Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 382049 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #870 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 09:53:25 »

The more I think about the ground purchase, the more I’m genuinely excited by it.  For whatever reason - but probably because the ground has been owned by a local authority with little incentive to sell - STFC has been badly left behind during the post-Hillsborough period.  I struggle to think of clubs similar to ours who have done as little to their grounds as we have in the last 25 yrs.

Done properly, this will give us a platform to kick on from.  Improved supporter engagement, better sense of the County Ground being our 'home' and, eventually, a better ground/experience on match days.  Really hope that people get behind this.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #871 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 09:58:32 »

The more I think about the ground purchase, the more I’m genuinely excited by it.  For whatever reason - but probably because the ground has been owned by a local authority with little incentive to sell - STFC has been badly left behind during the post-Hillsborough period.  I struggle to think of clubs similar to ours who have done as little to their grounds as we have in the last 25 yrs.

Done properly, this will give us a platform to kick on from.  Improved supporter engagement, better sense of the County Ground being our 'home' and, eventually, a better ground/experience on match days.  Really hope that people get behind this.

This ^^

Until I see some evidence that this could be a bad thing it appears to be one of the most exciting days in our recent history.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #872 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:02:37 »

Absolutely brilliant news, the usual suspect(s) will peddle their negative agenda but nobody cares.

Fair play to LP and great work from the trust
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #873 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:07:10 »

However it's worth bearing in mind that the club has always owned the bricks and mortar.... this sale is just the freehold of the footprint. It's the fact that SBC hold the freehold that has been an obstacle to a move..... although some in their wilder flights of fancy imagine Power building us a shiny new stadium at the CG, it isn't going to happen.

Much more likely, if anything, will be a flatpack Sixfields, Huish Park even Kassam type ground on the edge of Town or Borough.
Flashheart

« Reply #874 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:11:10 »

The training ground is progressing as well according to a certain Mr. Digby.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #875 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:12:43 »

Are we still linked with the Australian construction firm?

Is the plan to buy the stadium and start redeveloping through them or am I being too optimistic?

Still great news for me.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:15:19 »

Much more likely, if anything, will be a flatpack Sixfields, Huish Park even Kassam type ground on the edge of Town or Borough.

In Yesterdays press conference, its on ifollow, they stated that this wont be the case!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:16:38 »

Absolutely brilliant news, the usual suspect(s) will peddle their negative agenda but nobody cares.

Fair play to LP and great work from the trust

I assume you mean me.... I don't have an agenda, I don't like them as mentioned in a previous post.  However I will try to look at matters objectively.

I've tried BD and Sutton, so now I'll try you.... can you explain to me how the change of freehold owner from SBC to the JV, will make any CG developments any more likely than is currently the case?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:16:56 »

In Yesterdays press conference, its on ifollow, they stated that this wont be the case!

Don't you be coming on here with your facts....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:22:59 »

However it's worth bearing in mind that the club has always owned the bricks and mortar.... this sale is just the freehold of the footprint.

Yes, of course.

It's the fact that SBC hold the freehold that has been an obstacle to a move..... although some in their wilder flights of fancy imagine Power building us a shiny new stadium at the CG, it isn't going to happen.

We'll have to wait & see.  Even though it was a while ago now, the Shaw Tip debacle showed that the out of town option might not be straight forward.  Swindon BC authority boundaries are drawn quite tightly around the existing urban footprint of the town, and I doubt that neighbouring local authorities would be particularly accommodating.  Throw in the supporter ownership angle (ie County Ground owned jointly by the club and a few thousand fans), and retaining the existing site does start to seem more likely.

Either way, many of us have been saying for years that we have to do something.  We are not even on the same page as many clubs that used to be our peers.  The 'do nothing' option is a ticket to Non-League obscurity within 5 to 10 years.  We have to change to survive.  I hope that that does not involve a ground move - but would now grudglingly accept one if I absolutely had to.  A redeveloped County Ground, however, remains the prize...even if we should have done this 20 yrs ago like just about everyone else.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:23:21 »

However it's worth bearing in mind that the club has always owned the bricks and mortar.... this sale is just the freehold of the footprint. It's the fact that SBC hold the freehold that has been an obstacle to a move..... although some in their wilder flights of fancy imagine Power building us a shiny new stadium at the CG, it isn't going to happen.

Just to work through this....

a) the bricks and mortar are worthless as it would cost much more to dismantle and move than to just build from scratch;
b) please explain why the Council owning the freehold has been an obstacle in moving using evidenced facts and not conjecture, previous relocation schemes have failed as they have been shite in planning terms and the Council could not permit in simple planning policy terms, I am sure if you can identify a suitable site the club would be delighted to hear from you;
c) Why is a development on site not going to happen, again using evidenced facts and not conjecture;
d) so just to allow me to get this straight we are buying a site in the town centre off the Council to then expect the same Council to allow a ground to be built on the edge of town?

You haven't seen the HoT's, I haven't seen the HoT's until that detail becomes apparent (and it possibly may not) we have no idea what the process involves or what covenants existing or even additional may be attached to any such sale so to keep making statements when you don't have detail to back them up is hardly 'objective' is it, its just pressing a tired agenda.

Its telling that progress seems to have been made relatively quickly once the JV was formed to negotiate, I trust the Trust board to at the very least be acting in supporters interest, you obviously don't and each to their own. Its almost like you don't want anything positive to happen.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:28:38 by horlock07 » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #881 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:30:50 »

Can someone change reg’s name to eeyore

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #882 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:37:54 »

An element of scepticism is healthy.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:39:52 »

An element of scepticism is healthy.

And an element of hope would seem to be a requirement in following any football club, especially a lower league one in a fairly downtrodden provincial town on a less than ideal trajectory. I don't really get how you could have Reg's world view and still want to spend a moment of your time thinking about football, let alone really rather a lot of your time posting on an internet forum about it.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:42:10 »

I've tried BD and Sutton, so now I'll try you.... can you explain to me how the change of freehold owner from SBC to the JV, will make any CG developments any more likely than is currently the case?

Any development at the County Ground will almost certainly have to be a joint venture with a developer building a hotel or something which they benefit from while the club benefit from the improved stadium. To get a development partner to commit to a £10-15m (say) project is more likely if the club / trust own the freehold. It gives them a secure tenure rather than having to renegotiate the lease with the council every so often. It also means the club would keep any additional revenue from the new facilities rather than seeing a proportion of it disappear in extra rent (the clubs rent is partly based on turnover)

There are still plenty of hurdles to overcome before we see any major improvements to the stadium I'm sure but I do think it will come a step nearer with the club / trust owning the freehold.

I have never regarded an out of town site as being likely because the same problem of how to fund it still exists and is likely even bigger. If you start from scratch on a new site it would probably cost £20m just to recreate what we already have. You can achieve a modern 20,000 capacity stadium at the County Ground by augmenting what is already there much more cost effectively than starting again on a new site.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: