Poll
Question: Which Party Will You Be Voting For?
Conservative - 54 (30.5%)
Labour - 63 (35.6%)
Liberal Democrat - 29 (16.4%)
UKIP - 6 (3.4%)
Green - 5 (2.8%)
SNP - 0 (0%)
Plaid Cymru - 0 (0%)
Other - 2 (1.1%)
Not Voting - 9 (5.1%)
Spoiled Ballot - 9 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 153

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: General Election - Who's Getting Your Vote?  (Read 195792 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 11:24:41 »

Politician in getting the figures wrong shocker, whilst when you actually look at the breakdown of figures in the Labour press release they add up - strangely that bit is getting nearly zero reporting as is the massive drop in Officers since 2009 (just trying to recall who was the Home Sec in the majority of that period?).

It's reasonable to expect a shadow minister of a major office of state to be on top of her brief for an interview during a general election, especially as the Home Office is notorious for being difficult to run - it is dubbed "the graveyard of ministers". That Abbott was clearly out of her depth is not good enough.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 11:58:05 »

It's reasonable to expect a shadow minister of a major office of state to be on top of her brief for an interview during a general election, especially as the Home Office is notorious for being difficult to run - it is dubbed "the graveyard of ministers". That Abbott was clearly out of her depth is not good enough.

Quite so, however in determining this one also has to compare her with the present incumbent who is equally inept and lacking in briefing (see her wonderful performance regarding IT matters and encryption - where she seemed to think that just taking a flyer on random IT terms would suffice - plus Ms Abbott does not share Ms Rudd's very mucky business history).

One could also conclude that Mrs May is equally grossly out of her depth as evidenced by her refusal to speak to any members of the public and only journalists in a sterile (and often locked) environment, setting aside her obvious complete lack of briefing and understanding of the Brexit process?

Ultimately Abbott has only got promoted as she is a loyal supporter of the leader, however the manner in which the media are just concentrating on these peripheral issues and not challenging the government on their lack of a campaign bar 'vote for us we are not quite as shit as they are' (with the two points in their poster both being blatant spin/lies) and the chaotic state of the public finances is giving the government (which already has a free shot) an incredibly easy ride. 
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 12:42:04 »

One could also conclude that Mrs May is equally grossly out of her depth as evidenced by her refusal to speak to any members of the public and only journalists in a sterile (and often locked) environment, setting aside her obvious complete lack of briefing and understanding of the Brexit process?

I completely agree that Mrs May is out of depth regarding Brexit, her current actions worry me enormously as does the lack of effective opposition to hold her to account. We can conclude that Labour's inept abilities is made clear by May not even bothering to campaign properly - she doesn't need to.

The media - "the fourth estate" - has long abrogated its duty to hold the powerful to account, on both sides. This is after all the same media that right across the board reported that Cameron "vetoed an EU treaty" in 2011 when he clearly didn't. But that fiction is now part of historical record.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 12:43:56 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 13:39:21 »

I would like to see David Milliband return to Labour and politics, he has unfinished business after his dork brother was chosen instead of him. He spoke and came across so much better that it should never have been a choice, must have been monetary or in-politics I guess?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/04/im-an-ex-politician-david-miliband-dampens-talk-of-return

To say the least, I wish Tony Blair would be more quiet.

I recall the Millibands were decided by an in-party vote maybe, of more senior officials or MPs? Unlike Corbyn with the wider, almost public, vote. If that was the case then the same senior members now against Corbyn are probably also the fools who chose Ed over Dave.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 14:05:59 »

I would like to see David Milliband return to Labour and politics, he has unfinished business after his dork brother was chosen instead of him. He spoke and came across so much better that it should never have been a choice, must have been monetary or in-politics I guess?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/04/im-an-ex-politician-david-miliband-dampens-talk-of-return

I recall the Millibands were decided by an in-party vote maybe, of more senior officials or MPs? Unlike Corbyn with the wider, almost public, vote. If that was the case then the same senior members now against Corbyn are probably also the fools who chose Ed over Dave.

Ed had the backing of the unions...

Blair is entitled to his say... he did win 3 elections, for which I'm grateful, certainly my life changed for the better in those Labour years.  OK he fucked up over Iraq, but I guess that is the fate of all long serving leaders.

It's just about 20 years to the day, that the first of those elections was won. What a great night in the pub...drinking right the way through, as a succession of loathed Tories bit the dust.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 14:24:13 »

David was the Blairite continuity candidate, Ed was seen as the left-wing choice. Fairly sure from what you've said you don't want David back.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 14:26:16 »

Blair is entitled to his say... he did win 3 elections, for which I'm grateful, certainly my life changed for the better in those Labour years.  OK he fucked up over Iraq, but I guess that is the fate of all long serving leaders.
Well, it is the fate of the ones that start illegal wars which kill hundreds of thousands and continue to cause chaos and instability worldwide to this day, yes. Although, that's pretty much just Blair.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 14:41:52 »

For Swindon residents... the Tory parish scam is a con of the very first order. 

By putting up candidiates both Labour and LibDems acquiesce in it.... whereas what they should be doing is looking at ways of challenging its legality.
Spot on Reg. I'm with arriba, in that I'm tempted to spoil my ballot by writing what a con the whole thing is on it. But
a) it's a bit pointless
b) that would just reward the scammers by removing a potential vote against them
Appalling piece of gerrymandering.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 14:44:02 »

Spot on Reg. I'm with arriba, in that I'm tempted to spoil my ballot by writing what a con the whole thing is on it. But
a) it's a bit pointless
b) that would just reward the scammers by removing a potential vote against them
Appalling piece of gerrymandering.

My answer was to vote for an independent who drinks in my local. 5 times  Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 06:43:55 »

Hazy of course to suggest that local election results can be read into too far, but the overnight results are looking increasingly like a Tory landslide. UKIP vote collapsing to them especially is a big factor, counterintuitively the left probably need Nuttall's mob to hold their own, but it's not looking like the polling companies are collectively underplaying Labour's hand at the moment (nor, for the sake of balance, are the Lib Dems making the progress they'd have hoped for).

Overall, it's beginning to look like the TEF may not be a representative sample of the electorate. Who'd have thought it?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 08:16:54 »

The UKIP thing is entirely understandable, although I don't buy the whole argument being peddled by many Tories that their point has vanished.

Its more the case that the Tories have veered so far right that UKIP voters are returning to the fold as  May have brought the more extreme policies of UKIP into the main stream, the speech about the EU in the week was exactly what Farage has been saying whilst her conference speech was probably even more right wing that Farage would have dared. 
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 08:17:11 »

The Tories did better than I expected. 9/3 majority in West Swindon, which I suppose shouldn't be all that much of a surprise given the demographic, but I expected Labour to do better.

The main vote winner in my ward was a UKIP-turned-Tory flipper who obviously benefited from swapping his purple rosette for a blue one.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 09:00:49 »

In Old Town it was 3 seats to Labour and 1 to Conservatives. Was within 7 votes to being all 4 seats to Labour. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 10:06:13 »

The UKIP thing is entirely understandable, although I don't buy the whole argument being peddled by many Tories that their point has vanished.

Its more the case that the Tories have veered so far right that UKIP voters are returning to the fold as  May have brought the more extreme policies of UKIP into the main stream, the speech about the EU in the week was exactly what Farage has been saying whilst her conference speech was probably even more right wing that Farage would have dared. 
Same as Thatcher did to the NF in 79, destroyed their electoral base by coopting their language, if not (thankfully) all their policies. Although I agree May has gone further in terms of adoption of the extreme policies, not sure she's gone further than Farage, still think we're a way off a Tory leader openly backing Marine Le Pen.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 12:05:07 »

By the sounds of it as well these new parish councils in Swindon had had majority of existing Councillors voted onto them so guess that means that will help SBC in the future push other things their way
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: