally your representatives are talking to people and you go forward and they tell you that the business side of it is done and you go and talk football."

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #454 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:21:42 »

We are a bigger club historically (although not much in it) with a bit of potential in the right hands.

Mansfield seem to be trying to flex some financial muscle publically, though. So he'd probably get a bigger budget at Mansfield but playing in front of smaller crowds (well, could be bigger if they are winning and we continue to be shit). Obviously the behind the scenes being a bit of a mess doesn't bother Evans, or else he wouldn't have touched Leeds with a barge pole.

Success here and we'll be pushing 10-15K crowds.

He's got a comfortable gig where he is now as the Mansfield fans and board have clearly bought into the ridiculous notion that he's too big for them, so he can do no wrong. He won't have that here.
I would dispute the "not much in it" in terms of size historically.

Mansfield have never been in the Premier League (albeit 1 season)
they have never won one of three big trophies in English football (again albeit only once)
they have never been to the semi final of the FA cup x2
they only 2 football league title sides the last being in 1977 to our 3 titles the last being 2012
they have only had 3 seasons at Championship level whereas we have had 18 in total
we have never fallen out of the top 4 divisions to National League level
their record attendance of 24,467 has been bettered by us on 29 occasions
their home average last season was 3,773 was just over half our average of 7,025

But as you state their chairman seems to be throwing some funds at Evans in a bid to keep him happy and to give them a push up the league but I would still think if he came to us he would have a larger budget than Mansfield can currently provide him with, if a bid for him is eventually accepted then I would say it would come down to the ambition of each clubs owner to win him over.

I am still surprised that he would only be the 2nd manager since I have been watching the Town (42+) years that we have poached from nother club for a fee (Bobby Smith being the last one in 1978 from Port Vale for a fee of £10,000).
« Last Edit: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:24:18 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:35:48 »

Is that bird still involved in running Mansfield, or has she just fleeced Radford for a few bob  Hmmm

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:42:31 »

Is that bird still involved in running Mansfield, or has she just fleeced Radford for a few bob  Hmmm

Still the chief exec I believe, looks like Hatie Kopkins after some botched work through a soft filter.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:45:12 »

BBC report Mansfield not allowing Power to talk to fatty.

Clems Army!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:48:24 »

BBC report Mansfield not allowing Power to talk to fatty.
Obviously they can stop the formal talks if however they happen to have a had a chat as friends over tea and burgers...sorry I mean biscuits. Then I'm not sure there is a lot Mansfield could do.
Flashheart

« Reply #459 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:54:07 »

If Power and Evans are friends, and I'm inclined to believe they are, there's no way they haven't spoken about this.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:54:57 »

Obviously they can stop the formal talks if however they happen to have a had a chat as friends over tea and burgers...sorry I mean biscuits. Then I'm not sure there is a lot Mansfield could do.

Its dealt with by agents anyway usually so surely it is down to Evans to tell Mansfield he wishes to talk to stfc if he's interested, them to throw their toys out the pram saying they are upset he wants to talk etc, then argue over compensation and for Power to claim he got a good deal with a buy back clause inserted
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 15:59:31 »

If Power and Evans are friends, and I'm inclined to believe they are, there's no way they haven't spoken about this.
Yep, even telling the BBC we would have a manager within 8 days.
It's to specific for conversations not to have been had.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 16:01:08 »

Power, Evans and Boston all mentioned in the same sentence.

I'm starting to think this might not be such a good idea. Evans is the sort of thing we need on the playing front, but....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 16:02:02 »

Quote from: Flashheart

quite.

It's either a genuine attempt by Power to get someone who can take us up (leaving personal opinions of the bloke aside).

or it's a complete sham to try and fool us all into thinking he's tired to get someone but had to go in another direction....

the latter would be foolish imo. We'll soon see.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 16:03:23 »

We need Steve Evans to nip this in the bud whatever he wants to do.

What we don't need is for this to rumble on.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: