Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 127   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 361078 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #120 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:30:29 »

Incidentally do we think the search "is well under way" means they have someone in mind, or  just generic babble?

can see it being Chris bloody Ramsay to be honest.

The search started with Sherwood going through thier mobile phone contacts and randomly ringing them to see if they would be interested.....

Tim "Sorry Brendan I forgot you got a job in Jockoland"
Tim "Rambo hows it hanging? fancy a challenge?"
Tim "Adi...... wassup!"
Tim "Oi oi Sherwood....hows it hanging? oh its gone straight to answer phone....oh wait I got a voice message"

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:35:44 »

If we don't get a 'big' name, I guarantee some of our fans will moan. It will be Power this, power that. Blah blah blah.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:36:57 »

Quote from: Sippo
If we don't get a 'big' name, I guarantee some of our fans will moan. It will be Power this, power that. Blah blah blah.
that's going to happen whoever we get .
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:38:11 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
Tim "Oi oi Sherwood....hows it hanging? oh its gone straight to answer phone....oh wait I got a voice message"

hahaha, that made me chuckle Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:44:28 »

'Cheap option' seems to be the new 'what about the Ajose money' in terms of it basically meaning 'I'm not going to debate this properly, I'm just going to growl and repeat this phrase"

Well unless something very strange happens cheap option is what it will be.

Back in the 80's when we finished in a lowly position in Div 4, a sponsor Lowndes Lambert, an insurer with offices in Swindon came in with the specific deal, that they would ring fence money to pay for a name player/manager..... nothing else. We got Lou Macari...as he said later one of the things which attracted him was that STFC, should be a bit higher in the pyramid, so some kind of success on the CV would be achievable.

Subsequently all our Div 4 managers, Wise/Poyet; Sturrock; PdC, have like Macari left for clubs higher up the food chain.

All well and good, but here's the rub, on each occasion money was thrown at it, which we didn't really have.  The present situation is more like the pre Macari days of John Trollope and Ken Beamish, going nowhere with the cheap option.

Michael Doughty player/manager
Peter Venkman

« Reply #125 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:47:21 »

TBH I would love JFH but I don't think he would come down to us or work with such a tight model as enforced by Power.

Jackett is another big name ex manager but again would he work with such tight constraints?

It also depends on how eager these men are to return to management and at such a low level as L2.

I know Sonic often mentions Scott Parker but he could be a good shout, ex international player, out of contract at Fulham in July, fairly intelligent, not sure he wants to be a manager though and don't know if hes taken his coaching badges....possible though.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 09:52:53 »

He has indeed
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/21/scott-parker-management-st-georges-park-coaching-fulham
Peter Venkman

« Reply #127 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:00:24 »

Not beyond the realms of possibility then.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:04:19 »

Not beyond the realms of possibility then.

If you were a bright ambitious wannabe gaffer, would you want to work for Power?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #129 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:11:19 »

If you were a bright ambitious wannabe gaffer, would you want to work for Power?
TBF to Power he can come accross well in interviews, he says all the right things almost all the time.

It could be the first time that Parker would have met him during the interview process (if indeed he did apply) and may not know about Power at all and have no preconcieved ideas about him...in which case he could well be impressed by Power as he can talk the talk.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:15:04 »

I expect he'd want to stay in London anyway, Fulham would likely offer him a coaching role so unless he has an incredibly strong desire to cut his teeth in management down the M4 in League 2 it's a long shot. Still the type we should be looking at, if not necessarily Parker.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #131 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:24:56 »

I think you are probably right about him wanting to stay close to his young family.

As you say somebody like him would be my choice too....ex international level player with Premiership experience at several clubs under many managers, well educated, done his coaching badges or some of them already and coming to the end of their career....a combination that worked so well in the past at Swindon with Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle and to a lesser extent MacMahon.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 10:50:23 »

Adi Viveash leaving Chelsea.....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 15:03:58 »

Steven Pressley would be a good punt.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 16:45:18 »

I think you are probably right about him wanting to stay close to his young family.

London -> Swindon is hardly Iolcus -> Colchis.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 127   Go Up
Print
Jump to: