Poll
Question: Which Party Will You Be Voting For?
Conservative - 54 (30.5%)
Labour - 63 (35.6%)
Liberal Democrat - 29 (16.4%)
UKIP - 6 (3.4%)
Green - 5 (2.8%)
SNP - 0 (0%)
Plaid Cymru - 0 (0%)
Other - 2 (1.1%)
Not Voting - 9 (5.1%)
Spoiled Ballot - 9 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 153

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: General Election - Who's Getting Your Vote?  (Read 195803 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1020 on: Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 22:02:07 »

I say scrap the whole benefits and tax free earnings system and implement Universal Basic Income. Hard to feel hard done by when everyone gets the exact same benefits. It also solves the problem of people on benefits not being able to take a job without losing their benefits, so even single days of work become easier and more profitable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

I'm a massive UBI backer. It is also then down to the individual if they build on that "allowance" or use it shrewdly. As you say this gives people more freedom to take temporary/sporadic work placements. Some may waste the "allowance" but many won't once you have to use it for things like rent/utilities/food/life etc. I also believe that people will become (ironically) more self reliant and it will be down to ourselves how much we want to succeed.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1021 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 10:15:09 »

She's found the magic money tree then?

She found it when she found c.£130m to pay for the pointless election, which would coincidentally pay the salaries of c.4500 nurses (it being a nurse she insulted with the original statement).
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1022 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 11:54:59 »

She found it when she found c.£130m to pay for the pointless election, which would coincidentally pay the salaries of c.4500 nurses (it being a nurse she insulted with the original statement).

I have a slightly different take on the £130m cost of the election.  The total basically works out at £2 for every man, woman & child in the UK - so for my family, it's cost less than a tenner.  For this relatively modest sum, we have achieved the emasculation of the Conservative Party and the sidelining of the right-wing faction (Davis, Johnson, Grayling etc.) that appeared to have taken over the Brexit process for the purpose of driving through their free-market, low regulation, low investment agenda that would (&, if we're not careful, still could) dominate the political agenda for decades.

I'd say that that was money well spent.  Best £10 I've spent all year.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1023 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 12:58:36 »

Sinn Fein meeting may at Downing Street tomorrow.

What a lovely old time it is

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1024 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 13:41:31 »

On the question of benefits, around 40% of the total benefits budget, which itself is a third of total govt spending, goes on pensions.  Things like fuel allowances are tweaking the fringes.  Anyone wanting to cut the benefits budget would need to focu on the cost of pensions and the only real way to do that is increase the age.  Given the rise in life expectancy it seems reasonable, but it would take a braved politician.

The Basic Income suggestion is an interesting one given the rapid rate of technology advancement and should probably now become a key focus of all parties.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1025 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:15:44 »

The state pension age has increased and is planned to be increased further. The government have been very explicit with this.

I fully expect it will keep creeping up.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1026 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:29:34 »

The state pension age has increased and is planned to be increased further. The government have been very explicit with this.

I fully expect it will keep creeping up.

Indeed it has. The idea being of course that you get plenty of notice and can prepare accordingly. However, I know a number of women their early 60's, who have been royally screwed over by the Tories and their chums in the LibDem coalition.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/09/women-pension-age-trap-40000-out-of-pocket
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1027 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:39:45 »

Indeed it has. The idea being of course that you get plenty of notice and can prepare accordingly. However, I know a number of women their early 60's, who have been royally screwed over by the Tories and their chums in the LibDem coalition.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/09/women-pension-age-trap-40000-out-of-pocket

The problem has been exasperated by poor communications of the Pensions Act 1995 by the then Tories and subsequent governments too
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1028 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:55:31 »

The problem has been exasperated by poor communications of the Pensions Act 1995 by the then Tories and subsequent governments too

However if you're on the receiving end it's a bugger. There should of course be equality of sexes, so it was only right that women's SPA should be raised to that of men.... it was never going the other way. 

Essentially, there used to be a compact between citizen and state in this country... brought about by the heroism and sacrifices of the 20th Century generations, and the acceptance by the ruling classes that they had some responsibilty, for ensuring this compact is maintained.  It's not completely lost....but looking increasingly fragile.
Blimp

« Reply #1029 on: Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:35:54 »

Well I guess we'll see in June.

Girl Giggle  Smug Fuck Off  Smug Fuck Off  Smug Fuck Off
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1030 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 09:58:47 »

Girl Giggle  Smug Fuck Off  Smug Fuck Off  Smug Fuck Off

Your point is...?

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1031 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 19:09:31 »

I was sad enough to go back and find the post quoted.

Did you sign back up just for that, The Saint?

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Flashheart

« Reply #1032 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 19:15:01 »

I was sad enough to go back and find the post quoted.

Especially sad considering you could have just clicked on the post link above the quote, which would have taken you there directly.  Wink
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1033 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 19:23:56 »

Especially sad considering you could have just clicked on the post link above the quote, which would have taken you there directly.  Wink

Well fuck my old boots. Top tip, that.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1034 on: Thursday, June 15, 2017, 19:59:09 »

Every day is a school day. Or "fuck my old boots" as one might say.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: