Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 382103 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 17:01:16 »

All just looks like typical forum carping to me. Moan at the board, moan at the team, moan at the Trust. But do anything about it? Me?

Who was making these points at the meeting? Rob T apparently. Anyone else? Lots of the reasons for not backing the Trust look like minor quibbles, rather than actively opposing it. It will fold quickly enough if the fans don't care about it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 17:03:11 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 17:09:05 »

I didn't manage to make the meeting, 4,000 miles and the Atlantic ocean got a little in the way.

The Trust's most successful period was when everyone rallied around a single cause - get Diamandis Out!  I joined as a result, also helping come up with a budget and fixit proposal for a CG development to try and show the club what could be achieved.

They won't succeed if they try it all.

I want them to succeed.

Getting Diamandis out probably worked, but wasn't really a positive campaign.  Buying the ground, beyond buying the club, is the single biggest and most positive action they could ever take.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 17:18:06 »

It will fold quickly enough if the fans don't care about it.

I just don't think the fans' heart is in it any longer.  

SBC are clearly offering first dibs on the sale of the CG to the Trust as they have to, much like the running of Lydiard.

If the Trust can't come up with the lucre then it will be offered out to developers. The club only has a short lease agreement, and Power could operate any rump STFC in non league at Supermarine, with a bit of an upgrade.

Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 18:15:45 »

I just don't think the fans' heart is in it any longer.  

SBC are clearly offering first dibs on the sale of the CG to the Trust as they have to, much like the running of Lydiard.

If the Trust can't come up with the lucre then it will be offered out to developers. The club only has a short lease agreement, and Power could operate any rump STFC in non league at Supermarine, with a bit of an upgrade.

Wow!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 19:54:29 »

I dunno, you were the one that thought that something in the past couple of pages was so damning that the Trust should not be allowed to buy the CG. All I could see over the past couple of pages was some (quite reasonable) complaints about a lack of clarity in the initial launch. What is it then that the Trust have done that is so wrong?

The trust haven't done anything wrong as such, it's just that i don't think they've done enough right to justify being gifted the county ground at the current time. It's a huge responsibility and i think they have some way to go yet.

I also worry that even if they secured​ the ground there inevitably would be in fighting within the trust committee at some point. There would be major issues between the trust and the owner of the club too. I can't see it working harmoniously but i am a pessimist by nature.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 20:19:29 »

Fair enough, all valid concerns. But if the council are looking to sell the CG, then the alternatives to the Trust are considerably less appealing - asset strippers or only ever being one forced sale away from asset strippers. If the club (or separately it's owners) had owned the CG under Diamandis or when Black threw his toys out of the pram into the grateful lap of Jed, there wouldn't be a County Ground now. And probably not a club, either. So while your misgivings are understandable, if it's going anywhere I'd far rather it went to the Trust. The alternatives make Reg look cheerful Smiley
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 21:25:50 »

Wow!
I agree with Reg.
The facilities at Webbs Wood stadium are better than the CG.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, March 23, 2017, 23:01:29 »

I've signed up and hope that many more do as well. Agree that things could be clearer with websites etc but purchasing the ground would be fantastic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 10:27:03 »

I agree with Reg.
The facilities at Webbs Wood stadium are better than the CG.

In order to be acceptable for the Conference, the capacity would need to be brought up to about 4,500 minimum. The DRS which will need to come down for any development could be re-cycled or perhaps a bit of Nene Park might be more suitable.

dogs

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 10:28:01 »

I've signed up and hope that many more do as well. Agree that things could be clearer with websites etc but purchasing the ground would be fantastic.

Agree with that.

Signed up this morning.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 10:53:43 »

Signed up to what, membership to the trust?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 10:54:15 »

Well done, PlymRed.  Me too (I think my membership had lapsed).

As Paul effectively says, an acquisition of the CG by the Trust will always be "better than the alternative".

IMO,  it is the only way in which the Trust can make a difference of real significance.

TEF is great for the fun, the information and the Happy Clapper v Robinmoaner debates (in short, the bollocks) but 5 minutes and GBP 12.00 p.a. to become a member at this point seems good value to even the surliest or the most wavering of fans.

http://www.redarmyfund.co.uk/donate/?nk=884-092d31aa3c
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 11:21:46 »

Well done, PlymRed.  Me too (I think my membership had lapsed).

As Paul effectively says, an acquisition of the CG by the Trust will always be "better than the alternative".

IMO,  it is the only way in which the Trust can make a difference of real significance.

TEF is great for the fun, the information and the Happy Clapper v Robinmoaner debates (in short, the bollocks) but 5 minutes and GBP 12.00 p.a. to become a member at this point seems good value to even the surliest or the most wavering of fans.

http://www.redarmyfund.co.uk/donate/?nk=884-092d31aa3c

I am being grumpy again here, but that's another bloody website.... and if you click on projects ground purchase is not even mentioned and the last news story is 2015?

Come on Trust, you have a half decent journalist on board  Wink, you are obviously good at designing websites yet over a week after it became public there appears to be nothing on any of the plethora of sites detailing what fans should do - a press release, a flyer anything?

I will renew my membership but if I didn't red on here I would know nothing and be very confused?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 11:24:07 »

What I do like on that link though is the cryptic line "Mug items displayed below have been replaced by boxed metal pens" which surely must be a reaction to Sweary Tim's rant - no fackin' mugs!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 11:29:58 »

What I do like on that link though is the cryptic line "Mug items displayed below have been replaced by boxed metal pens" which surely must be a reaction to Sweary Tim's rant - no fackin' mugs!

The Trust should market mugs with the SY avatar of Squires' work on it. Could be a winner.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: