Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39699 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 21:10:11 »

who said anything about budgets, my point was we had a decent manager

Why do you think he was a decent manager? Achieved nothing before or after us and anyone would have got us promoted that year.

REDBUCK

« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 21:54:29 »

fucksake Bolton. 3 points from safety, 2 games left...

well at least even golden bollocks can't sit back on a 'hope to nick it'  strategy now.

it's over

Feels like the relegation party will be in full swing  by half time on Saturday.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 01:24:27 »

Why do you think he was a decent manager? Achieved nothing before or after us and anyone would have got us promoted that year.

Well, he hadn't had a managerial job before us and has only had one after us with a team who haven't won a major honour since 1973.

Not just anyone would have got us promoted that year, that's bollocks just like the budget argument
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 06:30:26 »

you're so right.

..and it was not just promotion, it was champions by 5 points, automatics by 10 - without taking into account a Johnstone's final and 1 premiership, 1 Championship and two League One teams beaten in the League and FA Cups before going down to premiership opposition in each case.

If "anyone" could have done that, let's have "anyone" rather than Williams in for next season
Panda Paws

« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 08:18:18 »

Well, he hadn't had a managerial job before us and has only had one after us with a team who haven't won a major honour since 1973.

Not just anyone would have got us promoted that year, that's bollocks just like the budget argument

So if he was so impressive, why hasn't he been snapped up, worked his way up the managerial ladder etc? Because he's a fucking lunatic on a power trip who won League 2 with a top-end League 1 budget and has since done fuck all else. Yes he drilled a good set of players into playing well, but he also spunked a load of money on shite, all through his agent, with suggestions of kickbacks etc all over the place, while also behaving like a complete arse to most of the staff at the club.

But I suppose he did wave a scarf around his head and run up and down the touchline, so....
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 08:29:21 »

Whilst i don't disagree with this, you could argue it was his first managerial post and he had wised up pretty quickly. Whilst he had a top league 1 budget we were top league 1 and heading north. Whilst i agree he was an arse    he galvanised the fan base to a point we can only dream of now. He will always polarise opinion.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:00:50 »

NOt aimed at anyone in particular, but we (TEF) can't have the 'money doesn't guarantee' success argument every pre-season when we spend £4.50 on someone who once had a ground tour at Chelsea, then claim 'anyone could get us promoted with that budget' argument about the time we did actually have success.

Or can we..
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:01:00 »

Whilst i don't disagree with this, you could argue it was his first managerial post and he had wised up pretty quickly. Whilst he had a top league 1 budget we were top league 1 and heading north. Whilst i agree he was an arse    he galvanised the fan base to a point we can only dream of now. He will always polarise opinion.

Indeed...not everybody's cup of tea but I fucking loved him.

A pipe dream compared to what we have at this point today.

No manager worth his salt would work in this model, even Kmac fucked off early doors when he saw what it was all about.

Desperados or hopeless punts (like we have now) is all we have to look forward too and frankly, the best we can get.

I have this Horrible feeling that Williams we be leading us out in August on a sun drenched pitch at Accrington....

Clems Army!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:04:45 »

NOt aimed at anyone in particular, but we (TEF) can't have the 'money doesn't guarantee' success argument every pre-season when we spend £4.50 on someone who once had a ground tour at Chelsea, then claim 'anyone could get us promoted with that budget' argument about the time we did actually have success.
Erm, aren't your two contrasting points actually making the same point?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:05:59 »

Or can we..

...... Did you read that before you posted it? They both basically say the same thing.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:06:39 »

Ah balls, PaulD beat me to it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:28:40 »

I have this Horrible feeling that Williams we be leading us out in August on a sun drenched pitch at Accrington....

Oh for a proper lower league gaffer like John Coleman.... ok he's Scouse and has more or less spent all his time in the north west either playing or managing in non league.  But he's learned the trade...  back around Jan it looked like Accy with their gates of 1200, were fucked and they were for the drop. Now in the PO slot, one defeat in 15 and that at Pompey.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Luke and Embers in the dug out come August.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:43:05 »

I wouldnt be surprised to see them get contract extensions!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 12:39:32 »

Erm, aren't your two contrasting points actually making the same point?

No. Just making the point badly.

1. Spend £4.50 as in the 2 most recent years - people say "money doesn't guarantee success" to justify the model.

2. Spend a gazillion (ish). People then say "anyone could get promoted with that budget" (i.e. money does guarantee success) -. i.e Di Canio.

I'm not correlating people in 1 are the same as people as those in 2.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 13:28:19 »

So if he was so impressive, why hasn't he been snapped up, worked his way up the managerial ladder etc? Because he's a fucking lunatic on a power trip who won League 2 with a top-end League 1 budget and has since done fuck all else. Yes he drilled a good set of players into playing well, but he also spunked a load of money on shite, all through his agent, with suggestions of kickbacks etc all over the place, while also behaving like a complete arse to most of the staff at the club.

But I suppose he did wave a scarf around his head and run up and down the touchline, so....

I can't comment on why he's done nothing since and quite frankly I don't care, nor is it relevant.

On, your last line - I will tell you another thing he 'did' and that was win football matches, novel thing to appreciate about a football manager I know.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: