Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28647 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 14:06:30 »

Like I have said previously, the January signings were pretty good apart for Feruz.

And Colkett, Gladwin (1) and Starkey (2) and Jones (3)

Conroy Dabo and Ince were good and Ajose should have been good (4)

1. Not what we needed for a relegation battle. Goes missing/inexperienced/technical and lazy/technical types in a relegation battle, brilliant. I could see the logic in Gladwin (with Doughty off) to be fair - until the other loans came in, then it made no sense
2. Not used in the relegation battle
3. Jones was OK but got himself excluded
4. Not utilised correctly positionally or tactically
--

If Power changes and it gets better then great. But you can see why people are a little concerned given his MO of buy late and shite punts in summer/hope to turn it around in January.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 14:10:58 »

Jones was signed at the start of the season though wasn't he?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 14:13:40 »

oh yeah, you are right.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:00:14 »

Getting good players doesnt unfortunately guarantee anything especially when the coach has a tendency to reduce players'effectiveness.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:05:54 »

And I would argue that Colkett is a good player, just not what we needed.  We needed battlers that can pass, not passers that can't battle.  A little more Ince, a little less Colkett.

Edit:  I just read your post again, and you do cover this...  My bad!!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:14:18 »

yeah, good players and good loans aren't necessarily the same thing.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:18:46 »

Agree

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:24:10 »

And I would argue that Colkett is a good player, just not what we needed.  We needed battlers that can pass, not passers that can't battle.  A little more Ince, a little less Colkett.

Edit:  I just read your post again, and you do cover this...  My bad!!

Nor do we need battlers that can't pass though. Something it seems at times many of our fans would prefer. The key, and expense in recruiting, is having both.

I would say though that during the couple of years challenging for the playoffs and getting to the final we did have the odd battler, L Thompson springs to mind, but we had more passers than battlers. The difference was the quality of passers we had was probably beyond what we should have had in league one and we got away with it as a result. The last couple of years the quality has been shit and so we have been exposed.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:27:06 »

If we sign the correct players, and have a good pre-season who knows...

No shit captain obvious. Can say the same thing about any team

Power has realised his mistakes, so hopefully he will have something in the pipeline..

Like I have said previously, the January signings were pretty good apart for Feruz.

Already gone over this, our form in the 16 games pre the January signs and the 16 games post the January signing our form was exactly the same.
So they had no positive impact on results what so ever, so why do you hink they were 'pretty good'
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 19:53:11 »

Ince and Conroy improved the team. It wasn't enough to make a difference to the results cos everyone else was shitter.

Colkett is clearly a talented player but will probably not make it as a pro as he's a self important egotistical lazy showboater who doesn't look up when he passes or tries to tackle ever
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 00:57:56 »

Colkett would make a great 5 a side player but that's his limit.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 08:13:01 »

Colkett has got something, and in the right balanced side could be an asset. Every time i watched him though he seemed to play too deep. Somebody with that ability should have been playing somewhere between midfield and the forwards, not necessarily number 10, but certainly not between midfield and defense which is too often where he seemed to play and try and hit Hollywood balls all the time.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 08:56:00 »

Colkett looks like he has the potential to be a decent player; he also has the potential to join the ever-growing list of talented "nearly were"s released from Prem Youth teams that are always kicking around non-league. Up to him how he applies himself. Whatever his merits/demerits though, he was clearly the wrong player for us at the time.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 11:42:11 »

... our form in the 16 games pre the January signs and the 16 games post the January signing our form was exactly the same. So they had no positive impact on results what so ever, so why do you hink they were 'pretty good'
fair point DV - but I would surmise that all the players were increasingly undermined by an incremental loss of morale and confidence as the season evolved.  Ince brought a massive improvement and Ajose could have done.  Improved or not, the squad was (just) good enough to avoid relegation.

Imagine a class of average-ability but under-achieving kids.   Their teacher knows his subject but cannot engender order or ambition.  A turnaround needs to be effected before exams even though standards aren't especially high this year.  The head demotes the classroom teacher to classroom assistant and brings in quite a well-known outsider from London to take overall charge of the class, leaving the demoted classroom assistant to carry on with lighter duties suited to his abilities.  The kids fear they may have to work more but are looking forward to the London touch (effin' mugs).

The new class teacher however prefers the golf course and rarely turns up.  The Head explains after a while, other than the new Classroom teacher buying a few books, that it is the demoted classroom assistant who remains in charge as before.  The kids learn that the flash new teacher wasn't actually being paid for his new role anyway.  Although a handful of pupils try their best, class discipline evaporates completely.  They realise their exams are fucked and most of them will be moved to a new school next term anyway where they can "re-sit" with better support.

The Headmaster, who has private means and spends most of his time in Switzerland can only rarely actually visit his  school. He is a tough cookie and he doesn't really care about the moany parents.  There will be a cut in government funding next year.  This will inevitably engender a further fall in standards at this once modest but happy little school and it may have to close.  His only true concern however is that he will not lose out financially and anyway, he has started with a new blank canvas of a school in Ireland so can be out of it easily enough.

The pupils at the UK school next year aren't likely to be even "average".  He will just have to stick with the hapless classroom assistant.  The classroom teacher role at the school has become a bit of a laughing stock in the profession and anyway there is no money and he is buggered if he will seek any investment. If the whinging parents are so unhappy with the lack of management and value the school's history and future as much as they say, they can take it over themselves.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 11:44:24 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: