Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good Chairman  (Read 9496 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 13:51:18 »

Mike Spearman was a good guy and interacted with fans a lot, but I don't remember what he really achieved (promotion under McMahon?) I was a bit too young to really take that all in
animalwilliams

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:18:17 »

Cecil Green? Never heard anyone say anything negative about him.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:19:06 »

The mistake of the Fitton era was that they weren't all on board with the strategy of whether to spend or cover costs by selling a Cox every year.

Had Black been convinced to splashed the cash in the summer of 2010 and invested in the team that got to Wembley we could have pushed on for promotion.

Instead the cash was blown a year later getting us back to the starting position and Black ran out of goodwill.

Sent from my HTC One M9
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:21:42 »

Cecil Green? Never heard anyone say anything negative about him.

Cecil was a true gent, but outside of DRS's 30 year time frame...  Eric Lane, was cut from similar cloth.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:33:52 »

Lee powers statement. I'm not a huge fan but I agreed with something he said. A lot of people on here had said they were giving up on town but powers has said he needs everyone behind the team. If there was ever the town need us it's now. We need to be the ones to push them over the line as there is no doubt the DO need the fans. So come Saturday let's get the place booming. Probably won't convince many on here but I'm hoping I do.

Sent from my iPhone
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 19:19:02 »

Who in their right mind would want to own a football club? Constant criticism from fans, even the sensible ones on occasions as we want financial stability as well as success. Very few teams are successful and even those that are sometimes slide down the ladder as they overspend to get that success. Go on 95% of forums and fans will be criticising the owners or manager or both. Social media has changed things for the worse, we now live in a world where even the uninformed idiots claim fiction as fact. Not saying Power is the saviour but the devil incarnate he isnt either. Support the team - end of.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 22:54:41 »

I have to vote for Mike Spearman - for schooling a teenage me in being an opening bat, in sniffing out a pub on an away day, for putting his money on the line - and for staying around when others legged it during tough times.  And as for anyone still going to games in their late eighties, well.

But if they're more personal, it is Fitton for me.  Goodness knows what went so completely wrong, because he more than anyone, seemed to get it, gave us hope and took us from near oblivion to a bobble from the Championship in a heartbeat.  If only, if only...
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:39:35 »

We've had a few decent CEO's over the years though
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 12:19:32 »

Power is owner no other chairman has been sole owner.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 12:30:09 »

Let's not kid ourselves that owners/chairmen of years gone by were that much different to Power now.

Divvying up the cash from pay on the gate was rife in clubs up and down the country. Power and his ilk suffer from the much closer inspection of their actions these days - who would have known so much of his previous business history without Google.

Mind you, doing anything about is just as futile as it's always been.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 13:41:56 »

Just playing devils advocate, but what/how would people have felt had Lee Power took over from Diamandis etc and used this way of running the club?? would our perceptions change some what and would have Power be seen in a more positive light??

Is our expectation of owners been raised by the Fitton/Wray/Black era
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 13:49:14 »

Just playing devils advocate, but what/how would people have felt had Lee Power took over from Diamandis etc and used this way of running the club?? would our perceptions change some what and would have Power be seen in a more positive light??

Is our expectation of owners been raised by the Fitton/Wray/Black era

Interesting question, but I do wish to point out that he took over from Jed. Hardly a hard act to follow!

It was a bit close to the Black era, so he was bound to suffer from bumping us back down to financial reality.

Do think he's being judged on his own dissmerits football, wise and reaping what he sows in other areas. I think he'd be judged the same way as he is now...

Personally I think I distrust more because of the Diamandis/Brady bunch type chancers we've had in the past.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: