Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Valiants v Town match day thread  (Read 37896 times)
leftside

Ignore
« on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 07:54:59 »

First time at this, so here goes...

I've a soft spot for the Potteries having lived there for three years while at uni. Stoke was a very down to earth place struggling a bit as most post-indy towns (x6 in this case) do. Despite the gloom, it still had a strong identity, with City and Vale being a significant part of that.

It was a great place to be a student, with several decent, small live music venues. I managed to see a fair number of bands, including Gallon Drunk, Blur, Radiohead, Spectrum, Corduroy and ... Bad Manners. It was a great base for getting to Town games all over the country. At the time, Town were top dogs when it came to clubs supported by my 5-a-side team mates (Town, Burnley, Stoke, Bristol Rovers). Now we're bottom of the pile.

Today's prediction is Vale 1-0 Town. Huffing and puffing but at 5pm we'll be that much closer to relegation.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 08:19:56 »

Off to the Wembley of the North. Let's hope they've finished that stand they've been building for 20 years.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 09:12:49 »

First time at this, so here goes...

I've a soft spot for the Potteries having lived there for three years while at uni. Stoke was a very down to earth place struggling a bit as most post-indy towns (x6 in this case) do. Despite the gloom, it still had a strong identity, with City and Vale being a significant part of that.

It was a great place to be a student, with several decent, small live music venues. I managed to see a fair number of bands, including Gallon Drunk, Blur, Radiohead, Spectrum, Corduroy and ... Bad Manners. It was a great base for getting to Town games all over the country. At the time, Town were top dogs when it came to clubs supported by my 5-a-side team mates (Town, Burnley, Stoke, Bristol Rovers). Now we're bottom of the pile.

Today's prediction is Vale 1-0 Town. Huffing and puffing but at 5pm we'll be that much closer to relegation.

let's hope you're our lucky charm G.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 09:49:18 »

let's hope you're our lucky charm G.
I'm not optimistic.

All well with you?

It's all a bit Lenten on here today.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 09:50:54 »

Just checked todays prices with the bookies, don't understand how they work out their prices,  we're favourites to win  at around 5/4, Vale at around 9/4 and 5/2 the draw.  As a neutral Vale win looks a reasonable price,  but hopefully the bookies have got it right.
Think I'll give this one a miss as far as the betting goes - Come on Town,  we keep getting our last chance,  lets grab it this time !!!!!
2-0 to Town (Hopefully).     Please? Please? Please?

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 09:59:31 »

They say it's the hope that kills you.
Today is our last hope. A loss today and I think that's it for league 1 football for a while.

An unsatisfactory 1-1 that we should've won,and the hope to linger on a bit longer.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 10:09:44 »

They say it's the hope that kills you.
Today is our last hope. A loss today and I think that's it for league 1 football for a while.

An unsatisfactory 1-1 that we should've won,and the hope to linger on a bit longer.
   Blow Up Blow Up COYR

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 10:26:43 »

Pre match avoidance of oatcakes in The Wheatsheaf.

So, the Wembley of the North, 3rd highest league ground.
Started in 1944, still not finished.

If today's match is shite or we are 2 or 3 down, then at least there is the outside chance of a disused mine shaft collapsing and taking both teams with it.
An allegory of the decline of heavy industry and its replacement by the entertainment & service industries.

Don't mind Stokies, a bit insular maybe, but have local pride and are generally salt of the earth proper working class people.
Hope that the descendents of the 56 people transported following the Pottery Riots of 1842 take some pride in their ancestors struggles against worker exploitation.

Good that a small town like Burslem can produce such diverse talent as Josiah Wedgewood, Lemmy, Phil Taylor and err Robbie Williams.

Last chance today, anything other than a win and it would take a miracle to stay up.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 10:45:17 »

Not overly confident today about our trip to "The Wembley of the North" but it does depend on who is actually fit and team selection.

PV have not won in their last 10 matches, 9 league games, scoring 8 goals and conceding 19 goals, 5 defeats and 5 draws.

We have had a mixed bag of results up there 1 defeat and 3 wins in our last 4 games up there but in the last 10 games in Burslem we have won 4 times, 3 draws and 3 defeats.

I have a feeling it will be a 0-0 draw in front of 5,123 fans with 525 Town fans attending.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 11:11:25 »

Wouldn't have normally travelled for this after such a shite season but special offer tickets to Alton Towers tomorrow means hotel it is. Wife nor impressed  kids fucking bouncing!!
Just so desperately need a win, if only to gloat at the wife, who thinks this is a wasted day.

COYR
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 11:17:19 by skiptotheLouMacari » Logged
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 11:15:51 »

No reason to believe that we might actually win this but I have a feeling we just might - too important not too so lets predict a 1-2 win

Bathtime
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 11:59:12 »

I have absolutely no idea what to expect today. Vale appear to be as much as a basket case as we are this season.

I suspect we'll get a draw but a defeat or a victory wouldn't make me fall out of my seat.

It would be great to nick a win before a tough game on Tuesday night!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 14:02:32 »

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 14:02:40 »

Ajose starts

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 14:05:02 »

Nice to see Ajose and Colkett back, Dabo must have failed a fitness test then.

EDIT. Apparently not picked due to the loan restrictions.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 14:12:34 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: