Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Sheffield United Official Match Day Thread  (Read 26693 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 10:27:09 »

I will continue to go but its out of duty and the hope that things get better. You appreciate the good times more when you've been through the bad times. I don't get any enjoyment out of it at the moment and haven't for a long time and I don't expect to in the near future either. I will go in the hope of enjoying it again, not an expectation of doing so. This might make me a sad individual but its my club and I love it but I hate just about everything about it at the moment. It wouldn't take much for me to be enthused again, a little bit of pragmatism would help but this self destructive ideology at the expense of everything else will drive fans away. It won't drive me away but I understand entirely if it does some / most.
I'm kind of half way between this and herthab tbh. Renewing but with no sense of joy about it at all, more a grudging resentment and a feeling there are much, much better things I could be spending the money on. And tbh even some really fucking stupid things that would still be a better use of the money
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 10:29:58 »

^^^^this covers me
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 10:54:03 »

Yep, I'm in the same category.  I'll be renewing but with a heavy heart.

This will be my 9th relegation season and they have all hurt in one way or another. 

This one was totally avoidable though. 
bleko89

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 11:16:47 »

On a positive note I think we need about 15 or 16 points to stay up
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 11:20:37 »

On a positive note I think we need about 15 or 16 points to stay up

Its only 5 out of 8.

Keep the faith.
We go again.
The lads are working hard on their beer bellies
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 11:39:28 »

Next season could be really exciting....we've never been engaged in the sort of existential battle that the likes of Oxford and Rovers have had... namely for FL survival.

Because let's face it the current set up isn't up to standard and massive changes will be required.

I'd like to think Power would accept that he's made as much as he's going to from STFC and put the club on the market.

Failing that he needs to face reality and do something about our chronic lack of competitiveness, that doesn't involve loaning kids from Chelsea.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 12:43:36 »

Next season could be really exciting....we've never been engaged in the sort of existential battle that the likes of Oxford and Rovers have had... namely for FL survival.

Erm apart from the three seasons we had to go through the reelection process (1932/33  1955/56  1956/57)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 13:14:05 »

Because let's face it the current set up isn't up to standard and massive changes will be required.

I'd like to think Power would accept that he's made as much as he's going to from STFC and put the club on the market.

Failing that he needs to face reality and do something about our chronic lack of competitiveness, that doesn't involve loaning kids from Chelsea.

Got to love Reg, getting his relegation prediction in for next season already.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 14:50:01 »

Erm apart from the three seasons we had to go through the reelection process (1932/33  1955/56  1956/57)
Also under Macari's first term in charge we were languishing in 16th place in Div 4 in October, but before then under Beamish we were 17th place in Div 4 after 39 matches and only 9 points outside the re-election zone.

This will be my 8th relegation (counting demotion in 1990) and yes as PF says they do all hurt, some for lack of talented players, some for lack of commitment by the players, some by bad management, some by lack of investment on the pitch and some by poor financial business by the Chairman.

Unfortunately this season it seems to be a combination of all of that in parts.

The part that does genuinely concern me is that it seems Power will not employ a manager with some experience, so even if Williams leaves or is pushed I am 99.99% certain that he will be replaced by another inexperienced manager, which has worked in the past several times but with Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle, MacMahon, PdC and even Wise they all were allowed to bring in their own style of play and their own players....something Power will not offer any new manager.

The other thing is that Power refuses point blank to sign any player over the age of 23 on a permanent deal, what I feel our defence would need is a couple of older head that can marshall the defence on the pitch and lead the team (like Ward and to a lesser extent Ricketts a few years back) but that will not happen with Power in charge as he has stated as much in his last interview.

There has to be a balance of experience and youth, we cannot rely entirely on youth.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 15:13:47 »

I will continue to go but its out of duty and the hope that things get better. You appreciate the good times more when you've been through the bad times. I don't get any enjoyment out of it at the moment and haven't for a long time and I don't expect to in the near future either. I will go in the hope of enjoying it again, not an expectation of doing so. This might make me a sad individual but its my club and I love it but I hate just about everything about it at the moment. It wouldn't take much for me to be enthused again, a little bit of pragmatism would help but this self destructive ideology at the expense of everything else will drive fans away. It won't drive me away but I understand entirely if it does some / most.
Sums up my feelings.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 15:41:29 »

There was little realistic chance that a club with our history wouldn't have got re-elected.

So for example in 56 we got 42 votes, compared to Headington's 0. In 57 we got 42 votes compared to Headington's 0.

Incidentallly the other 2 Div 3S applicants were Palace and Norwich both of whom have spent many years in the top two tiers since.

Of the pre Macari Div 4 years again there was never any realistic chance we'd end up in the re-election zone and even if we had, the nod would have been given.  Maybe less certain post Macari, as we'd fucked off plenty of clubs.

Of course, Tonker it's a bit early to predict struggle for next season, however we're talking about something which starts seriously in about 4 months, Power has just wasted that length of time when a relegation scrap was staring us in the face.

Why would you think that the needed complete overhaul of management and playing staff will be completed in that time frame?... for me the available evidence suggests otherwise. We saw in the window the only permanents are some bits of kids, with little experience, whist you can carry a few of these in a squad, you need some experience. Sherwood conceded as much back in December and promptly did SFA about it.

Our only salvation maybe only 2 down...which if the case for this year, would be something we might just achieve.
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 16:04:59 »

We are doomed
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 16:55:08 »

I'm kind of half way between this and herthab tbh. Renewing but with no sense of joy about it at all, more a grudging resentment and a feeling there are much, much better things I could be spending the money on. And tbh even some really fucking stupid things that would still be a better use of the money

Likewise I will renew and feel a fool for doing it but couldn't image my sat's without my football fix and blind hope we can do something good

My lad keep's wanting to come to games so I may bring him / torture him with a few more games next season, then he will understand why I go home after a game pissed off 
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 18:17:02 »

You would find that exciting?

I think that confirms what many already know
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 18:37:17 »

You would find that exciting?

I think that confirms what many already know

Yep. We're all different  Smiley   A proviso though, the relegation fight will need to be successful, unlike this campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: