Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holiday Season  (Read 64132 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 19:36:48 »

That sounds so wrong.

At least he didn’t say he was off to Tampa with the kids.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 19:37:53 »

Off to Costa Del Butlin’s first week June for Tots week.
Yeah, beat that!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 21:55:30 »

Came back from near four weeks in Vietnam yesterday. Beautiful, bonkers country. Would go back in a heartbeat

In not unrelated news, jet lag is a cunt

And fao flashheart - I did eat durian in the end. Was not as horrible as the smell (although it was very mushy, so I’m not sure I had some ripe fruit), but think I’ll gldly go without it in the future
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 21:57:52 by Bogus Dave » Logged

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 22:39:19 »

durian is fucking horrible!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 23:00:39 »

Hmmm 67 days would be nice :-0, more ike 7!  And Mother Brown, you have a sick mind :-)
Panda Paws

« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 10:30:22 »

Came back from near four weeks in Vietnam yesterday. Beautiful, bonkers country. Would go back in a heartbeat

In not unrelated news, jet lag is a cunt

And fao flashheart - I did eat durian in the end. Was not as horrible as the smell (although it was very mushy, so I’m not sure I had some ripe fruit), but think I’ll gldly go without it in the future

Off for 2.5 weeks in November - can't wait. Singapore-Hoi An-Phu Quoc-Ho Chi Minh.

Got a week sailing round the Ionian islands in July first though.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 10:53:13 »

Off for 2.5 weeks in November - can't wait. Singapore-Hoi An-Phu Quoc-Ho Chi Minh.

Got a week sailing round the Ionian islands in July first though.

We went to all of those (excluding Singapore)

Phu Quoc was very quiet, but we went in the low season, so kind of akin to going to Cornwall in April (albeit with 30 degree sunshine still)

Hoi An was my favourite place. The river at night lit up was one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen

Ho Chi Minh was hectic - the war museum was harrowing, but preferred Hanoi I think in terms of ‘big city’ experience

Panda Paws

« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:19:00 »

We went to all of those (excluding Singapore)

Phu Quoc was very quiet, but we went in the low season, so kind of akin to going to Cornwall in April (albeit with 30 degree sunshine still)

Hoi An was my favourite place. The river at night lit up was one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen

Ho Chi Minh was hectic - the war museum was harrowing, but preferred Hanoi I think in terms of ‘big city’ experience

I have very little knowledge or expectation currently - my missus has been before and a wanted to go back. Any more must-see tips or food tips would be welcome.

Phu Quoc seems to get mixed reviews but very much looking at that bit of the holiday as a classic bit of R & R so quiet and sunny works for me! Can't wait for Hoi An, everyone seems to love it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 16:25:07 by Panda Paws » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:19:59 »

Arrived back from 10 days in Turkey yesterday. Love the place, even though Side is for Germans as Costa Blanca is for Brits.

Feeling quite fortunate to have been able to have 3 holidays in the past 7 months (Disneyland Paris last year and a week in Cornwall in February). We were going to wait until next year before booking any further trips, but my old dear's booked up a family trip to Cape Verde in October and I couldn't really say no.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:28:52 »

Arrived back from 10 days in Turkey yesterday. Love the place, even though Side is for Germans as Costa Blanca is for Brits.

Feeling quite fortunate to have been able to have 3 holidays in the past 7 months (Disneyland Paris last year and a week in Cornwall in February). We were going to wait until next year before booking any further trips, but my old dear's booked up a family trip to Cape Verde in October and I couldn't really say no.

oooh I've never head of Side, it looks lovely.

We 'did an Audrey' and bought an apartment in Turkey 3 years ago so head over there 2 or 3 times a year (generally off season).

I've only been to Istanbul, Kusadasi and Bodrum but I see from the map Side is more East, past Antalya. Enough to see and do there?

The Lira is quite weak at the moment so you presumably got beers for about £2 ish? (on the presumption they are around 14 Lira which they were when we went over in April.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:55:31 »

We were staying at an all-inclusive place so didn't venture out much. The main town of Side is Greco Roman so there's a bit of history if that's your kind of thing, and the Taurus mountains are not far.

Outside of the hotels you mostly find clothing stores selling knock off designer gear. You don't get a lot of bars and restaurants in the tourist areas, I guess there just isn't the demand because most hotels are all-inclusive.

Because of the sheer amount of German tourists, most places price everything in Euros.

We're looking at going back to Turkey next May, this time we'll probably look more toward the west coast.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 12:53:50 »

We were staying at an all-inclusive place so didn't venture out much. The main town of Side is Greco Roman so there's a bit of history if that's your kind of thing, and the Taurus mountains are not far.

Outside of the hotels you mostly find clothing stores selling knock off designer gear. You don't get a lot of bars and restaurants in the tourist areas, I guess there just isn't the demand because most hotels are all-inclusive.

Because of the sheer amount of German tourists, most places price everything in Euros.

We're looking at going back to Turkey next May, this time we'll probably look more toward the west coast.

the knock off clothes shops are ten a penny in Turkey. I have bought some stuff to leave over there but the quality is generally less than bad (you aren't stupid so I am sure you know that!).

If you are looking west, Bodrum or Marmaris would be my tip.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 14:14:23 »

I have very knowledge or expectation currently - my missus has been before and a wanted to go back. Any more must-see tips or food tips would be welcome.

Phu Quoc seems to get mixed reviews but very much looking at that bit of the holiday as a classic bit of R & R so quiet and sunny works for me! Can't wait for Hoi An, everyone seems to love it.

There’s a restaurant in Hoi An called nu, which was the best food I had in the whole country. Would heartily recommend

If you have time in Saigon go to a water puppet show - we went to one in Hanoi and although I had no idea what was happening (it was all in Vietnamese) it was bizarre and entertaining. A different vibe, but would also deffo recommend the war remnants museum for a (brutal) Vietnamese view of the ‘war of American aggression’

One thing I would say about Phu Quoc would be to be wary of starfish beach if recommended it - promises of golden sands and starfishes, reality is a dirty littered beach with SE Asian tourists taking starfish out the water and leaving them there

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 14:17:41 »

Oh, and download an app called grab - essentially Vietnamese Uber - if you’re anything like me and can’t be doing long walks around the city in the midday sun, you can get a grab-cab for about £1

brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 18:43:59 »

Spending some time in Washington and just seen a man set fire to himself in the White House Park. Thought it was a stunt but within seconds the area was full of secret service police including a helicopter and extinguished the flames as the guy collapsed on the ground. Won’t forget this trip in a hurry. We were thinking of going to watch DC United tonight but might give it a miss and watch in the local bar instead
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: