Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holiday Season  (Read 64128 times)
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 23:50:05 »

Yep already got tickets thanks! Also going to see the Nashville Sounds (for $19), will be my first minor league game so looking forward to it. Haha same thing has happened to me I went to a Padres game in the middle of July (daytime midweek so we got very good seats) slightly hungover and had 10,000+ holiday camp kids screaming for the entire 3 hours! Do you follow a team or just enjoy the game?

Had tickets for the Cubs a few years ago - rained off that day in April, previous season none of their 190 games ( or whatever it is these days) were rained off. So going to Wrigley became a bit of a bucket list thing, finally made it last year plus it's one of my favourite cities - ride the L to the stadium, beers in Wrigleyville, game, blues bar in town. What's not to like? So 'my' team. And world champs too - game 7 of the World Series was genuine sporting theatre, watch it if you've never seen it.

Like the Phillies too cos a kid of mine went to U Penn. Seen a few other majors, a few Midwest Single A clubs (think div 4) and don't forget the Independent Leagues - the Evansville Otters (Frontier League) aren't too far from Nashville.

Check out the Minor League website, loads of info there. I just love the whole experience. Like others, I grew up listening to AFN radio from Germany which you could just pick up once the sun went down on their powerful medium wave signal. It was like listening to a magical world. Didn't understand the details of baseball, but listening to a live description coming from, say, New York was addictive in our black and white Swindon lives.

Enjoy the trip, have a footlong for me!

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 12:34:46 »

Anybody ever used any of the non airline lounges  at Gatwick ? Any recommendations ?

Off to Florida, flying with Thomson and fancy getting away from the masses.

Cheers 
Panda Paws

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 13:11:29 »

We've used the £25 quids before. They're great - unlimited booze, food and peace and quiet. You'd rack that up on a shit burger, a pint and paying for half-decent wifi.

We're using the Clubroom on No1 Lounges next month - £40 but even nicer, and fast-track security too.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 13:17:56 »

Anybody ever used any of the non airline lounges  at Gatwick ? Any recommendations ?

Cheers 

We've booked mylounge at Gatwick South. With the kids it makes sense. Only nibbles to eat but they have a games room. £55 for 2 adults, 2 kids. We'd pay that for a meal. Wetherspoons is £5 a pint anyway...easily drink that in 3 hours...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 13:20:08 »

Had tickets for the Cubs a few years ago - rained off that day in April, previous season none of their 190 games ( or whatever it is these days) were rained off. So going to Wrigley became a bit of a bucket list thing, finally made it last year plus it's one of my favourite cities - ride the L to the stadium, beers in Wrigleyville, game, blues bar in town. What's not to like? So 'my' team. And world champs too - game 7 of the World Series was genuine sporting theatre, watch it if you've never seen it.

Like the Phillies too cos a kid of mine went to U Penn. Seen a few other majors, a few Midwest Single A clubs (think div 4) and don't forget the Independent Leagues - the Evansville Otters (Frontier League) aren't too far from Nashville.

Check out the Minor League website, loads of info there. I just love the whole experience. Like others, I grew up listening to AFN radio from Germany which you could just pick up once the sun went down on their powerful medium wave signal. It was like listening to a magical world. Didn't understand the details of baseball, but listening to a live description coming from, say, New York was addictive in our black and white Swindon lives.

Enjoy the trip, have a footlong for me!

Phillies fan here too. MLB infuriates me because it pretty much pot luck what the game will be like. I've been to games where i've sat for 3-4 hours and seen 2 runs and ive been to games and seen home runs, grand slams ahoy.

Don't know if you saw but just the other day, Yankees and Cubs were 4-4 at the 9th inning ans for those who don't know, if its a draw after the 9th its sudden death until there is a winner.
It took to the 18th inning for the Yankees to score the winning run. Fuck that
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 13:20:24 »

Also if you book through Holiday Extra's there are many discount codes out there.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 14:12:57 »

If anyone needs access to airport lounge my mate might be able to help out with this

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 15:10:33 »

Cheers 

Used No1 Lounge last month, well worth the cost - basic hot food offering, free nibbles, free booze after you pay the entrance fee.  Way more civilized than the masses out in the departure scrum.  Do the same in all airports now, even the ServiceAir ones, which are cheaper and don't do hot food are worth it - especially if you like the odd tipple to smooth the flying process.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 15:11:51 »

Oh, and sign-up tie Virgin Atlantics' flying club and they give you a discount on No1 Lounges when you pre-book, you don't need any miles (in fact, I think they may even give you some miles for booking the lounge first time).
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 15:23:48 »

Is the posh lounge at Cardiff any good ?

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 20:32:08 »

Cheers everyone
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 22:58:04 »

Phillies fan here too. MLB infuriates me because it pretty much pot luck what the game will be like. I've been to games where i've sat for 3-4 hours and seen 2 runs and ive been to games and seen home runs, grand slams ahoy.

Don't know if you saw but just the other day, Yankees and Cubs were 4-4 at the 9th inning ans for those who don't know, if its a draw after the 9th its sudden death until there is a winner.
It took to the 18th inning for the Yankees to score the winning run. Fuck that

First big league game I saw live was 1-0 Phillies, which as you know is the lowest score poss. Couple of base hits and, er, that was it.

I watched the Cubs / Yankees on TV, fell asleep during the 14th inning, woke up and it was still going on in the 17th. Yawn.

It can be as much fun watching a game in a bar, esp if the local team is a perpetual no-hoper. Same sense of resigned humour as watching the Town, except with several extra noughts on the wasted money aspect.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 15:07:54 »

Cheers 

As we travel quite a lot, we have a Priority Pass and so use the lounge almost always when travelling. As others have said, its definitely worth it, bearing in mind how expensive eating and drinking at airports are. If you have a couple of hours in your lounge you easily get your moneys worth and more.

The Turkish Airlines lounge at Istanbul airport has the best lounge I have ever been to, on two floors, one which includes a scalextric track and one of those golf simulator things.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, June 25, 2017, 17:33:51 »

Ok, as previously mentioned, I'm being made redundant, well I've volunteered so it's my choice. However, managing to get some extra bunce has given me the opportunity to take my 13 YO son away for a week to ten says before our main gig in Florida. So who amongst you can suggest a half decent place for the two of us to do some bonding? Bit of beach & pool time with other persuits to do like interesting sight seeing and some sporting activities? Any constructive suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, July 27, 2017, 15:37:11 »

In Lanza now. Day 4. Windy, but lovely. Hotel is superb- thanks to Paul for the recommendation. 'Free' Amstel on draught.

Mylounge at Gatwick north also very good, worth every penny.

Only annoying thing.... Brits abroad. Rude, arrogant to staff and waste so much food. Yes, you are AI but have a bit of respect.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: