Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Entertainment value.  (Read 7896 times)
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:22:38 »

How many games have been worth the entrance fee this season?
Me  1     V Bristol Rovers and it got called off at half time.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:23:30 »

And then had to pay again Wink
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:26:10 »

If you buy a ticket to football demanding entertainment value football is probably the wrong sport for you!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:28:18 »

I'm not sure 'entertained' is the way I'd explain expectation.
Winning is what counts.
This year has been the shittest I can remember. Fact.

Its also fucking pointless supporting a club who are happy just to exist. I need hope. Give me some hope Power, you cunt.

Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:29:21 »

Your not wrong
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 17:45:28 »

It's a sport not a soap opera - not such why anyone would expect entertainment or go for that reason
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 20:20:14 »

Well i'm watching Newcastle v Leeds and am entertained.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 20:51:25 »

Go and support Newcastle then

Things get better but they never get good
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 21:38:23 »

Well i'm watching Newcastle v Leeds and am entertained.
You don't really get the idea of supporting a football team do you?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 22:07:11 »

You don't really get the idea of supporting a football team do you?
Fucking patronising idiot. I watched today's game. Was I entertained? Subjective TBH. I watched some of the NUFC v LUFC game, was I entertained? Subjective.

I could answer yes to both and no to both. I could answer yes to either one and no to either one. My loyalty is to STFC. From about '73, have I been entertained at every home and away game I've paid to see? Does not stop me watching other clubs play dies it? If your answer is yes then why do I and millions of people subscribe to skysports?

Go to the back of the class and write a 100 lines.

One can support a club and watch another and be entertained by the club they are not ficticously married too.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 22:48:26 »

If you're treated like fans, and allowed to act like fans, then the entertainment comes on it's own.

If you're treated like a customer, then act like a customer, then it's not unexpected that people start questioning the £20+ a pop shite 'entertainment'  and spend their money elsewhere instead.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 23:02:28 »

This entertainment thing seems to be a new thing that has come into football in the last few years.
'The Swindon Way, The West Ham Way, The Derby Way' all statements I've heard on the last couple of seasons that never used to exist.
Fans used to go to football to watch there team win, no one cares if it was route one or total football. Yet in the past few years I think sky or other tv stations have convinced supporters there is a certain way to play and win.
There isn't.
It's about winning, it's about the result and the 3 points.
The sooner fans start to remember this, the better.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 07:36:06 »

Football is first and foremost about winning but I think there are then two schools of thought - it's ONLY about winning and it's about bringing something EXTRA such as winning with style.  That battle of ideas was nowhere more evident than the battles between STFC and Cambridge United back in Hoddle's day.  The West Ham way is virtually copyrighted and has been in existence since the 1960s. I happen to like the Swindon way but this has turned into too narrow a belief in sterile possession for the sake of it that achieves neither style nor results.  The idea that you go to football and expect entertainment and value for money is ludicrous for the fan.  Drama is a real bonus, sure, if it goes your way but not knowing what you're in for is part of it.  Style does not necessarily produce more drama or entertainment but over a season it is something I like to see STFC try to produce. Yesterday was more than ever about the result and nothing else.  I would have been delighted with the soul destroying spectacle we endured had there been a first minute or97 th minute winner
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 10:20:42 »

Interesting points,i maybe should have swapped entertainment for interest.I've seen plenty of poor football over the years but the whole matchday experience is at an all time low for me.The slow pace doesn't get the crowd going so there's little to no atmosphere from which is one of the larger supported clubs in this division.
I've been watching since 1979 as a regular,saw a few games before eg.v Fulam with Besty so i think Theakston's response is a bit wide of the mark.
When i go to games i want to get the impression that the players are lucky to be that gifted to be able to play football for a living.Sadly most of the time i think they haven't got a clue and i could do better myself,i'm 53.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 10:25:56 »

I don't think it's a particularly new thing, I think it started with Wimbledon.

The media turned their noses up at the success they had (for a small club) because of their style.

Same was true of Cambridge under Beck, those old enough to remember will recall how much we  took the moral high ground over them when we had Hoddle.

As has been posted, football is about winning. Being a good coach/manager is about finding the best way to win the players you have.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: