Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coventry City vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25313 times)
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:11:45 »

Great result and some very impressive predictions beforehand.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:22:54 »

...well those Coventry fans at the start of the season were right, we haven't been much cop this season.

Alas for those Coventry fans, their lot are worse. Poor beggars.
1989Monkey

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:45:21 »

Good defensive performance although Vigs will be disappointed to let that shot in for his standards. Clinical finishing for the first time this season was great to see but will mean nothing without following that up with 2 good results in next 2 games. 4 points out of 6 a minimum but must look for all 6

Shame Millwall missed 2 pens in injury time against Oldham as would have been a great weekend with them losing
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:59:37 »

3-1 Swindon
What have you got for the lottery numbers this evening?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:02:31 »

Possible signs of life since William's given full control of team selection. 
Manager of the season Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:31:48 »

How did we play? How did we play?

Short answer: Who cares.

Long answer:
The first 25 or so were fairly even, we looked to have a bit more of a cutting edge but neither team looked anything other than teams low on confidence an low in the league. We had the better of it, and first Brophy (straight at keeper) and Ajose tested Coventry. Coventry themselves had a decent chance before we scored, it looked to be a nervous afternoon.

Then we scored, it was either a fantastic cross or a really shit shot from Gladwin, but the poacher that is Ajose nipped in and tapped to into the net. Assassin.

When Obika doubled the lead from a stooping header after a Colkett cross I though I had entered a parallel universe.

In truth we looked to be more dangerous than them after the first goal. Two last gasp tackles from Turnbull denied Ajose twice - he doesn't look fully sharp yet as he should have been quicker to shoot. This is a good thing, in that two goals and there is still more to come.

Second half Ajose missed a golden chance to put the game t bed when he stepped around the keeper after running on to a through ball, and hit it left footedly high and wide somehow. And then the game started to change and you wonder if that miss was going to be pivital.

On the hour mark Coventry stepped it up, they had to at some point. A 2-0 loss is useless to them. And we seemed to run out of steam and up the nerves as we dropped deeper and deeper. But there was always the chance to catch them on the break, the Coventry defense is more rickety than ours*.

And catch them we did as BOO ran down the left, had options but played a hard square pass that the assassin ran on to and buried. And that floored Coventry. AS they sill huffed and puffed but couldn't really do a lot, an initially well wide shot that was deflected just past Vigs post and the of corner aside. They even introduced Yakubu. "Feed the Yak and he will score" - my advice to Coventry - less pies more salad.

And so into stoppage time with Town fans pinching themselves. I tweet about winning "the must win game" and as I do so Coventry score. Totally missed it. Don't care. Saw the replay and it looked like VIgs could have had it..but given his form and the score who cares.

*actually we defended pretty well.

Now onto the negatives. Jones took a knock and hopefully his withdrawal was just precautionary. The defense have looked better of late IMO and Branco should be benched for now.

And while the win was good, we played OK and were clinical...it was against Coventry...who are absolute pants. Time will tell if we've turned the corner, or if we've just beaten a shit team.

Edit: I've slated Gladwin and Colkett in the past. But since Ince has come in there are signs they can be useful. Gladwin we know has skill but is still lazy. Colkett for me today was MoM.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:33:37 by Batch » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #111 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:37:06 »

Thanks Batch.

I read that in the voice of Stuart Hall.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:45:52 »

Smiley

I'm just reading the Coventry thread. Obviously they ain't happy and I'm sure we can empathize.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/coventry-v-swindon-match-thread-saturday-25th-feb.73239/page-10

Not read much post match yet but this I think a lot of us can relate to this season:

dear dad.....as much as i love you with all my heart what fuckin possesed you to convince me to follow this shower of shit....50 years i've followed the sky blues and never have i seen such a bunch of inept wankers in a city shirt....cheers dad!!!!
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 21:10:50 »

I feel for the Cov fans (one of my mates is one), they have a rich history but been let down by greed by current & previous owners, we think we have it bad, they have it 10x worse as they are owned by what I call leeches who will suck every last penny out of a business and then dismantle it, then move onto the next. They are in the same vain of form of the companies that took over Littlewoods & Comet, ran them into the ground and left the businesses dead. Their future is in doubt but the current owners had offers to walk away with a nice pot of gold but turned it down because their leeching is supposedly working for them.

We have been here before this season though, a good result and some optimism about a good run of games so I am staying tight lipped until after the next 2 games which we have to win BUT we have been playing better recently but missed that clinical finishing which seems we had some of it today (but should have had a couple more).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 21:19:17 »

I am staying tight lipped

It's for the best...
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 22:31:09 »

Thanks for the write up Batch.

It was a must win game and we won it. Hopefully that will raise the confidence levels and we can take the momentum into Tuesday.

We do seem to do better when Branco isn't playing. I hope Jones isn't injured for Tuesday meaning Branco will play in his place.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #116 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 22:43:59 »

A bit unfair on branco who looks good in a 4 but crap in a 5. He's no worse at CB than Jones.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 23:04:47 »

I haven't read any posts or heard any feedback, so sorry if all this has been covered already...
----------------------
Funnily enough, the point at which I accepted relegation as pretty much inevitable, was the point at which we'd been our most creative of the entire season.  At half time against Oldham, we'd had 16 shots, half a dozen of them extremely presentable opportunities, and scored none.  This wasn't just bad luck, or "one of those days" - for me it was symptomatic of our rancid 'developmental' approach to professional football: winning just doesn't matter enough.  Hey, we'll have more chances and score one eventually, and if not *shrugs shoulders* we go again.

So here we are, dilly dallying about whether to go or not all week, but unable to resist one of our more local trips to visit a club so hopeless, that they never ever beat us.  And whilst the afternoon doesn't have the big day out feel of our recent visits to the Ricoh, or even the heady Premier League trip to Highfield Road, there are plenty enough of us here, bringing a confused sense of desperation, pathos and well, whatever, we're here.  I'm slightly confuddled by the Power Outers starting at 0-0 - we're not even losing yet and they demand we get our £350m per week back (stay with me)...meanwhile 20,000 sky blue seats silently scream be careful what you wish for.  To be fair, they were both consistent and innovative, continuing when we were ahead and with a medley of new numbers too.  There was nothing quite as catchy as 'We want Power out' though, and I found myself wondering if some people joined in just because, and whether they'd similarly start imploring the banning of 4G or something, if only a few others started up first.  Or maybe I'm totally unfair, and everyone knows exactly what their chanting for, just as I mustn't patronise those Brexit types either.

Somewhere out there, a football game was going on - and any comments about the quality must also be tempered by acknowledging the absolutely dreadful pitch.  It was clearly a hindrance to our preferred style of keeping the ball in our own half for seventeen hours at a time, so we were forced to occasionally go a bit longer, and even make the league's worst team defend and for us to pick up second balls.  And knock me down with a feather, but this more mixed approach had us look pretty damn threatening at times.  I do recognise that our opponents were comfortably in the atrocious category, but there was a creeping sense of optimism and blimey, even expectation allied with encouragement around me.  Obika was so puzzling - playing once more in a more withdrawn role, which Coventry had no idea how to manage - at one point he won six headers on the trot, simultaneously with giving it away five consecutive times on the deck.  However, it was only right that we went ahead, although from high up behind the goal Ajose looked miles offside, or maybe that was just my instinct, expecting hope and celebration to be cruelly curtailed.  But no, as we pondered that, and loudly asked how poor that Coventry might be, seeing as they were losing to us, we only went and did it again.  My two twins of lethargic one-paced doom, Gladwin and Colkett, delivered quality balls into the box, and our hitherto forlorn strike twins had, er, delivered.

Half time came and went in a fuzzy haze as we perused the record books and internet search engines in vain to check when we were last two goals to the good at the break.  If ever there was a time, that even Swindon couldn't cock this up, it was now.  Whilst we didn't, the second half was a cacophonous disappointment, a reality check so vivid, that my mind wandered to the Division 4 relegation scrap, and the likelihood of both Cheltenham and Newport providing local excitement next season. Here's why, and it's a mindset thing again, and an absolutely damning indictment of our predicament.  Any half decent team would have grabbed our terrible hosts round the neck and not given them a sniff. We, on the other hand, sat deep, stopped winning loose balls, overplayed, relaxed - and relied on Coventry's simple hopelessness to ensure that any number of balls into the box would go unpunished.  It's a mentality that can't be switched on or off, and which most other opponents in this facile division would have (and indeed over the last seven despairing months have) exploited.  Nothing exemplified that more than BOOs pathetic effort to stop their injury time consolation.  My hero Nathan was so furious I thought for a second that he'd deck him, and for another second, I thought, could they really score three in injury time?

Still, looking for optimism, it was in the post match huddle, including all players and coaches.  To be clear, I like this sort of stuff, and it was a genuine display of togetherness, desire and delight.  There was a hearty roar of approval from the 850, and for a moment at least, a feeling that all things may be possible...Gillingham...Chesterfield...Port Vale...This, in a barely vintage season (so far), was my favourite moment (so far).  I will keep trying to believe, and keep supporting.

Sorry to bring politics back into it, but this week I read a great piece suggesting that despite Brexit, Trump and the rise of nationalism, the direction of travel is incessantly, indubitably towards globalisation, moderation and a digital world bringing us closer together.  It was an optimistic read, giving hope that once, say, the French and Germans have elected sensible, progressive leaders, then we might look back on the horrors of 2016 as the death rattle of insular 'old world' views as globalisation, technology and positivity prevail.

Anyway, that's a rather long winded analogy to reflect that although we won today, I still think we'll go down, that the direction of travel is set.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 23:24:23 by Christy » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 23:13:42 »

A bit unfair on branco who looks good in a 4 but crap in a 5. He's no worse at CB than Jones.

Agreed
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 23:17:16 »

Christy, that is a terrific piece of writing, the kind of thing you used to get in fanzines and which I fear the Internet has largely swept aside in favour of pointless spiral arguments, echo chamber chest beating and "bantz".

These two quotes alone are sufficient to merit a weekly column in one of the better Sundays:
meanwhile 20,000 sky blue seats silently scream be careful what you wish for.  

My two twins of lethargic one-paced doom, Gladwin and Colkett, delivered quality balls into the box, and our hitherto forlorn strike twins had, er, delivered.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: