Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holiday Season  (Read 64120 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 19:17:30 »

I'm off to Venice next week for a few days. Never been but heard good things.

Venice is great, although during the day San Marco is overwhelmed with tourists even outside the normal season. If you're staying a few days then it's much quieter at night. Largely avoid the restaurants right near Rialto Bridge bridge - they try to rip you off big time

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 19:33:06 »

Where did you go? I really liked it there, it's got a bit of everything, is easy to get around and not too crowded.

A couple days in Colombo, a couple in Kandy and Elle and the tea country, then we went to the south coast to Yala national park. Spent a 5 days in mirissa and then finished in Galle

I really enjoyed it. It was my first time in anywhere in Asia but I get the sense it's not the biggest culture shock possible, despite some local quirks. Curry for breakfast everyday got a bit tiresome in the end!!

Things get better but they never get good
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 19:34:13 »

SF, Denver, Chicago and Toronto, watching baseball in August.

Amir

« Reply #48 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 20:38:14 »

A couple days in Colombo, a couple in Kandy and Elle and the tea country, then we went to the south coast to Yala national park. Spent a 5 days in mirissa and then finished in Galle

I really enjoyed it. It was my first time in anywhere in Asia but I get the sense it's not the biggest culture shock possible, despite some local quirks. Curry for breakfast everyday got a bit tiresome in the end!!

Yeah, India it's not Smiley

Pretty much the same as me, although we turned back before Yala as we had a wedding to go to near Colombo. After that went to Kandy, Elle, Sigiriya. Beaches, wildlife, culture, history, hills. Can't complain.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 20:48:34 »

Turkey in May, Amsterdam in July, Naples in August and Florida in October.

Turkey in August, loads of "travel agent" or "security intelligence operatives" friends saying stay away big trouble brewing. Where are you going Bob? We're Antalya. Being honest the close proximity to Syria does play on my mind. I'll ask yoyoafter youre break about late May how it was and what issues you had if you don't mind.
TiA
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 12:55:28 »

Turkey in August, loads of "travel agent" or "security intelligence operatives" friends saying stay away big trouble brewing. Where are you going Bob? We're Antalya. Being honest the close proximity to Syria does play on my mind. I'll ask yoyoafter youre break about late May how it was and what issues you had if you don't mind.
TiA

Hi skip...

We own an apartment in Turkey and we have personally experienced no issues with the country. Clearly its a bit of an unknown currently but we are friends with a number of ex-pats who live and work and will not be leaving anytime soon.

Of course, there is an unknown situation there and nobody knows what the hell Erdogan is going to do. Personally I have no issues going, as my opinion is that something nasty could happen ANYWHERE in the world.

We are going this weekend for 10 days and so I will let you know what the feeling is and if that has changed since the last time we were there.

We are going to Kusadasi which is 400 km north west of Antalya so its hard for me to give any advice but you should of course be cautious.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 20:09:54 »

Which baseball team are you off to see? I'm off to see the Red Sox against the Blue Jays in July. As well as fitting in a couple of days in New York and Nashville (for July 4th).
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 08:09:56 »

Hi skip...

We own an apartment in Turkey and we have personally experienced no issues with the country. Clearly its a bit of an unknown currently but we are friends with a number of ex-pats who live and work and will not be leaving anytime soon.

Of course, there is an unknown situation there and nobody knows what the hell Erdogan is going to do. Personally I have no issues going, as my opinion is that something nasty could happen ANYWHERE in the world.

We are going this weekend for 10 days and so I will let you know what the feeling is and if that has changed since the last time we were there.

We are going to Kusadasi which is 400 km north west of Antalya so its hard for me to give any advice but you should of course be cautious.

Thanks Bob.
I was fully aware of the risks when booking if but the same family holiday to Spain was 3K dearer. I won't be going on many excursions.
Enjoy your break & stay safe.
Thanks again
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 11:34:07 »

Thanks Bob.
I was fully aware of the risks when booking if but the same family holiday to Spain was 3K dearer. I won't be going on many excursions.
Enjoy your break & stay safe.
Thanks again

It is a really sad state of affairs that we should be having these conversations isn't it?

Thanks a lot for the best wishes, its really sad to see as we love Turkey and I personally think its a wonderful holiday destination with interesting history and culture. I really hope it won't be ruined.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 11:34:14 »

Sure you know this already, but the Cubs tend to sell out so worth booking tickets in advance. It ain't cheap! They don't seem to promote it, but a couple of times last year (Cubs and the Cards v Cubs 'local' derby in St L) we bought standing tickets at the gate for $10/$15. Bargain, esp if you can find an empty seat or 2 - midweek daytime matches best because some season ticket holders can't come to the games then, so plenty of spare seats.

If you've never been, try and get to a Minor League match or 2. Some great stadiums, cheap to get in, friendly people in my experience. Just don't choose 'Scouts go free' night - 8,000 screaming kids getting high on sugar drinks and processed meat products = nightmare.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 11:46:51 »

My brother goes to Turkey (Antalya)every year. Was out there in November and said it was absolutely fine.
Must admit i wouldn't fancy it myself though
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 12:30:12 »

My brother goes to Turkey (Antalya)every year. Was out there in November and said it was absolutely fine.
Must admit i wouldn't fancy it myself though

I won't lie to you, i have my concerns but as Bob said a terror attack can happen anywhere.
It is a shame what is happening in the world, politics devides families like religion dominates and divides countries.
I only want to enjoy some sun and a few ales, safely!!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 12:35:02 »

I won't lie to you, i have my concerns but as Bob said a terror attack can happen anywhere.
It is a shame what is happening in the world, politics devides families like religion dominates and divides countries.
I only want to enjoy some sun and a few ales, safely!!

Efes is a lovely cold beer. I hope things remain calm and you get your holiday mate.

skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 13:42:05 »

Efes is a lovely cold beer. I hope things remain calm and you get your holiday mate.

Love Efes, local Lebanese restaurant near me sells it.
Fingers crossed there are no restrictions on travel put in place.
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 15:09:10 »

Sure you know this already, but the Cubs tend to sell out so worth booking tickets in advance. It ain't cheap! They don't seem to promote it, but a couple of times last year (Cubs and the Cards v Cubs 'local' derby in St L) we bought standing tickets at the gate for $10/$15. Bargain, esp if you can find an empty seat or 2 - midweek daytime matches best because some season ticket holders can't come to the games then, so plenty of spare seats.

If you've never been, try and get to a Minor League match or 2. Some great stadiums, cheap to get in, friendly people in my experience. Just don't choose 'Scouts go free' night - 8,000 screaming kids getting high on sugar drinks and processed meat products = nightmare.

Yep already got tickets thanks! Also going to see the Nashville Sounds (for $19), will be my first minor league game so looking forward to it. Haha same thing has happened to me I went to a Padres game in the middle of July (daytime midweek so we got very good seats) slightly hungover and had 10,000+ holiday camp kids screaming for the entire 3 hours! Do you follow a team or just enjoy the game?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: