Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holiday Season  (Read 64130 times)
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #210 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:04:03 »

Live web cam of a beach in Koh Pahngan

Are you still under those horrible travel restrictions, or reporting rules, whatever it was?
Flashheart

« Reply #211 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:06:15 »

Are you still under those horrible travel restrictions, or reporting rules, whatever it was?

Funny you should ask now as they officially lifted them today. Although, in reality, they gave up on it long ago.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #212 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:17:00 »

Funny you should ask now as they officially lifted them today. Although, in reality, they gave up on it long ago.

I don't keep up with it, but I haven't noticed anyone complaining about it for a while. Now I know why! I thought maybe everyone had left for Vietnam. Seems to be popular at the minute.

I made it to Koh Samet a while back btw. Very nice, but now the wife wants to take her whole family.
Flashheart

« Reply #213 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:29:43 »

Samet is nice but the pollution was bad last time I was there. The local restauranteurs and hoteliers have a habit of taking their rubbish out to sea to dump it. They all then end up blaming each other when, surprise surprise, it comes back to shore again and tourists are swimming among plastic bags and nappies n shit. Do the locals learn? Do they fuck!

I bet it's dead lately. The Ruskies stopped coming in swarms ages ago when their currency through a wobbly. Then the Thais focused heavily on the Chinese, leaving a lot of the regulars feeling alienated. Now there's fuck all Chinese about because of the virus. It's the same story all over Thailand. It's dead, Jim.

A lot of expats are complaining that Pattaya has turned into little India. I reckon that'd be a good craic though myself.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:33:10 »

Portugal is nice. My mum lives out there. Some lovely little towns like Tavira, Quarteira. Little bit inland from the coast but lovely area. Nice restaurants and bars in both. Fly direct to Faro

Albufeira is ok, old town is better than the new town. Villamoura is expensive

We loved Lisbon, great city with loads to see and fantastic food and drink and the locals we found super friendly. The wife has a relation in Cascais so we got the train to the sea and had some fantastic seafood and wine. Would love to visit Porto, heard its even better than Lisbon.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 20:58:53 »

We loved Lisbon, great city with loads to see and fantastic food and drink and the locals we found super friendly. The wife has a relation in Cascais so we got the train to the sea and had some fantastic seafood and wine. Would love to visit Porto, heard its even better than Lisbon.

Mentioned Porto a page or two back. It really is a lovely place. I imagine it'd be right up your street.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 12:20:43 »

Is anyone brave enough to book a holiday in the coming months or are you waiting to see how long the current situation drags on for?

I usually go abroad for a week in June but am resigned to having to re-think my options, fortunately I haven’t booked anything yet.

This leads to me ask - any UK recommendations on where to go for a week or so? Can be coastal based, city or whatever really  Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 12:42:15 »

I'm supposed to be going on an Eastern European stag party (all paid for) in early May but the organisers are already figuring out if a UK Plan B is possible.

We didn't book anything abroad, seems daft at the moment, so we're off to Cornwall doing an Air BNB instead which we can postpone and rearrange if shit continues to hit the fan.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 19:25:00 by Costanza » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 12:48:01 »

Have you been to the west coast of Scotland?  Weather can be a lottery, but rainfall in May & June lower than later in the summer.  Stunning scenery, if that's your thing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 12:51:48 »

Is anyone brave enough to book a holiday in the coming months or are you waiting to see how long the current situation drags on for?

I'd be very cautious of doing so because many (all?) insurance companies have now suspended covering on coronavirus related  cancellations.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 13:19:50 »

Your best bet is to just keep looking and watching prices. If you have nominal commitments (ie no kids/people/pets to look after) and are flexible, you could be in for lots of very good deals if you're prepared to wait last minute. Normally you would get good deals but I'm certain you'll get a lot once the panic button mode is in deceleration and the industry(ies) look to recoup.

A good tip would be to book off/schedule the time you roughly would go away anyway, if travel or flying is still limited then, there will still be some UK based bargains to be had. All of that industry will be looking for any bookings they can. Even a direct phone call to a b&b/hotel/tour operator will likely put you in a position of negotiating power and you won't pay what it advertised. If they won't budge (highly likely they will), try the next place. One of them will as they will rather make something week to week rather than nothing for "x" weeks.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 15:10:14 »

Have a week booked Devon 20th april and 2 weeks Lanzerote near end of June.
TUI refunding holidays cancelled currently so am sure will be refunded if mine cancelled.
Devon one might be touch and go depends on what the government do between now and then.

Wait and see I guess

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 15:15:22 »

My brother's family have had their family holiday to Cyprus at Easter cancelled. Now looking to go later in the year.
china red

« Reply #223 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:51:01 »

Due to go to Egypt on 3rd of April, hoping it gets cancelled so that we can go later in the year, don't fancy the Egyptian medical system if we were to get ill.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, March 15, 2020, 18:34:56 »

Have you been to the west coast of Scotland?  Weather can be a lottery, but rainfall in May & June lower than later in the summer.  Stunning scenery, if that's your thing.
I haven’t but have always heard good things from those who have been so definitely one to consider. Cheers  Smiley

Your best bet is to just keep looking and watching prices. If you have nominal commitments (ie no kids/people/pets to look after) and are flexible, you could be in for lots of very good deals if you're prepared to wait last minute. Normally you would get good deals but I'm certain you'll get a lot once the panic button mode is in deceleration and the industry(ies) look to recoup.

A good tip would be to book off/schedule the time you roughly would go away anyway, if travel or flying is still limited then, there will still be some UK based bargains to be had. All of that industry will be looking for any bookings they can. Even a direct phone call to a b&b/hotel/tour operator will likely put you in a position of negotiating power and you won't pay what it advertised. If they won't budge (highly likely they will), try the next place. One of them will as they will rather make something week to week rather than nothing for "x" weeks.
All good advice, nice one Bamboo. Let’s just keep fingers crossed for some normality to return sooner rather than later, no football is bad enough, couple that with no holidays abroad and my sanity is being tested!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: