Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39564 times)
woolster

« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 17:51:29 »

Last time we were in League 2, we only had one home League game which fell (just) short of 7,000 and 10 that exceeded 8,000.  Oh and some 140,000 people attended our cup games.
the last time we were in League 2 we had a manager with a bit of nouse  and passion
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 17:54:25 »

Last time we were in League 2, we only had one home League game which fell (just) short of 7,000 and 10 that exceeded 8,000.  Oh and some 140,000 people attended our cup games.

Last time we were in League 2 we had a high profile manager who drew new season ticket holders in and walk up crowds when from fairly early on it was pretty clear we'd be pushing for promotion.  We also had good cup runs.

Next season won't be remotely comparable with the enigmatic Wiliams in charge.

Does anyone know how many season tickets have been sold? I don't imagine given our current situation many more will be flying off the shelf, so this will be a decent indicator of crowds next season surely?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:02:24 »

Comparing the upcoming season to the last time we were in league 2 is like comparing a goldfish to an elephant

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:07:57 »

Is a good model when it works though. We have just recruited badly pre season. January transfer window was better with Ajose and Ince. If we got those players in July/August, maybe we would have had a better season.

If's, buts and maybes. All too late now.

...but...we wouldn't have got those players in, in July or August as they pretty much go against the model which we did not deviate from till we were playing catch up after our 'model' signings weren't good enough.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:17:46 »

...but...we wouldn't have got those players in, in July or August as they pretty much go against the model which we did not deviate from till we were playing catch up after our 'model' signings weren't good enough.

It's been a common complaint from the beginning - not that the model is wrong by itself but that it's stuck to with no room for manoeuvre. I think most people would (or would have) been happy had we stuck to the model but been open to breaking the mould if it was necessary. The 'Swindon way' is not a way that's completely incorrigible or incompatible with rigour and strength, we've seen that in some of our better performances. Ince has made us an infinitely better side, not turned us into a bunch of cloggers, much like El-Abd did to some degree.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Panda Paws

« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:45:14 »

the last time we were in League 2 we had a manager with a bit of nouse  and passion

Irrelevant. Last time we were in League 2 we had a budget double anyone else.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:48:19 »

...except not true
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:54:07 »

Quote from: Sippo
Is a good model when it works though. We have just recruited badly pre season. January transfer window was better with Ajose and Ince. If we got those players in July/August, maybe we would have had a better season.

If's, buts and maybes. All too late now.
it's only worked once, ironically when Sherwood let us have a player or two we shouldn't. we also had a couple of older heads left in there.

two years in a row it's been a shambles.

nothing we've done in the last 4 widows makes me think they know what they are doing.

it needs tweaking and abandoning the policy of total youth. it's a shit strategy. too high risk/low yield
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:55:38 »

Is the league table decided on budget now?
Do the teams with the biggest budget always win the league?
woolster

« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:58:52 »

who said anything about budgets, my point was we had a decent manager
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 19:07:46 »

Is the league table decided on budget now?
Do the teams with the biggest budget always win the league?

I imagine the current top 4 L2 teams have high end budgets for that division and I'd say with confidence that L2 is dictated by budgets but you do need the right manager to use that budget. Di Canio had/was allowed to rebuild as the season progressed (nothing wrong with that).

The fact of the matter is that I didn't think we'd be straight back during Iffy Onuora's final days as manager and I fet the same when Paul Bodin was guiding us to the the end of Danny Wilson and Paul Hart's reign of terror.

Right now, we don't know what will happen but like previous eras, I'm not confident.

(If we go down)
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 20:45:55 »

In other straw-clutching news, Bury look like hanging on for a point at Bolton

I come from a land down-under
Hitchcock

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 20:58:12 »

Quite and a chairman bankrolling it who luckily for us walked away writing off the debt - not a sustainable model
Hitchcock

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 20:59:10 »

In other straw-clutching news, Bury look like hanging on for a point at Bolton

Which they have done, another nail in the coffin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 21:03:18 »

fucksake Bolton. 3 points from safety, 2 games left...

well at least even golden bollocks can't sit back on a 'hope to nick it'  strategy now.

it's over
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: