Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 382088 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:32:30 »

SBC are not to be trusted, as having the best interests of Swindon at heart.  If they did, they certainly wouldn't be selling a historic cultural asset to Lee Power.  Did Manchester City Council sell their asset of a stadium to Abu Dhabi... no, they take the rent from City, and gain the soft power benefit of having a second major football club in the city.

Just for a change you are comparing Apples and Bananas....

MCC get so much more than just the rent from the Etihad and that's why they retain ownership, multiple concerts each year, multiple other sports using the site (all which bring additional income) the commitment from City for the wider regeneration of the land surrounding the ground, I know that when I worked down there is was a total no go area, changed beyond recognition now. Its become the centre piece of a regeneration success providing a community facility that the City is proud of, and brings the CC a lot of kudos in Manchester.

At the present SBC get £250k a year (when we get round to paying it) and frankly fuck all else out of owning the ground, which is an eyesore from many angles and only brings any sort of positive to the Council from the c.5k of residents who actually give a shit about the club, its an asset that needs a fortune spending on it to make it useful for anything above third tier football and there is no hope with revenue streams beyond football in its present state.

Frankly its a millstone to the Council as it stands, not saying that absolute caution should not be employed when deciding who to sell to, but don’t try to rewrite history to make a point.

As for the historic cultural asset - really?Huh? No part of it is older that post war (I stand to be corrected on The Town End), and whilst the field and historic use of the site may have some social history it’s no Goodison for instance. Its means a lot to us fools and not many more...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:45:03 »

How can it be a millstone, they get quarter of a mill for an asset that cost them fuck all to acquire and cost them fuck all to maintain, as it was given to SBC as guardian for the sporting benefit of Swindonians.

No, it's effectively another Tory privatisation, take assets which should belong in the public realm and flog them off.

« Last Edit: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:46:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:50:55 »

I can see SBC (legitimately) complaining during the periods where we didn't pay/withheld rent.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:54:41 »

I can see SBC (legitimately) complaining during the periods where we didn't pay/withheld rent.

But how much money will the FC have paid in down the years into SBC's coffers, just in rent alone.  Millions.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 15:56:37 »

How can it be a millstone, they get quarter of a mill for an asset that cost them fuck all to acquire and cost them fuck all to maintain, as it was given to SBC as guardian for the sporting benefit of Swindonians.

No, it's effectively another Tory privatisation, take assets which should belong in the public realm and flog them off.

Mention of the Tories after only 2 posts... I am calling house on this one!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 16:47:50 »

Mention of the Tories after only 2 posts... I am calling house on this one!

Sadly it's the Tory administration who are making the call on this.  With the May locals coming up, there is a possibility of them losing their majority.  According to some sources if the Tories do badly in Swindon and London, then it will precipitate a leadership challenge for Theresa
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 17:06:19 »

SBC are not to be trusted, as having the best interests of Swindon at heart.  If they did, they certainly wouldn't be selling a historic cultural asset to Lee Power.  Did Manchester City Council sell their asset of a stadium to Abu Dhabi... no, they take the rent from City, and gain the soft power benefit of having a second major football club in the city.
Man City is a bad example, they may not own the ground but Man City own all the land around it that is now called the Etihad Campus. So yeah Manchester Council did sell their assets to Abu Dhabi as you put it!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 17:25:43 »

You would hope/think that anyone with an interest in the town would be keen to keep the club where it is...regardless of their feelings towards it.  There is a lot less going on in the centre of Swindon compared with other towns/cities of similar size.  If you keep hollowing the place out and shifting everything to the suburbs, you'll end up with a giant housing estate with no discernible heart/centre.  SBC & STFC need to work in partnership.  They both need each other.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 17:28:58 »

Man City is a bad example, they may not own the ground but Man City own all the land around it that is now called the Etihad Campus. So yeah Manchester Council did sell their assets to Abu Dhabi as you put it!

There's nowt wrong with partnerships between private finance and public bodies, if the general perception is that it is beneficial to the wider community. As I understand it the Etihad Campus was built on derelict brownfield land, and as a hub for sporting excellence so fits that remit.

There's no doubt that the CG needs a bit of a facelift and could be put to wider use..... however we know from previous research into how that might actually work and how it might be profitable, that there aren't too many solutions.

Which begs the question why would a a company like Axis get involved if they didn't see a sizeable profit.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #369 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 18:23:33 »

A full redevelopment is a step up for Axis, previously they have been contractors or sub contractors. So what's in it for them is proving to the wider business community that they are big enough to do more. Plus profit, presumably.
Flashheart

« Reply #370 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 18:35:31 »

The same thing had crossed my mind Jayo.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 18:35:36 »

A full redevelopment is a step up for Axis, previously they have been contractors or sub contractors. So what's in it for them is proving to the wider business community that they are big enough to do more. Plus profit, presumably.

Hence the line that they were “involved in” Wembley and White Hart Lane redevelopments. They may have been together with 300 other contractors. I’d be interested to hear in what capacity, but if they’re the only ones interested, let’s get on with it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 18:58:16 »

The same thing had crossed my mind Jayo.
The same thing crossed my mind when I posted it at 2ish this afternoon..... 😉
Flashheart

« Reply #373 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 19:02:01 »

The same thing crossed my mind when I posted it at 2ish this afternoon..... 😉

I probably missed it through scrolling down to bypass Reg's waffle.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 19:09:19 »

What I’m struggling to understand is how anyone who owns the CG will make money out of developing the stadium. Unless there is additional development to go alongside any revamped stadium - houses, hotel etc.

I presume the council are just selling off the footprint that the CG currently stands on. Unless the surrounding land is also sold there is no room for anything.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: