Poll
Question: Which Party Will You Be Voting For?
Conservative - 54 (30.5%)
Labour - 63 (35.6%)
Liberal Democrat - 29 (16.4%)
UKIP - 6 (3.4%)
Green - 5 (2.8%)
SNP - 0 (0%)
Plaid Cymru - 0 (0%)
Other - 2 (1.1%)
Not Voting - 9 (5.1%)
Spoiled Ballot - 9 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 153

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: General Election - Who's Getting Your Vote?  (Read 195832 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 08:49:48 »

This makes rather chilling reading for democracy in this country....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:37:05 »

As I did this yesterday for Labour, the Lib Dem manifesto has been launched today.

Key headlines are:

Tax
  • 1p on all income tax bands to go to the NHS directly
  • Legalise and tax cannabis to raise £1bn a year
  • Reverse reduction in corporation tax and higher threshold for inheritance tax and remove married persons tax allowance altogether

Spending
  • £7.5bn for education, focusing largely on early years e.g. tripling pupil premium
  • Reverse benefit freeze (actually going further the Labour here, it seems)
  • Government to build homes directly, targeting 300k new homes a year from private + govt housebuilding
  • Free home insulation for 4m homes to reduce energy bills/help the environment

Other
  • Second EU referendum on terms of final Brexit deal
  • Offer asylum to 50,000 Syrians and 3,000 unaccompanied children
  • Proportional representation in Westminster elections, votes for 16 & 17 year olds

Overall it's fairly close to Labour's effort, with a clearer (and remain-er) outlook on Europe and nothing on nationalisation. Oh, and (in my opinion anyway) better targeted spending of the increase in education.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 11:43:03 by Nemo » Logged
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:14:44 »

I watched BBC Breakfast this morning and was embarrassed for the stupidity of the presenter, who couldn't get her head around how the better paid would pay more income tax than those on a lesser salary under the Lib Dem's plan. The Lib Dem spokesman kept saying that it was 1p in the pound increase across the board, but she just couldn't get it. Cringing.

It's All Good..............
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 12:24:03 »

I watched BBC Breakfast this morning and was embarrassed for the stupidity of the presenter, who couldn't get her head around how the better paid would pay more income tax than those on a lesser salary under the Lib Dem's plan. The Lib Dem spokesman kept saying that it was 1p in the pound increase across the board, but she just couldn't get it. Cringing.

Its almost as bizarre as the fact (as the Tories have realised) very few of the population appear to have a clue what inflation actually means (or leads to)?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 15:00:50 »

Its almost as bizarre as the fact (as the Tories have realised) very few of the population appear to have a clue what inflation actually means (or leads to)?

Absolutely. What is inflation, except for when i've eaten too much...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 21:02:08 »

I watched BBC Breakfast this morning and was embarrassed for the stupidity of the presenter, who couldn't get her head around how the better paid would pay more income tax than those on a lesser salary under the Lib Dem's plan. The Lib cDem spokesman kept saying that it was 1p in the pound increase across the board, but she just couldn't get it. Cringing.

On the other hand, on BBC5 Live this morning, Rachel Burden gave Phil Hammond a right mauling (I'm guessing she was similar with McDonnell yesterday?).  It was most impressive listening as her voice quivered with emotion and anger - after all, who'd have thought that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be muddled and vague struggling through the difference between debt and deficit?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 06:19:59 »

Jeremy Hunt is on BBC Breakfast. What a smarmy cunt. I'm getting really fed up with listening to politicians side-stepping, or totally ignoring, questions put to them.

It's All Good..............

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 11:24:00 »

Check out @chunkymark on Twitter. He's great
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 11:54:16 »

This makes rather chilling reading for democracy in this country....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

The old adage of "don't believe what you read in newspapers" applies here, and applies in spades.  The referendum wasn't won by so-called "big data", especially with claims by Cummings and Matthew Elliot of Vote Leave who are trying to rewrite history yet have a long history of being less than candid about their use of data.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/11/vote-leave-campaign-wasn-t-clever-it-thinks-it-was

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86470

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 13:04:20 »

Although from the same magazine we get:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/10/arron-banks-man-who-bought-brexit

http://www.newstatesman.com/2017/03/populists-can-be-beaten-heres-how

which backs this view, with rather more substance than the "I tried it and it was shit" view of one man. Cummings may well be a bullshitter, no surprise there, just look at Farage, Johnson, Fox et al and it seems to be a requirement for being prominent in the Leave campaign. But nonetheless there is clearly if not an alliance, certainly a communion of interest between the US hard right figures behind Trump and the European/UK hard right populists, such as Banks and Farage over here. It's no surprise that they'd look to boost each other's intrerests by sharing tactics and resources. And a big part of that is manipulating public opinion via social media, Bannon and Mercer deployed it to great effect in the US, why wouldn't their allies and friends over here use the same?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Friday, May 19, 2017, 08:05:18 »

https://twitter.com/Tory__Jesus @Tory__Jesus
« Last Edit: Friday, May 19, 2017, 08:07:28 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Friday, May 19, 2017, 09:06:19 »

Anyone care to summarise the Tory manifesto?
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Friday, May 19, 2017, 09:15:40 »

* IMG_0327.JPG (22.86 KB, 226x282 - viewed 91 times.)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Friday, May 19, 2017, 09:23:23 »

Flashheart

« Reply #434 on: Friday, May 19, 2017, 21:13:38 »

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/05/19/video-will-facepalming-next-week/
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: