Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 360002 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:03:40 »

We are in the bottom tier of English football, so can understand their comments to be honest.

We have a lot of potential though, whereas he's pretty much achieved all he can there in his three or whatever seasons he's been there.

The more they belittle us though the more I want him Smiley
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:09:22 by Ginginho » Logged
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:06:11 »

Just the usual football fan talk.

They probably know as much about Swindon as most of us do about Partick Thistle. They play in red and yellow...my knowledge ends there.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:07:17 »

I hadn't realised just how tin pot Scottish football is outside the top two in terms of attendances. is this right (not full session, but about these levels?)

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #288 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:10:35 »

I hadn't realised just how tin pot Scottish football is outside the top two in terms of attendances. is this right (not full session, but about these levels?)

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm
Yep attendances have dropped off a lot in the last 10 years or so, not that it was that high anyway, our average attendance this season would have put us in the top 6 supported clubs in Scotland.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:28:58 »

I'm not offended by the sentiments of the Patrick supporters because they have a point and we'd be the same. However, they are neglecting things that we've seen it time and time again:

- Plenty of examples of footballers playing for middle/lower level Scottish Prem sides who have moved to L1/L2.

- Plenty of examples of footballers playing for middle/lower level FL sides who have moved to the Scottish Prem.

- Plenty of examples of managers of overachieving Scottish Prem sides who have moved to L1/L2 sides.

All with varying success.

Aberdeen, the second best side in Scotland, is full of players who L1/L2 experience (Joe Lewis, Shay Logan, Niall McGinn, Ash Taylor, Adam Rooney, Jonny Hayes, Anthony O'Connor, Jayden Stockley, Miles Storey...) - again, all with varying success.

My main point is that Archibald/Partick Thistle to Swindon Town isn't as unrealistic as they may think.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:57:42 by Costanza » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #290 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:41:22 »

I think it is a possible appointment in all honesty, Robbie Neilson left Hearts for MKD a few months back with Hearts much higher in the table than Thistle, 4th in the Prem at the time IIRC.

Even in L2 we will probably have a higher budget than a mid table Scots Prem team averaging just over half our average attendance.

If he comes and does well he will be in the spotlight more in England than in Scotland improving his profile....look at Di Canio, the press were all over him like a rash when he did well with us.

He could also be another version of Maurice Malpas...the comparisons are inevitable thats natural.

There are of course many minus points for us as well as him but I think the plus points would be more for him than the minus points.....also we have much better weather Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:47:10 »

Does the chippy opposite the fire station do deep fried creme eggs at Easter? That could be a crucial deciding factor
Panda Paws

« Reply #292 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 09:56:57 »

We are a step up from Partick Thistle because, as someone else said, history suggests we're at the bottom of our curve, and they're right at the top of theirs. Also, we'll pay way more.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:23:04 »

Yep attendances have dropped off a lot in the last 10 years or so, not that it was that high anyway, our average attendance this season would have put us in the top 6 supported clubs in Scotland.
We should apply to join the SPL as McSwindon. We could have derby games in Europe against Waterford.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:25:34 »

We are a step up from Partick Thistle because, as someone else said, history suggests we're at the bottom of our curve, and they're right at the top of theirs. Also, we'll pay way more.

I'm not wholly convinced we are at the bottom of our curve. 

There's an argument to be had about whether the mid 1950's... where back to back applications for re-election were played out against a decline in the Works, and a very slow recovery in the town's infrastructure from post war austerity, would have kept league status with the present pyramid set up.

I would suggest that there are similarities, namely the town's infrastructure is struggling to adjust to post 08 crash Tory austerity, and the overall sense of civic decline due to a low wage economy means the FC feels the pinch like in the 50's.
Panda Paws

« Reply #295 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:27:58 »

I'm not wholly convinced we are at the bottom of our curve. 

There's an argument to be had about whether the mid 1950's... where back to back applications for re-election were played out against a decline in the Works, and a very slow recovery in the town's infrastructure from post war austerity, would have kept league status with the present pyramid set up.

I would suggest that there are similarities, namely the town's infrastructure is struggling to adjust to post 08 crash Tory austerity, and the overall sense of civic decline due to a low wage economy means the FC feels the pinch like in the 50's.

Recent, relevant history would suggest we are. Can we plummet... of course, but evidence suggests we should sustain and recover so long as the ownership doesn't go completely south (and I'm talking Orient, Coventry levels of no ground, players not being paid etc, not just some of our fans have a whinge).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:42:09 »

Recent, relevant history would suggest we are. Can we plummet... of course, but evidence suggests we should sustain and recover so long as the ownership doesn't go completely south (and I'm talking Orient, Coventry levels of no ground, players not being paid etc, not just some of our fans have a whinge).

You make fair points, there should be other places in Div 4, more socially and economically disadvantaged than Swindon....but then again there were in Div 3 and that made no difference.
Chrystovski

« Reply #297 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:47:40 »

Change in philosophy?!

FOOTBALL : @Official_STFC owner Lee Power tells @BBCWiltshire new boss will be given budget & have 100% responsibility for recruitment #stfc

I still think having a young squad is the right strategy, you just need to mix it up with 3-4 seasoned pro's/wise heads.

The squad PDC built in our promotion season was still quite young/raw.

Caddis, Foderingham, Flint, Ferry, Ritchie, De Vita, J.Smith were all regulars and all were in the 24 & under bracket (I think)  but we mixed it up with a bit of experience in Alan Mac, Benson & Connell.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:48:49 »

We should apply to join the SPL as McSwindon. We could have derby games in Europe against Waterford.

Er...  Red Bull Leipzig, are going to have a legal punch up with UEFA, because Red Bull Salzburg in Austria have already sealed a Euro spot.  UEFA's rules are that clubs from different countries with the same owners can't compete in their comps.

Typical fucking Power, when he gets us to Europe... no doubt Waterford will get the slot.  Or maybe he's no intention of getting us there  Hmmm
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Thursday, May 11, 2017, 11:12:24 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39882884

most important bit: They hope to make an appointment within the next eight days.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: