Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Chesterfield Official Matchday Thread  (Read 31003 times)
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 11:57:12 »

Hadn't realised we created that many chances tbf, probably because I never thought we had any chance of scoring them. What's the opposite of rose-tinted? Smiley
brown tinted
scillyred

« Reply #211 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 12:06:14 »

Just watched the Sky Highlight(s) for my weekly footy fix - sadly my team never touched the ball this week  Sad
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 12:24:36 »

We also do not attack the ball. We wait for it to bounce and the deal with it. Our wide play is fucking atrocious.
Disagree with that on the basis of yesterday at least, Thompson, Branco and Ince attacked the ball and won nearly everything. Obika and Norris to a lesser degree fought for everything but both had a shocker.

The most shocking thing for me yesterday was the lack of basics: no movement off the ball, poor passing choices, awful first touch and terrible decision making. I guess some of this can be put down to lack of confidence but if Williams can't get them to keep it simple and focus on doing the basic things right then we are fucked.

It spoke volumes as well that Ince, Thompson and Branco all tried to take matters into their own hands and inject some urgency and our best attacking moves came from these.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 14:13:26 »

brown tinted
Eeeuuurrrggghhhh!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 16:24:45 »

Ive noticed this before. Our movement off the ball is inept.
what movement ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 20:39:59 »

You seem to have viewed the game through the same rose tinted glasses as Williams. Maybe you are him?
I am a fan that's been going since 1972 so no I am not Williams - maybe twice his age apart from anything else. Just enjoy watching and supporting my team and totally fed up with the incessant moaning from fans. Yes it's not great at times but i remember Ken beamish's side and I don't think even he got the abuse that Williams and embleton gets. Seems that the  current supporter is less patient and some of these idiots that can't wait to moan are my age! I sort of understand the youngsters not having patience but the old farts like me for fucks sake get a life support your team or stay at home.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 20:56:40 »

Disagree with that on the basis of yesterday at least, Thompson, Branco and Ince attacked the ball and won nearly everything. Obika and Norris to a lesser degree fought for everything but both had a shocker.

The most shocking thing for me yesterday was the lack of basics: no movement off the ball, poor passing choices, awful first touch and terrible decision making. I guess some of this can be put down to lack of confidence but if Williams can't get them to keep it simple and focus on doing the basic things right then we are fucked.

It spoke volumes as well that Ince, Thompson and Branco all tried to take matters into their own hands and inject some urgency and our best attacking moves came from these.
Good balanced view. I think ajose and colkett missing was crucial as Norris very poor and Rogers was ummm Rogers. Obika clearly not the same impact without ajose and although Brophy and Barry both had good moments we didn't create enough guilt edged chances.
REDBUCK

« Reply #217 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 08:22:01 »

It's not as if that performance should come as a shock against a team that packs it's defence. Last Tuesday's game was much the same until we got a break in the box and took a half chance.

Apart from the two missing key players, everyone else played as they normally do.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 09:11:47 »

It's not as if that performance should come as a shock against a team that packs it's defence. Last Tuesday's game was much the same until we got a break in the box and took a half chance.

Apart from the two missing key players, everyone else played as they normally do.
I'm an infrequent attendee/part time fan who is normally quite optimistic so the performance came as a shock to me.

Although Chesterfield sat very deep, there was still space to exploit which we failed to do and our lack of urgency also allowed them to regroup and get back in position.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 09:25:00 »

I'm an infrequent attendee/part time fan who is normally quite optimistic so the performance came as a shock to me.

Although Chesterfield sat very deep, there was still space to exploit which we failed to do and our lack of urgency also allowed them to regroup and get back in position.

I guess the key to a possession game is of course to keep the ball but also be able to play at pace, 1 and 2 touch passing, lots of movement and playing in triangles. In our play off season this was our style of play, directed mainly by Mass. now I don't think we have the same quality of players and so our movement is poor, passing slow and thus we are nowhere near as dangerous.

We still play a similar style but an 'easier' way of playing. That's my take on it anyway.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 09:48:56 »

I guess the key to a possession game is of course to keep the ball but also be able to play at pace, 1 and 2 touch passing, lots of movement and playing in triangles. In our play off season this was our style of play, directed mainly by Mass. now I don't think we have the same quality of players and so our movement is poor, passing slow and thus we are nowhere near as dangerous.

We still play a similar style but an 'easier' way of playing. That's my take on it anyway.
You are correct Bob, it's the lack of pace that kills me - allows team to regroup and get behind us thwarting attacks which we usually allow to peter out as we have played a stupid ball, whilst looking for the sort of ball that DeBruyne can play with ease but our players are incapable of doing so!
« Last Edit: Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:56:12 by ronnie21 » Logged
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:22:57 »

To top this thred off heard Thompson is all set to go at end of season. Really hope my source is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #222 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:28:56 »

To top this thred off heard Thompson is all set to go at end of season. Really hope my source is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone
I've heard similar. I would not be surprised and if I was in his shoes I'd get the hell out of here.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:31:30 »

heard that from a few places, didn't Mr 'excaliber' Phipps mention it (as rumour) in a Washbag article?

He needs to go for his own good, quite agree Sad
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:57:28 »

Sent from my iPhone
I think we can take that as a given!  Good luck to him, gave us 100% in his time here, just a bit unlucky with injuries.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: