Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon vs Franchise match day thread  (Read 22860 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #105 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 09:46:59 »

Colkett clearly hasn't got a fucking clue we're in a relegation scrap. Furthermore I don't think he gives a shit either. Exactly the player we sign, exactly the player we don't need.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 10:32:52 »

Colkett set up Ajose last week at Fleetwood with a lovely ball to get the winner. Played well overall as well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #107 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 11:20:36 »

From all the pics I've seen of inside the ground and also of queues outside the ground, is the reported 7900 a lot lower than it actually was or are the pics misleading?
Seemed pretty full round the ground.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 11:35:42 »

That's a flattering picture of the townend and the drs

Things get better but they never get good
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 11:57:55 »

The DRS capacity is 4,800, the Arkells 5,800 and the TE 2000.

I'd say the DRS was nigh on full - say 4,500, the Arkells half full, 2,500 and the TE maybe 1,200

Not far off the official figures.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 12:22:14 »

If you look at the highlights you'll see how empty the TE was

http://www.skysports.com/football/swindon-vs-mk-dons/report/359164

Also interesting to see how we seem to have taken the lead and let them back into it.  Sky gone arse about tit it would appear.

Never knowingly overstated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 14:27:28 »

I think it was Coventry away when I last troubled the matchday thread, grandly concluding that whilst the world would become a better place, we'd still be going down.  A month or so later, and I'm here to be argued with on both counts, from an STFC perspective at least, more optimistically.

I've enjoyed the last week: all the hashtags, the calls for unity, the weather forecast, the bloody hope.  I've been the one checking the ticket sales every evening, booking the train for Charlton, reading every last comment on the Adver site and generally suspending everything I've thought for two and a bit years, every concern that returned with interest in that pre-season friendly against Swansea.

I'm proud too, proud of the way that the Trust in particular, have been proactive in reminding us that it's our club, and we're the ones with the power to make things happen, especially given that Power is manifestly not making things happen.  Yes, it's absurd that our club is managed this way, head bangingly frustrating that such obviously mutually beneficial ideas are shunned, and that the exciting opportunity of running an engaging community club is made to look so darn begrudging and miserable.  In that spirit, I for one, am humbly grateful for all those standing up - in a positive way - to say together we can do this better.

And irrespective perhaps of the result today (we might stay up, it's more than likely we won't), that's my reflection: the sheer passion, will and again and again, hope, that we share is reason enough for positivity.  On a smaller scale, I didn't know Whits, but can't help but be moved by the evocative stories: of reconnection, of belonging, of believing, of random away days in distant northern towns and uncertain minibuses and generous hostelries and random faces in photographs.  And time and time again, it's not the result or even the opposition that's remembered, it's that hope, togetherness, belonging.

Which does remind me that I popped by to offer my thoughts on today's game.

There is quite obviously a sense of expectation in the air, that the miserable winter we've endured can somehow be forgotten with an afternoon of sunshine and three precious points.  And then, we can dream of living again.  The atmosphere is incredibly supportive - we are here desperate to be able to forgive our players, our coaches, our owner everything - the recruitment, the naivety, the half-arsedness, if only they can give us that win.

My first frown comes a couple of minutes in with Connor Thomas taking an extra touch before crossing, and my very last one when Branco does likewise before setting Brophy away.  The extra touch of course is the tell-tale sign of nervousness, and this is what characterises our first half.  Add up those extra comfort blanket touches and there we have it, 45 minutes without a sniff of a chance, never mind a goal.  Today though, that concerns me less than usual.  My coach head is saying 'stay in the game' - giving it a lash if 0-0 in the last 15 might be our best hope.  I've made it this far without mentioning the opposition, and whilst 'hate' isn't a favourite word of mine, it very much gets a mental airing today.  We have a lamentable recent record against them, with Lewington reffing every game, and the continually small perceived injustices fuelling a rational dislike even further.  I shan't give them too much airtime, suffice to say that I thought they were comfortably one of the best teams we've faced this season.  Such is our luck - we spend a week building the WHOLE REGION into a crazed frenzy - and just when we need just one of this season's hapless Division 3 sunbathing no-hopers to pop by, we get this club stealing, fast improving and actually quite good lot instead.

I'm prepared to scream for anything today - I know it wasn't handball, but if you don't ask you don't get, and I'm only helping the one with the whistle try to make the right decision.  Unfortunately, Dean Lewington is doing the same, and thus Ince is booked, and they get a jammy penalty from a dive by a player who was miles offside.  You get my drift.  But where there was a will, there wasn't quite a way, the referee was scandalously unwilling to even things up or to give us any favour throughout.  So we had to do it ourselves.

And for those who haven't seen many games, we have been much, much worse.  And most teams we have played have been similarly indifferent.  Today though, Ince was bang out of sorts, and try, try and try as he might, it felt nothing would come off for the deeper Obika.  Credit though to Williams for making decisive changes early. The switch to a three enabled Nathan to influence the game and for us to play with more width and creativity.  Gladwin and Brophy were given plenty of time, although neither had much impact.  Most surprisingly, following the excellent Conroy's injury, Barry had more joy, a cameo in which he was constantly involved and especially in and around the final third.

Yes, they had about 500 one on ones, and hit the bar or post about 27 times, and Vigs called on 32 more miracles, but I don't think anyone could really begrudge our point, ground out in honest endeavour and especially so in a pulsating last 10 minutes.  So here's to more positivity, looking forward to four more games, more demanding that our team do it for Whits, for all the other great fans in the sky, for themselves, and for us, humbly passing through as supporters of our wonderful institution.

And you're right - there was more history, stories and soul in my retro shirt alone than in their entire club.
How is it that there are hacks at the Adver who actually can't spell stealing a living as journalists and I have to come on here to read writing of this quality?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 15:53:05 »

Must be genetic...
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 17:17:46 »

Must be genetic...

Thanks Paul and others for your generous encouragement, and to Sonic for sharing some genes 👍
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 17:42:17 »

Colkett clearly has a shitload of ability but he doesn't seem to care whatsoever, too many attempted first time passes without looking, hides for periods of the game, doesn't close down or put in a tackle when he should. It seemed especially noticeable yesterday after Ince was booked and was less effective.

I thought there were some odd decisions yesterday as well. Not sure why we went 3-5-2 but put Thomas at right wing-back then took Dabo off for Brophy when he was having a good game and not struggling fitness wise at all.

This,

Plus I see the reason for Dabo being subbed later as he is naturally right footed (apart from the one excellent cross in the first half that no-one was expecting) and Brophy is left footed. Although Brophy cuts inside as well he offers a bit of pace and their right back could not bomb forward as much as he did earlier in the game.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, April 9, 2017, 20:33:42 »

He's left footed but he's fucking dogshite

Things get better but they never get good
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, April 10, 2017, 08:20:48 »

My last view of Colkett on the day explains a lot of the problem- Lane 3 of the M4, up the arse of the car in front, driving his shiny new looking blue Audi saloon with private plate, wearing a fucking baseball cap FFS!

A child, earning enough dosh to buy a car like that. Why put it on the line for STFC when he's already sitting pretty?

As others have said, a fucking enigma. Slow hesitant passages of play underscored with hand waving at his teammates as if to ask "Why aren't you moving for me?"when they could just as easily ask "Why the fuck aren't your running with the ball you twat?" and he then goes and spoils everything with a Hoddlesque 60 yard crossfield pass that lands on the sixpence he was aiming at. My ghast is flabbered and my ire roiled on a regular basis.

P.S. Lewington is a cunt. An absolute cunt of the first order. When he isn't being an absolute cunt he is a total fucking cunt.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, April 10, 2017, 10:03:50 »

My last view of Colkett on the day explains a lot of the problem- Lane 3 of the M4, up the arse of the car in front, driving his shiny new looking blue Audi saloon with private plate, wearing a fucking baseball cap FFS!

A child, earning enough dosh to buy a car like that. Why put it on the line for STFC when he's already sitting pretty?

As others have said, a fucking enigma. Slow hesitant passages of play underscored with hand waving at his teammates as if to ask "Why aren't you moving for me?"when they could just as easily ask "Why the fuck aren't your running with the ball you twat?" and he then goes and spoils everything with a Hoddlesque 60 yard crossfield pass that lands on the sixpence he was aiming at. My ghast is flabbered and my ire roiled on a regular basis.

P.S. Lewington is a cunt. An absolute cunt of the first order. When he isn't being an absolute cunt he is a total fucking cunt.

It should be pointed out that the reason we're going down isn't because of Colkett. In a similar vein although Lewington is a cunt, had we had such a steady experienced Div 3 left back this season, we probably wouldn't be going down.

Our little rally at season's end, has helped Power get out of immediate stick coming his way... although I suppose he's finessed that not turning up for games.

I guess most fan's ire will now just be assuaged by not renewing season tickets.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, April 10, 2017, 10:42:14 »

It should be pointed out that the reason we're going down isn't because of Colkett. In a similar vein although Lewington is a cunt, had we had such a steady experienced Div 3 left back this season, we probably wouldn't be going down.

Our little rally at season's end, has helped Power get out of immediate stick coming his way... although I suppose he's finessed that not turning up for games.

I guess most fan's ire will now just be assuaged by not renewing season tickets.

Yes.  There's no point blaming the late recruits [kids] for not getting us out of trouble - although I did groan a few times on Saturday when Colkett attempted his 'tricksy flicksy' stuff when something more basic was called for.  The damage was done much earlier in the season and the repeated failure by those in charge to address the obvious failings was only ever going to end one way.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, April 10, 2017, 10:48:42 »

I'm not blaming Colkett for where we are. I am commenting on his attitude.

We are where we are because we have been shit for most of the season. Not Colketts fault.

Colkett attracts criticism for his play and sometimes percieved lack of effort and passion.

He is a kid learning his trade but, what is there to inspire him to improve? Looking at his lifestyle, he's more than comfortable.

As a comparison, I am sure I saw Brad Barry on the same journey- driving out of the County ground in a Smart Car.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: